Can engine Jump Timing? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-03-2002, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Can engine Jump Timing?

I have a 98 GT with the mods listed below. I installed the LT intake and heads at the same time. Car was awsome running great and everything.

Then on my way to work I heard a crap load of noise and a horrible banging sound. After removing the intake I noticed that 4 of the valve guides had came out. I thought ok nothing big

well the valves hit ths pistons. Which bent the valves and in turn broke the guides I am assuming.

My question is is it possible that it could have been off time the whole time after the install? I mean it ran great for about 55 miles.

I used the factory chains which only had 36000 miles on them so I figured they would be ok and with tensioners I dont see how it could have jumped time.

Would it take a while if the car was off time to start with? because I thought if it was off to start with it would have happened the instant I turned it over and started it. But it happened at a 45 MPH cruise through town.

I dont want to spend the money to fix it and not know why it happened because then it may just happen again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-03-2002, 12:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
It shouldn't jump time unless your tensioners didn't pump up right. I'm not sure how to test them.

post #3 of 8 Old 05-03-2002, 02:22 PM

Those tensioners are also side specific. They have oil passages on the mounting surface to lubricate and pump the tensioner. If you mount them improperly, oil will not get into them. Maybe something like this could cause the chain to jump?

I would imagine those valves would have broken immediately if the timing was set improperly.

2012 Race Red GT
1998 Black GT (Open Track car) - TF 44cc Heads/Aviator SB, HP cams, BBK shorties, Delta Force tuning, MM Panhard LCA FCA Full subs CC plates coilovers, Koni Yellows, drop spindles, Brembo/Cobra brakes, 3.73 gears, truetrac diff
Track Videos - http://www.youtube.com/cxavier68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-03-2002, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I had read that they were side specific. But the are labeled L and R and I didnt mix them up. I kept everything separate for each side even the chain guides.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-03-2002, 03:02 PM

Only one side of the motor? Could the sprocket bolt have come loose, maybe? Sure sound like either a loose sprocket or a tensioner failure. Have you removed the front cover?
post #6 of 8 Old 05-03-2002, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I had an oil problem on the drivers side which hurt the head and cam, so if it would have jumped time on that side I would understand because of what happened.

As far as the passanger side I have the heads off. When I took the front cover off the chain was still tight and the tensionor seemed to be holding it in place and both sprockets seem to look fine. But I dont know how to test the tensioner...

What do you mean by sprocket bolt?
post #7 of 8 Old 05-03-2002, 03:10 PM

I was thinking one of the cam sprocket bolts may have backed out.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-03-2002, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

No, Once I got in there I checked everything to make sure nothing just came loose. Nothing was loose or anything. it all looked fine except for drivers side but that isnt the side where the valves hit the pistons

Would the valves hit if the valve guides were to break first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement