SHM Nightmare... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 05-06-2002, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Angry SHM Nightmare...

it was bad enough that the freight company that handled the FIRST shortblock dropped the thing , then they put me off for another 4 days because they couldn't be bothered to contact sean to get approval to send me a new motor...It took about a month from the time of my order until i had a shortblock in front of me...they got the new block here, but still no head studs as advertised on their website. I can't believe they didn't send my head studs 2nd day air...the extra cost would not have been prohibitive, and to make me wait 2 more weeks, when they should have been included with my order is ludicrous.

it has been two months since i placed my order and i STILL don't have all the parts!

so, i'm here without a car because they couldn't see fit to spend an extra $10 to make their customer happy...

AND NOW...
the guy that's building my engine says he's only seen 3 SHM motors and they all suck down oil like nobody's business!

i wrote that before i talked to Jim this afternoon

well, i think they've definitely lost a customer with me.
they haven't even SHIPPED the headstuds even though Jim promised to send them 10 days ago!

I told Jim that i want them to overnight the studs to me so I can get my car out of the shop.

I can't believe they would promise to do something they had no intention of doing, and leaving me, the customer, hanging...

maybe when they cash your check, they are done with the niceities like telling the truth...

There are plenty of engine builders right here in the states without ordering something from another country...imagine the legal hassles if they don't perform their side of the contract.

oh well...
live and learn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-06-2002, 05:12 PM

That is the reason when I got the new engine in the car I had a local shop build it and installed, because I didn't want to deal with the headaches that you are having now. I hope everything works out.

Carlos

2001 Roush Stage II

Supercharger:
D-1SC 12lbs boost 3 core intercooled, Bullit Intake, Pro-m Universal Mass Air, 42 lbs inj, Accufab Single Blade TB

Engine Mods:
2001 Block, P&P Heads, CP Pistons 17cc, Manley H-Beam Rods, Cobra Crank, Plasma Ring, HP Bearings, ARP Main/Head Studs, ModMax Valve Springs, Mod Oversize Valves, HP Blower Cams, SVO HI-Flow Oil Pump, ATI SFI Balancer Fel-Pro Gasket Kit

Return Fuel System: Sump Fuel Tank, Weldon Pump, Weldon Regulator, Steeda Fuel Rails

Drivetrain Mods:
Steeda Tri-Ax, Ram Billet Flywheel, Spec Stage III Clutch, FRP Aluminum Driveshaft, FMS 3.73 Gears

Exhaust Mods:
Mac Longtubes, Dr. Gas X-Pipe both ceramic coted

Visual Mods:
Autometer Phamton Monster Tach, Boost Guage, Fuel Guage, Water Temp Guage, Oil Pressure Guage, PEP Tach Adapter, John Brooks Tach Bracket

Dyno tuned by Fordchip
530rwhp, 490rwtq
post #3 of 21 Old 05-06-2002, 06:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I have a bad motor right now, a broken ring land on the #4 piston, and am looking to get a new motor. And so far I have heard nothing but horror stories about SHM!!! A friend of mine is on his 3rd motor from them. I think I will be going elsewhere for mine. Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope you get up and running again soon. Good luck.

2006 GT - Paxton NOVI 2200 Intercooled Supercharger, FRPP Twin 65mm Throttle Body, Diablo Predator and MAFia, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Tokico D-Spec Shocks/Struts, Metco Billet Lower Control Arms, DBA Slotted Rotors, Hawk Pads, Goodrich SS Brake Lines, Shelby Razor 20"X9" wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 05-06-2002, 08:56 PM

When I bought my motor from them about 1 1/2 years ago, the economy was a little stronger than now, all the shops were busy as hell, SHM was about the only source around, and I remember the waiting to be a little frustrating. HP was selling built engines, and that was about it. There are a lot of other sources now.

However, I got a good engine. It uses no oil, and I have had zero problems with it. I did have to add the oil pump gears later. That's another story, but they were not standard on my engine. Scott has been more than helpful more than once.

I think it fair to attack SHM about the difficulty of dealing with them sometimes. But I don't think it accurate or fair to attack their products without first hand knowledge. I also don't think it fair to attack other shops without first hand knowledge.

GOROBGO...it sounds to me like you have a legitimate reason to feel frustrated and upset. But chances are you are getting a good engine. MHO

Ralph Greene
post #5 of 21 Old 05-06-2002, 09:04 PM

That sucks. Good luck with the resolution.

Reading posts about SHM and dealing with them myself. Here's my conclusions:
-prices are high but the product of parts is quality
-SHM customer service is helpful on questions and the company seems to know what they are doing on parts but are in the business to make money
-SHM customers are either 100% happy or 100% pissed
-most major SHM legit complaints usually are about complete engines(short or long blocks) and the timeframe for completion and problems encountered afterwards

Personally, after your posts and many others, I will not buy a engine from them but I would buy parts. IMHO I don't think I will buy any engine(except a new Ford complete warrantied) from anyone(not just SHM) complete aftermarket engines just seem to come with problems.

I've went through 2 engine rebuilds and getting parts was nightmare enough(wrong parts, parts not sent on time, backordered parts) and that was dealing with local guy putting it together. Dealing with someone out of state over a whole engine sounds horrible. I haven't even been able to get a quote from a few guys.

good luck on getting it back on the road.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-06-2002, 10:09 PM

Hey scroush2001
Who built your motor?
Thanks Andy
post #7 of 21 Old 05-07-2002, 02:48 AM

Sometimes we all run through difficult moments. Things don't go perfectly and as you know if the shipping company had not mishandled your engine you would probably be happy at this time. All I can tell you is this, quality is expensive and experienced help is expensive also. No one ever considers the work involved in being an innovator or creator of a product. Yes, there are certainly cheaper places you can go, but you get what you get then and your gonna complain about that too.

7.50 @ 184 in Dallas
7.49 @ 186 in Phoenix
7.45 @ 186 in Pomona

Who do you think built the motor in my car? The same guy that built yours. Relax a little.

John Mihovetz

Fastest Modular Car in the World Period!!
5.88 @254.9 mph
PCSA Pro Street Champion 2008
Accufabracing.com
post #8 of 21 Old 05-07-2002, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Mihovetz
Sometimes we all run through difficult moments. Things don't go perfectly and as you know if the shipping company had not mishandled your engine you would probably be happy at this time. All I can tell you is this, quality is expensive and experienced help is expensive also. No one ever considers the work involved in being an innovator or creator of a product. Yes, there are certainly cheaper places you can go, but you get what you get then and your gonna complain about that too.

7.50 @ 184 in Dallas
7.49 @ 186 in Phoenix
7.45 @ 186 in Pomona

Who do you think built the motor in my car? The same guy that built yours. Relax a little.

John Mihovetz
Who's your daddy? Get your punk ass back to work and finish that car! Reggie says if you don't hurry up and finish it he's gonna make you his new pit biooootch
post #9 of 21 Old 05-07-2002, 09:48 AM

Sorry to hear that bro. Lieing to your customers. What a great way to do business.
I had a similar experience with a set of fuel rails. Five weeks I waited for those things. And every time i called they told me that they were supposed to ship out tomorrow. Bah. After hearing that same story three times i decided to take my business elsewhere.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-07-2002, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Stewart

Get your punk ass back to work and finish that car!
Same with you my brother. KING/STEWART race must go on. My side is looking good.

BTW: Wait till you see the back side of the new Mod Motor T shirt, its both of our cars leaving the line with the wheels up. Its really cool.
I'll get you a preview when I see you on MIRC.

Dave

Dave King
2004 Mustang Cobra [email protected]
1997 Mustang Cobra 8.32 @168
post #11 of 21 Old 05-07-2002, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Mihovetz
All I can tell you is this, quality is expensive and experienced help is expensive also. No one ever considers the work involved in being an innovator or creator of a product. Yes, there are certainly cheaper places you can go, but you get what you get then and your gonna complain about that too.

7.50 @ 184 in Dallas
7.49 @ 186 in Phoenix
7.45 @ 186 in Pomona

I respect you and your times and your car is bad ass, but after spending the money that you have, I would hope those were your results! The average Joe who spends $4-8K should receive the same customer service as some like you who probably has $50-100k or even more tied up in that company. All he's asking for now is head studs. That has absolutely ZERO to do with being an innovator of something. It's all about the customer service!!

2012 Silver GT, M6, Brembos, 3.73s, Lethal OR-H, K&N, tuned
post #12 of 21 Old 05-07-2002, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave King

BTW: Wait till you see the back side of the new Mod Motor T shirt, its both of our cars leaving the line with the wheels up. Its really cool.
I'll get you a preview when I see you on MIRC.

Dave
where can we get a shirt like that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Let the Fox 4.6 Conversion Begin!
wifes ride
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my fake snake 89 svt cobra-
post #13 of 21 Old 05-07-2002, 10:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc00GT
I respect you and your times and your car is bad ass, but after spending the money that you have, I would hope those were your results! The average Joe who spends $4-8K should receive the same customer service as some like you who probably has $50-100k or even more tied up in that company. All he's asking for now is head studs. That has absolutely ZERO to do with being an innovator of something. It's all about the customer service!!
Marc00GT ---- Well said! It all boils down to the pocketbook. The more $$$, the more personalized service. I'm very glad that SHM now has some competition. I wonder if some of the big $$$ spenders @ SHM have to be concerned about getting their head studs as well? < things that make you go hmmmmmmm >.

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,

Part-Owner,
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - [email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
post #14 of 21 Old 05-08-2002, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up wow!

much respect, guys!
that's one helluva car you've got, John, and to pilot that thing must take nads of steel!
I must admit that your involvement with SHM's product was a contributing factor in my purchase. As you suggest, i'm pretty certain I'll be quite happy once the motor is in the car and i'm back on the road...

sean has taken matters into his own hands and did send the headstuds out UPS overnight. unfortunately, they are tied up in customs:
Quote:
Exception
Resched. Delivery: May 9, 2002
Shipped to: GRASS VALLEY, CA, US
Service Type: EXPRESS
such is life when doing business with foreign countries these days...

as for the headstuds, they don't supply them with the shortblocks anymore, but neglected to amend their webpage until after i inquired as to where 'my' studs were, so i guess i'm pretty lucky that sean approved sending them to me in the first place...
post #15 of 21 Old 05-09-2002, 02:48 AM

Well as far as spending the big $$$, these people are allways going to get the first class treatment and I can't blame SHM for that. I would not expect SHM to make feel fuzzy inside when ever I call them, however if you lie that is just plain piss poor customer service. Most of the times if you tell a customer the truth about the status of their order up front a lot of people will be more understanding. I have not heard of one peformance shop that gets it right all the time but they should strive to be error free and honest.

2002 YZF-R1 12:00 Wheelies
1999 Cobra

AFS Cobra Rs Front 17x9 on 255/45 Back 17x10.5 on 285/40 R17's.

Tweecer RT
DS clutch peddle lowering device
Steeda Triax.
Kenny Brown Sports package
Bilstein Shocks\Struts (Cobra R)
K&N airfilter.
FRPP aluminum drive shaft (4602-J)
SPEC stage II clutch
Alumimum fly wheel
Steeda Tri-ax
Novi 1000 (not currently on the car)
13.51 @ 103.2 mph N/A

New Mods
2001 Head/Block due to water damage ---- (engine died 1 month later, oil pump failed)

1999 Long block from Ford now installed. (putting blower back on in about 6 months)

Last edited by austinTX; 05-09-2002 at 10:51 AM.
post #16 of 21 Old 05-09-2002, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by austinTX
Well as far as spending the big $$$, these people are allways going to get the first class treatment and I can't blame SHM for that
I don't know about that. My car has been waiting to get worked on for about a month now. I wait my turn in line with the rest of the customers that get much less work done than I do.

I don't complain, its the way it is, and its the way it should be. I think that anyone that deals with Scott Cushman gets the same treatment. He does his best to support all of the SHM customers.

Don't forget everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Seans strengths are his engine building capabilities. Personally thats all what matters to me. But then again, everyone has their own needs.

No shop is perfect, I recommend anyone that has any issues to deal with Scott Cushman. He's the best.

Dave King
2004 Mustang Cobra [email protected]
1997 Mustang Cobra 8.32 @168
post #17 of 21 Old 05-09-2002, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I don't know about that. My car has been waiting to get worked on for about a month now. I wait my turn in line with the rest of the customers that get much less work done than I do.
This may be true, however I was refering to the level of customer service you get compared to someone that is a first time customer.

2002 YZF-R1 12:00 Wheelies
1999 Cobra

AFS Cobra Rs Front 17x9 on 255/45 Back 17x10.5 on 285/40 R17's.

Tweecer RT
DS clutch peddle lowering device
Steeda Triax.
Kenny Brown Sports package
Bilstein Shocks\Struts (Cobra R)
K&N airfilter.
FRPP aluminum drive shaft (4602-J)
SPEC stage II clutch
Alumimum fly wheel
Steeda Tri-ax
Novi 1000 (not currently on the car)
13.51 @ 103.2 mph N/A

New Mods
2001 Head/Block due to water damage ---- (engine died 1 month later, oil pump failed)

1999 Long block from Ford now installed. (putting blower back on in about 6 months)
post #18 of 21 Old 05-09-2002, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

well, even though i'm angry...

i have to admit that they treated me like any other customer. when the motor was dropped, they put my order ahead of everyone else (Dave and John included)to get the new block to me. They have been very nice and helpful, answering my many questions with expertise not found in many shops.

i just wish they were USA-based, because my 'overnight' headstuds are taking 4 days to get here!
Quote:
May 9, 2002 6:58 A.M. MATHER AIRPORT, CA, US LOCATION SCAN
5:45 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
3:58 A.M. LOUISVILLE INTL, KY, US DEPARTURE SCAN
12:17 A.M. GRADE LANE HUB, KY, US LOCATION SCAN
May 8, 2002 11:22 P.M. LOUISVILLE IMPORT, KY, US IMPORT SCAN
10:02 P.M. LOUISVILLE INTL, KY, US UPS INTERNAL ACTIVITY CODE;BROKERAGE RELEASED. WAITING FOR CUSTOMS
10:02 P.M. LOUISVILLE INTL, KY, US UPS INTERNAL ACTIVITY CODE;BROKERAGE RELEASED. WAITING FOR CUSTOMS
1:20 A.M. LOUISVILLE IMPORT, KY, US WAREHOUSE SCAN
1:06 A.M. LOUISVILLE IMPORT, KY, US IMPORT SCAN
May 7, 2002 9:05 P.M. HAMILTON-INTERNATION, ON, CA EXPORT SCAN
9:04 P.M. HAMILTON-INTERNATION, ON, CA LOCATION SCAN
7:45 P.M. LOUISVILLE INTL, KY, US UPS INTERNAL ACTIVITY CODE
7:45 P.M. LOUISVILLE INTL, KY, US UPS INTERNAL ACTIVITY CODE;UPS INTERNAL ACTIVITY CODE
7:29 P.M. LONDON CANADA, ON, CA EXPORT SCAN
7:28 P.M. LONDON CANADA, ON, CA ORIGIN SCAN
4:54 P.M. CA BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
if SHM was in the states, i would have had my motor together weeks ago.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-09-2002, 11:58 AM

Quote:

BTW: Wait till you see the back side of the new Mod Motor T shirt, its both of our cars leaving the line with the wheels up. Its really cool. I'll get you a preview when I see you on MIRC.

Dave
Dave .... is the picture of your wheels up Before or after you went so high you hit your rear bumper and then smashed your headers???

Sorry, coudln't resist!

hahahahahaha

§cott Ö1 Çoßra (formerly) 96Çobra

post #20 of 21 Old 05-10-2002, 04:15 PM

Quote:

I think that anyone that deals with Scott Cushman gets the same treatment. He does his best to support all of the SHM customers.

Don't forget everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Seans strengths are his engine building capabilities. Personally thats all what matters to me. But then again, everyone has their own needs.

No shop is perfect, I recommend anyone that has any issues to deal with Scott Cushman. He's the best.

I agree with you Dave.

I get so tired of hearing people wine and gripe about the same thing over and over.
Why is it that people only want to complain about SHM? I guess no one has got screwed by any other company Should I break out my list???
I have learned in life that you can't make some people happy. They are still going to wine and complain.

Scott was the one who took my phone call almost 2 years ago inquiring about the SHM motor.
And after 2 years he is still the one I choose to do business with. If I call inquiring about something, he doesn't just try to sell me things. He treats me like a friend. That is what is important to me.

And BTW Dave you need to say off the phone with Scott sometimes so I can reach him and not his vice mail
I need to get that fuzzy feeling that austinTX says you don't get when talking to SHM

And I got my money on you in the KING/STEWART race

Heather
post #21 of 21 Old 05-10-2002, 05:58 PM

So maybe they need to get about 10 more Scott's and fire half their staff. I for one, have used two other local Houston companies since then, and they have both left me happy. So i have no reason to complain about them. It doesn't take much to make me happy. Do what you say you are going to do. That is all I ask. Simple as that. I understand that fuel rails aren't a huge sale, but they definately would have led to one. To bad for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement