Ford Mustang Forums banner

96 GT Ping?

521 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  socomcen 
#1 · (Edited)
Had car 4 months, I was getting a lot of ping on heavy acceleration using reg gas barely any ping using mid grade so I replaced the original Ford Platinum plugs (probably in there since car was new) with NGK G-Power plugs, ping still there with reg gas and again very reduced on mid grade, next I removed the octane sensor and the ping is barely noticeable even with reg fuel but is still slightly there on heavy acceleration. Also after installing the NGK's, while cruising at low speed there is a very slight engine stumble now and again. What's the consensus on these plugs and could these be the problem or a contributor? What's a good choice for plugs (stock engine) just over 84000 miles (or 136000 km).

#2 ·
Nan11 said:
Had car 4 months, I was getting a lot of ping on heavy acceleration using reg gas barely any ping using mid grade so I replaced the original Ford Platinum plugs (probably in there since car was new) with NGK G-Power plugs, ping still there with reg gas and again very reduced on mid grade, next I removed the octane sensor and the ping is barely noticeable even with reg fuel but is still slightly there on heavy acceleration. Also after installing the NGK's, while cruising at low speed there is a very slight engine stumble now and again. What's the consensus on these plugs and could these be the problem or a contributor? What's a good choice for plugs (stock engine) just over 84000 miles (or 136000 km).
At that mileage I would try a can of BG44K (some Ford dealers parts dept will have this (approx $20 but works wonderfully), clean the MAF sensor (use electrical parts cleaner that doesn't leave a residue), maybe replace the 02 sensor(s) and reset the PCM (disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes). You may also want to clean the throttle body.

I switched out my plats at 12K for Autolite copper plugs and the car ran better.

Robb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.