Questions on Tremec fluids...What can and can't I use? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-02-2002, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Questions on Tremec fluids...What can and can't I use?

I'm going to change the fluid in my tranny and wanted to find out if your still useing GM Syncromesh or what? I have heard of some others out there but I don't know what is ok to run in it. Also will Ford Friction Modifier help out with the major heat I'm getting from the trans? I figured there is a lot of wear so maybe the modifier will help with that(I'm not sure...just a thought). If not what will help with the heat???? It killing me!!!!

Blue and Copper 04 F150 Screw -The Daily Beater
White 96 Cobra #705 out of 7496 -Way to much to list! 850HP coming soon...
Red 93 5.0 - Pretty stock "Thank You DAD!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-02-2002, 12:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I have been using GM syncromesh without any problems. Tremec recommends the syncromesh.

post #3 of 5 Old 05-02-2002, 05:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Re: Questions on Tremec fluids...What can and can't I use?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast96SVT
Also will Ford Friction Modifier help out with the major heat I'm getting from the trans? I figured there is a lot of wear so maybe the modifier will help with that(I'm not sure...just a thought). If not what will help with the heat???? It killing me!!!!
Friction modifier INCREASES friction, so it won't help in the way you're thinking. If you have heat issues, make sure you've got the appropriate layers under the shift boot (i.e. the stock rubber cover). You could also try DynoMat. Also, keep in mind that the trans has alot of spinning metal creating heat via friction, and it's connected to a HOT engine, and sitting right above a HOT exhaust system. Maybe the trans isn't necessarily the culprit, and the heat from the exhaust is coming up through the shifter. Hot air rises, ya know. If you have an aluminum knob (or any metal for that matter), lose it or get some gloves. A plastic or leather knob will insulate you from the heat much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-02-2002, 09:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Amsoil ATF is what I use in my 2001 GT, It will reduce friction better that any other oil. I have had it in my stang for over a year now and I have had very few missed shifts.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-03-2002, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
There is alot of heat but it didn't come til I got the Tremec. The boot, and a towel are stuffed in the hole to keep out as much heat as possible. But the dash on the side were your leg would rest gets hot and the ash tray. I know there is something else out there that will work with this trans instead of Syncromesh. I forgot who makes it but its out there. If I have to I'll put a trans cooling system on it like the Cobra R has on the rear. That Tremec so far has been the best and worst investment Yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement