Fuel question/poss. problem??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-03-2002, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Fuel question/poss. problem???

I'm curious to how everyones fuel pressure is reading. At idle mine reads 32-34psi. When getting on the throttle it goes to about 40 and when entering boost it shoots to 60psi. I know everynes pressure will read a little different on hot days and such. Is this normal? My pressure never goes lower then 28-30 and that's only when decellerating.

My main thing is I notice when cruising my pressure might read let's say 40psi . When I take my foot of the gas and am decelerating without braking the fuel pressure,after a few seconds,shoots to 60psi and then back to 40psi.Should this happen? It's been happening since my retune and don't know what to make of it.
I thought I heard someone say something about goinginto vacuum causes this and the chip might need to be reburnt. I hope it's not causing any damage. Anyone?Also, what are the signs of a fuel pump going bad? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-03-2002, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

ttt before something blows

post #3 of 9 Old 05-04-2002, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

oh come on, someone must have some input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-04-2002, 07:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete361
oh come on, someone must have some input.
Pete,
Fp should be at 40 psi (without vacuum attached). Once you even tap the gas peddle the fuel pressure should rise. Check all your vacuum sources and the fuel system over real carefully.

Good luck,
Tim

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Part-Owner,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - [email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
post #5 of 9 Old 05-05-2002, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

1BadAzz, so your saying my pressure seems a little low at idle? What about the second part of my worries? Do you have any advice on that? Pressure jumps from 40 to 60 and back down to 40psi when decelerating only. I'm wondering if that is normal. Thanks
post #6 of 9 Old 05-05-2002, 11:31 AM

Sounds normal

My pressure jumped around quite a bit. On the returnless fuel system the pressures seem to vary quite a bit and drop very rapid when off throttle. Put it on the dyno and have an air/fuel ratio done if you are concerned. Normally you will have drivability problems if there is a fuel management problem. That shooting to 60 psi sounds a little wierd, but it sounds RICH....much better than lean.

Joe Zitelli http://www.waynesdyno.net/Race.html
99 GT w/AODE, ATI P1SC Stage I (8psi), 2 Core Intercooler, Pro-M MAF, 255 l/hr Walbro Fuel Pump, 42lb Injectors, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back exhaust (Ultra Flo Welded Mufflers), BBK Off-Road X-Pipes, JMS/TrueBlue custom Chip, Autometer Boost Pillar Mount Gauge, Transgo shift kit
Dyno Results
….........Now.......Stock
RWHP..355.6......212.6
RWTQ 380.8......278.1 Best Time 1/4 mile on BFG KDW's
12.56 at 109.28mph But now I have 3.73's...11's?? Now with BFG Drag Radials's-11's DEFINITELY

Last edited by zitellijk; 05-05-2002 at 11:36 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-05-2002, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Zitellijk- thanks for the input. I try to keep an eye on things. I would say I'm running on the rich side because I asked for a safe tune and stressed I didn't want to run lean. I haven't noticed any black smoke. But I will surely take it in for a check up. I just hate having to drive all the way to N.J.

How's your fuel/cooling system doing? I was planning on upping the boost on mine to a 12# pulley because I seemed to loose some after my header install and rebuild. I just hope the intake holds up now.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-05-2002, 09:22 PM

My Fuel/cooling systems have been fine (knocking on wood). I have enough traction problems that I am staying with 8 PSI. How is your tranny holding up? Do you have a nice firm downshift in overdrive at higher speeds? When I nail it at like 60mph it winds like it’s about to do a neutral drop because it doesn’t downshift right away. I am trying to have my chip adjusted to help it but I wasn’t sure if it was a common problem. Was the rebuild precautionary or did you break something? How much was the rebuild with forged goodies?
Thanks for the info.

Joe Zitelli http://www.waynesdyno.net/Race.html
99 GT w/AODE, ATI P1SC Stage I (8psi), 2 Core Intercooler, Pro-M MAF, 255 l/hr Walbro Fuel Pump, 42lb Injectors, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back exhaust (Ultra Flo Welded Mufflers), BBK Off-Road X-Pipes, JMS/TrueBlue custom Chip, Autometer Boost Pillar Mount Gauge, Transgo shift kit
Dyno Results
….........Now.......Stock
RWHP..355.6......212.6
RWTQ 380.8......278.1 Best Time 1/4 mile on BFG KDW's
12.56 at 109.28mph But now I have 3.73's...11's?? Now with BFG Drag Radials's-11's DEFINITELY
post #9 of 9 Old 05-06-2002, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Well, I just got off the phone with Larocca's with my 2500rpm surging problem that only happens when cruising at about 70mph and it could be one of a few different things. The car might be going in and out of overdrive or it might be something with a bypass valve( or lack of). Either way they will need to check it out to know for sure. As far as me wanting to up my boost to 12# they said the fuel system might not be able to handle it.( I'll double check on that when I go there.)

Zitellijk- I can't tell if my transmisson is shot or not. I know when I hit the gas I get a lagging response. It's been doing that since the charger install so I'd say its normal with automatics. It seems like the power needs a second to kick in. I'd have a professional check it out though because they go sooner or later I hear.

I toasted three pistons and needed the rebuild. I hit 10# of boost and held it there for too long. I thought the car would shift itself(automatic) but it didn't and stayed at redline too long. oh-well.I stopped trying to figure that one out. Block was undamaged !

Can you say 9k?

I almost forget- My fuel pressure woes are for naught. 32# at idle seems to be okay and my decel jump seems normal also.

Last edited by Pete361; 05-06-2002 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement