Shorty headers worth it for SC car? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-30-2002, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Shorty headers worth it for SC car?

I'm thinking of adding headers to my car. I want shorties for e-check time. I'm at 404rwhp now...would the hp gain be worth the money? Also, what kind of weight savings would I get over the factory manifolds.

While I'm on the subject of weight, what are some COST EFFECTIVE and reasonable ways to shave weight? I know about spare tire, rear seat (but at the price of traction.) Some good ways to shave weight off the nose would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-30-2002, 09:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Re: Shorty headers worth it for SC car?

Quote:
Originally posted by biffstang99
I'm thinking of adding headers to my car. I want shorties for e-check time. I'm at 404rwhp now...would the hp gain be worth the money? Also, what kind of weight savings would I get over the factory manifolds.

While I'm on the subject of weight, what are some COST EFFECTIVE and reasonable ways to shave weight? I know about spare tire, rear seat (but at the price of traction.) Some good ways to shave weight off the nose would be great.
I think the shorties are worth it but that is my opinion. Obviously LT's will net more hp but then you'll have to deal with swapping things when it comes to sniffer time. I have no idea what kind of gains you'll get.....

As far as removing weight off the front here are a few things you can do:

1. Remove front sway bar
2. Swap to tubular k member

Hope that helps.

Tim

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Part-Owner,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - [email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
post #3 of 15 Old 04-30-2002, 10:20 PM

I have JBA shorties on mine..They seem to be flowing good for me..

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-30-2002, 11:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I have heard from a number of people that shorty headers don't do much on the 99 and up GTs. A friend of mine who does a lot a tuning on Mustangs says that long tubes allow you to add more timing at the top end but not much more then that. I am in the same position you are... wondering if the cost is worth it???

2006 GT - Paxton NOVI 2200 Intercooled Supercharger, FRPP Twin 65mm Throttle Body, Diablo Predator and MAFia, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Tokico D-Spec Shocks/Struts, Metco Billet Lower Control Arms, DBA Slotted Rotors, Hawk Pads, Goodrich SS Brake Lines, Shelby Razor 20"X9" wheels.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-01-2002, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cobra killer
I have JBA shorties on mine..They seem to be flowing good for me..

Tim
Good lord...what do you have powering that beast? Are those numbers on pump gas?
post #6 of 15 Old 05-01-2002, 01:24 AM

Do it!

Definately go with new headers. You have boost and I think you'd gain ~15 HP with shortys and even more with long tubes. I recommend ceramic coated headers. When I had mine replaced, one of the stock headers was heavier than both of the new ones.

Shortys are easier to install. They hood right up with the heads and any aftermarket or stock exhaust system.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-01-2002, 01:38 AM

Dynoed my Vobra at 468rwhp.

Added shorties and a powerpipe at the same time and dynoed at 485rwhp. Torque also went up, from 399 to 411.

-Chris
post #8 of 15 Old 05-01-2002, 02:04 AM

Re: Do it!

Quote:
Originally posted by esandes
Definately go with new headers. You have boost and I think you'd gain ~15 HP with shortys and even more with long tubes. I recommend ceramic coated headers. When I had mine replaced, one of the stock headers was heavier than both of the new ones.

Shortys are easier to install. They hood right up with the heads and any aftermarket or stock exhaust system.
Shorties are easier than long tubes but don't mistake that for being easy at any level. It is a 6-hour+ job and I already had a tube K-member.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-01-2002, 07:30 AM

Re: Shorty headers worth it for SC car?

Quote:

Dude I have longtubes with a catted Bassani X pipe and I had no problems with emissions. I am sure shorties are good but I would go with longtubes! Later Ron

Few cars...
post #10 of 15 Old 05-01-2002, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Shorty headers worth it for SC car?

Quote:
Originally posted by primetime

Dude I have longtubes with a catted Bassani X pipe and I had no problems with emissions. I am sure shorties are good but I would go with longtubes! Later Ron
Really? I've never seen catted h or x pipes for longtudes. Cool. I really wanted to go Prochamber again if I got longtubes, but no cats obviously. That's just not an option. Who else sells a catted x-pipe. Bassini is $$$$$$ IMHO. Thanks.

post #11 of 15 Old 05-01-2002, 01:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Shorty headers worth it for SC car?

Quote:

Really? I've never seen catted h or x pipes for longtudes. Cool. I really wanted to go Prochamber again if I got longtubes, but no cats obviously. That's just not an option. Who else sells a catted x-pipe. Bassini is $$$$$$ IMHO. Thanks.
I used the regular Bassani X pipe with cats as that is what I was running pre-longtubes. I had the pipe cut and welded to fit very nicely for $100. I couldn't have gotten an off road pipe for that and since I already had the Bassani that is the route I went. Not to mention as you know Ohio requires catted pipes. Longtubes should not effect your emissions at all. Honestly, my car has scored better on the BS emissions tests since I have added mods then when it was stock, and that includes adding a blower.LOL Later Ron

Few cars...
post #12 of 15 Old 05-01-2002, 03:45 PM

Mac and BBK sell catted h-pipes for longtubes. BBk also sells an x-pipe for longtubes.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-01-2002, 03:57 PM

Change to a tubular K-member, heard it takes off 20+ lbs in the front.

BBK Longtubes all the way. They do sell a catted H-pipe, at least in Summit Racing.

1998 Mustang GT

Engine
2001 PI Motor
Dyno Tuned Chip by Coastal Dyno, Tampa, FL
MAC Cold Air Intake
FRPP 70mm Throttle Body
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
MSD Superconductor Wires

Exhaust
MAC Long Tubes
MAC Shorty Off Road H-Pipe
Flowmaster Cat-Back
Dynomax Polished Tips

Driveline
FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft
Finish Line Performance Stage II Transmission
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
Steeda Double Hook Clutch Quadrant
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
FRPP 3.73 Ring and Pinion
Hawk Brake Pads

Suspension
H&R Supersport Springs
Tokicko 5-Way Adjustable Shocks/Struts
Steeda Caster Camber Plates
Steeda Tubular Subframe Connectors
Steeda X2 Ball Joints

Best E.T.: 14.062 @ 97.08 1.944 60' (98 Engine)

Dyno: 215 rwhp @ 4600 rpm (98 Engine)
292 ftlbs @ 3900 rpm (98 Engine)
post #14 of 15 Old 05-01-2002, 07:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Quote:
Originally posted by must98gt
Change to a tubular K-member, heard it takes off 20+ lbs in the front.

BBK Longtubes all the way. They do sell a catted H-pipe, at least in Summit Racing.
You're right, the stock k is 58 lbs and my AJE tubular is 24 lbs. Sorry goes out to the original poster..... I can't tell you what kind of times you'll get cause I haven't run the car since this install but thought I could contribute in some way

Good luck!

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,

Part-Owner,
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - [email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
post #15 of 15 Old 05-01-2002, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BadAzzGT

You're right, the stock k is 58 lbs and my AJE tubular is 24 lbs. Sorry goes out to the original poster..... I can't tell you what kind of times you'll get cause I haven't run the car since this install but thought I could contribute in some way

Good luck!
Tim, How did the tubular K effect ride quality? Thanks Ron

Few cars...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement