New Cobra in June M/T - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-03-2002, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
New Cobra in June M/T

P. 30, 1st drive.

They posited whether it could reasonably be compared to an E46 M3.

"In fact, this maxiu- strength Mustang does feel sufficiently refined to take a run at the M3."

"Gone is the nose-heavy understeer we associate with past Mustangs, SVT or not. It corners pretty close to neutral until you dab the powerful brakes, which brings the tail around sharply, but precisely."

Was this guy on nawwss? Or does this thing deliver? we will see. But it certainly should quell the squawking about the horrible weight penalty of the iron block.

More intersting was the test of a Lingenfelter LS1 vs. an F/A-18 Hornet. The 7L monster did a 1/4 in 9.24 at 150.27 mph! It out accelerated the Hornet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (5)
Any #s?

'12 MB SLS AMG Designo
MHP v3 CDT:513rwhp/440rwtq SAE

'12 MB E63 AMG
MHP v3 CDT:618rwhp/740rwtq SAE
post #3 of 6 Old 05-03-2002, 11:26 PM

Re: New Cobra in June M/T

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra'03

More intersting was the test of a Lingenfelter LS1 vs. an F/A-18 Hornet. The 7L monster did a 1/4 in 9.24 at 150.27 mph! It out accelerated the Hornet.
Well, you have to consider the sweet spots of each vehicle. When the British pilot that broke the sound barrier in Thrust was asked how the car drove, he replied that it was a real dog from 60-150 mph, but from 150-600 it pulled pretty hard. My GT always seems to run out of breath past 425....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-04-2002, 03:18 AM

My sentimates exactly! What a foolish comparison for a magazine to publish! How many damn corvettes will go 750 mph at sea level? or climb to 50,000 ft in one minute? how about cruise along at 1,100 mph at 35,000 ft. Hornets don't need to run the damn quarter mile. At the end of it, their airborne!

Also keep in mind that a Hornet off a cat shot on the carrier goes from 0 to 150 mph in less than 3 seconds and 300 feet. Top fuel dragster would be a closer comparison than some tuner corvette. But still, not a valid comparison at all.

Why don't they do an article on the similarites between jumping out of a hot air baloon from 20,000 ft. and taking a dump in the bathroom at a burger king.

I realize this has nothing to do with the original post. I don't care. My intention is to fly hornets in the near future so I had to pipe up when I saw them mentioned in the magazine article.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-04-2002, 05:56 AM

I think you guys are silly. M/T is finally getting back to doing some interesting articles finally.

Of course the jet starts screaming like a banshee after 150 mph.

Still a Corvette beat it in a the quarter mile. That is pretty amazing! Take it for what it is worth. Fact of the matter is there are few of us here that could even keep up with that jet, even if it's not in its powerband! I know I can't.

I think it is good to see some novelty from an otherwise bland magazine.

Anybody remember the jet powered corvette article in M/T back in 1978? Even though I was 2 it had to be one of the coolest projects I have ever seen.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-04-2002, 11:43 AM

Sounds like the Cobra is a pretty refined all around package, despite so many people saying it's based on a Fairmont chassis. I really don't care, it's the end result that counts. There's been many cars over the years that have had all the best parts, but didn't perform worth crap in the real world because of lack of development.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement