What's the status on the high flow 4V heads, cams and intake? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-03-2002, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
What's the status on the high flow 4V heads, cams and intake?

Maybe old news and maybe obvious news,
but FRRP catalog has the 4v FR500 heads in it. And mentions it should be used in conjuction with the modified cams, springs, valves and the intake. Both of which are not out yet. Are they available yet or any word on them? Or maybe a complete head available yet?

Think they will be worth it.

Thanks alot for the info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-04-2002, 11:04 AM

I have a set of the FR500 heads - bought them bare. Got tired of "soon" to happen from FRPP for cams, valvetrain, and intake. So I picked up a set of SHM cams, ModMax valves and springs, and am having them p/p by TheGame. Am patiently waiting to get them back and install. I will post dyno results when it's back together. Currently at 295 rwhp and hoping for 350+ rwhp.

If you are really interested, go ahead with the bare heads and if you don't want to wait for soon (first time I heard "soon"was 9/00 and all the parts are yet to be available. There are many choices including your stock cams and valvetrain, but that limits the benefit of the heads. Cams from Crane, HP, SHM, etc and valve components are available. Build them up and forget about "soon".

99 black/black/black Cobra conv #926 of 4055, Autopower 4-pt rollbar, Cobra Imola II kevlar seats, Hooker long-tube headers, Bassani catback, Maximum Motorsports tubular K-member, front control arms, strut tower brace and c/c plates, Pro 5.0 shifter, FMS 3.73 gears, DiabloSport chip, FR500 steering wheel, Prospeed Porsche 993TT "Big Red" 4 piston calipers, Mirage Motorsports front brake duct kit, engine by Superior Automotive featuring J/E forged pistons, Manley rods and valves, ported FR500 heads, SHM Stage 2 cams, Comp Cams valve springs, Fluidyne aluminum radiator, T-56 transmission, Spec Stage 2 clutch, Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Dyno results (SAE Corrected) : 350 rwhp, 329 rwtq
post #3 of 10 Old 05-04-2002, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, that's what I thought "will be released soon". I'm not rushing, looking to build a complete engine by end of summer and just swap the whole thing out and sell my entire working engine TB to Flywheel, instead of a rebuild, lots of time down. Waiting for work and parts is a PITA, but waiting for them and not being able to drive the car is intolerable. been there done that, not again if i can avoid it.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-04-2002, 07:57 PM

How much are those heads bare? Also, I didn't think the FR500 heads were smog legal in California. I'm not familiar with all the intricacies of the inspections, but I thought you needed a visual and carb approved numbers for performance items. Do they not check the heads to see what they are? Or, Venom, do you just know where to go?

2006 Nissan 350Z - Daily Driver
1988 Mustang GT - My first car. Parts scattered all over the house.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 F150 XLT - Stolen RIP
post #5 of 10 Old 05-04-2002, 08:02 PM

I would like to know how on Earth any inspection jockey will have ANY clue the heads aren't stock. The 5.0's it was easy to tell if you had Al heads. There is no way they would dissasemble to check. I can't imagine they would cause a N/A engine to fail under any circumstances.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-04-2002, 08:30 PM

99BlackVenom,

What level of SHM cams did you buy?

Thanks
post #7 of 10 Old 05-04-2002, 10:54 PM

Here's a link that I got off an old post on Stangnet about this topic. I'm not sure if the heads are complete or bare, but they are $750 per side. I would think they are complete...but, who knows.

http://www.parkwayfordga.com/pages/P.../frppparts.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 Old 05-05-2002, 10:32 AM

I'm not too worried about smog - got a friend in the business. Besides I'm on the way to creating a track only car anyway.

The $750/ea is the price typically quoted. I bought mine 2nd hand, but still new in the box for $1400 shipped.

I went with Stage 2 SHM cams. Stage 1 was too mild and I did want to street the car for a while, so picked the middle ground. When I got them, SHM had just started their "fire sale" of $750 per set of 4 w/o exchange. Couldn't touch that price for regrinds anywhere else. ProPower has announced billet cams for both 2V and 4V modular engines at $395 per cam. There are several grinds on their website, but the last I heard only a few of the 2V were ready for shipment. I haven't seen the cam specs yet from them. Try www.propowerparts.com if interested.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-05-2002, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 99BlackVenom
I'm not too worried about smog - got a friend in the business.
Given that I don't know anyone there, would I still be alright using these heads. I'm planning on moving to SoCal.

Quote:
Originally posted by 99BlackVenom
The $750/ea is the price typically quoted. I bought mine 2nd hand, but still new in the box for $1400 shipped.
Are they worth it? I can't believe those are bare heads. My SOHC 5.4 heads weren't even $400 per head complete and new from Ford. WOW!

post #10 of 10 Old 05-10-2002, 09:39 AM

Can't say that I know enough about how the result will fare in smog testing.

In terms of worth it, I road race the car fairly often and wanted to stay NA. Too many cases of reliability problems with SC. Barry Shepard ran 11.92 (see Mar 02 MMFF) with these heads, with FRPP cams and intake (both not yet available to general public). Estimated 422hp at flywheel. So it seemed the best setup available for NA modular.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement