Gear Break In? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-29-2002, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Gear Break In?

Hey fellas,

I have heard many break in procedures from friends that are completely different from one another. I was wondering if there is some type of standard procedure that you all use. BTW, they are FMS 4.30 gears if that makes a difference? Also while I have the rear end apart should I replace the front and and rear pinion bearings or carrier shims and races? I don't really know what to expect in terms of wear since everything is stock in the rear and 5 years old. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless.

<{{{<<

Gabe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-29-2002, 03:22 PM

No, there's no such thing as needing "break in", especially if the job is done right. Shops/individuals will tell you that to kinda cover their a** on an install gone bad.

2012 Silver GT, M6, Brembos, 3.73s, Lethal OR-H, K&N, tuned
post #3 of 10 Old 04-29-2002, 03:41 PM

you're not SUPPOSED to drive hard or long distances for about 100 miles. as soon i finished with my gears, i redlined through every gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-29-2002, 03:46 PM

Question

I have the same questions about what to replace. I am doing my 4.30's real soon and have been told to replace all the bearings. Pinion inner and outer and axels. I know I need a crush sleave, or what Ford calls a pinnion bearing spacer, but I'm not sure if I should buy all these damn bearings or just wait untill its apart and see how they look.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-29-2002, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

ttt
post #6 of 10 Old 04-29-2002, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc00GT
No, there's no such thing as needing "break in", especially if the job is done right. Shops/individuals will tell you that to kinda cover their a** on an install gone bad.
All gears require a break in period, whether or not people do it is a different story. The only gears that don't need a break in are gear sets on 1/4 mile only cars as they dont generate enough heat to do any damage to the gearset before it breaks in.

The "typical" break in procedure for a street car is as follows. Drive at highway speeds for 10 minutes, stop and let cool for 30 minutes. Repeat this 2 times for a total of 3 sessions then let the car sit overnight to completely cool down.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Internet's 1st Mustang Enthusiasts Club
post #7 of 10 Old 04-29-2002, 06:45 PM

I replaced all my bearings when I put in my 4.30's, I also replaced some seals somewhere (i forgot where, it was over a year and a half ago). I'd replace bearings if you have quite a few miles on the car.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-29-2002, 06:53 PM

when I had my gears done I drive back home(30 miles) got ready to go to the track(30 min) drove to the track (30 miles) let the car cool (10 min) and then raced the ##### out of her the rest of the night and I have never had any problems and that was about a year and a half ago.

<~~~~Knocks on wood
post #9 of 10 Old 04-29-2002, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys it has definitely helped. I think I am going swap out the pinion and carrier bearings and do Island Vobra's break in period just to be safe. What type of gear lube and differential fluid should I use?
post #10 of 10 Old 04-30-2002, 01:39 AM

Just drive it like you normally would. This should be enough variability in operation to break them in correctly. Don't go out on the interstate immediately after they're installed or anything and drive it to the boards for 10 minutes, and definitely don't creep around for 500 miles. Just drive it normally - get on it, whatever - just avoid extremes for a little while.

2016 GT, Perf/Prem, ruby red.
99 Cobra ebony, blk int. #1762/4040
86GT, 88LX 5.0, 95GT
ctfren ch @ iClo ud. n e t (remove spaces)

Last edited by lo pony; 04-30-2002 at 01:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement