Bilstein HD vs sport vs race struts - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-04-2002, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Bilstein HD vs sport vs race struts

Gents,
I have Bilstein HD struts that I put on over a year ago. They are a vast improvement over stock, but still seem slightly underdamped with the Steeda Sport springs that I am running (rated 650 lb).

Does anyone know the difference between the HD, sport and race valved struts? Any specific specs to compare them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-04-2002, 10:22 AM

If you're referring to the MM race valved struts, I can provide a qualitative comparison between the MM raved valved struts and the sport valved struts as I recently switched from the Sport valved struts to the raced valved struts. Maybe someone else can chime in with details relating to the Sports and HD's to fill in the gap.

The race valved struts have considerably more rebound and compression damping relative to the sports. I'd say maybe 25-50% more compression and rebound damping. They are considerably firmer, but not at all harsh.

IMO, the 650 lb/in springs your running are too soft for the weight of your car (unless you have a 3000 lb SN-95 ). It could be that you're mistaking the body movement associated with the low spring rate for the struts being underdamped in compression. I believe the HD's are good for up to around an 800 lb/in spring. Too light of a spring canl make the struts/shocks feel underdamped.

You may want to up the spring rates to around 750-800 lb/in and see if you still think the Sports are underdamped for your liking. On SN-95 cars, you can run a 750-800 lb spring with nearly no loss in ride quality, providing you have a suitable strut. I used the Sport valved struts with H&R Race springs (750-850 lb/in progressive) and the ride was what I'd consider soft/smooth.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Blown46Cobra; 05-04-2002 at 10:26 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-04-2002, 10:43 AM

Here's a link to a thread that states the damping rates for the R strut and sport strut.

https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...ilstein+struts

If you do a search for sport damping in the RR/A-X forum and you'll likely find the damping rates for the Sport valved struts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement