What does it mean when your ABS light comes on and..... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-05-2002, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
What does it mean when your ABS light comes on and.....

What does it mean when your ABS light comes on and.....your traction control stays default to the off postion no matter if you press the button again or not. I was driving it and this happened...unplugged the battery and no luck fixing it...but it did go off for about 15miles then came back on again. When you do the intrument cluster thingy on the 99+ i get something that looks like dtcd043...but the letter after the c looks more like an upside down P. The car will spin freely so I no the TC isnt working. After it went off the first time it started working and pressing the button did change between on/off. I have right amount of brake fluid in the car and the brakes feel fine. What could this be???....thanks in advance..

Travis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-05-2002, 11:19 PM

When the ABS light comes on and stays on, it means your ABS is malfunctioning and you shouldn't expect it to work. It's no surprise that the TCS would be disabled as well, because one of the things it relies on is ABS.

Your 2000 is probably under warranty, I assume -- unless you've heavily modded it just take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. ABS is not something you should expect to be able to fix yourself. At most, you could pull the wheels and check the ABS gear teeth and pickup to make sure there's nothing really obvious wrong. Past that I would leave it alone and take it to an expert.

post #3 of 10 Old 05-06-2002, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

TTT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-06-2002, 10:40 AM

There is no way to guess what is wrong with your abs. You need to get it looked at.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-06-2002, 10:43 AM

Yeah..I have had the same problems with my 02 GT, but mine only does it when it is hot outside. I need to take it to the shop, just haven't had time.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-06-2002, 10:57 AM

I have a real good guess, and it is one of those that makes you slap yourself in the forehead. Mine has done it before...

Check the brake fluid level. The new systems in our cars in extremely sensitive, and one drop below the sensor, and it will illuminate the ABS light.

Pour an ounce or two in, and I bet you it will turn off.

goodluck,
joe

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #7 of 10 Old 05-06-2002, 10:59 AM

hrm, sounds like an idea. Ill give it a try, but if all else fails i will take it to the dealer. hehe GG warranty
post #8 of 10 Old 05-06-2002, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenGT
I have a real good guess, and it is one of those that makes you slap yourself in the forehead. Mine has done it before...

Check the brake fluid level. The new systems in our cars in extremely sensitive, and one drop below the sensor, and it will illuminate the ABS light.

Pour an ounce or two in, and I bet you it will turn off.

goodluck,
joe
A good guess, thats what I thought mine was but its at the max level on the side, way above the sensor area. It did it again today where it went on for about 10 miles then back off. Wont be able to take it in till wednesday. Im sure ford will tell me my shifter knob caused the ABS to go out Anyone else had this problem?

Travis
post #9 of 10 Old 05-06-2002, 04:52 PM

You may give the ABS fuse a look. My light came on a few months ago and upon inspection I found the blades of the fuse had gotten corroded. Cleaned it and no problems since.
My car has also spent the first few years of its life near a beach. Corrosion on fuse blades is not usually common. Worth a look though.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-07-2002, 04:56 AM

ABS is out again

I know what you are talking about, I had the same problem but when it rains. I took mine in on 7/11/01 and now it did it agian, and it is the same sensor. Mine is the Right front, when I took it in before they replaced the sensor and then they had to replace the Moduel to get it fixed. Mine is under warrenty so I was glad, if this happens again after they fix it this time, Me and the dealer will be having a long talk. I am waiting for the part to get in. Should be a couple of days, those who have had this problem see if it is the Right Front Wheel sensor, if it is then there is a major problem going on, and this might need to be done as a recall if there is allot of people with the same problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement