Putting motor back in through the top with BBK headers and tranny any problems? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-29-2002, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Putting motor back in through the top with BBK headers and tranny any problems?

I pulled the motor out through the top and didn't have to many problems.

Anyone that has done this before, did you have any problems putting in back in?

I only see one problem, and thats the stearing shaft. Is it a problem?

Any help is needed thanks
Moody

Sean Hyland 575 Long block, stock cams, match ported intake, ported heads, Vortech S-trim with GT upgraded, Power pipe, Prom-77, 42inj, UPR Discharge tube, MSD-4, 3.73 gears, BBK headers, had the stock 8in Cobra wheels widened to 10in, F-springs and Pro5.0 shifter, and everything polished under hood

New set up 12.13 @ 120.33 with 2.01 60's on 315/17 Nitto Drags 80 deg and 100 Humidity agrrrr
Best mph is 122.3

old set up (stock motor)
Best ET [email protected]
10.5 ET Streets
97 Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-29-2002, 12:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I just got through doing the same thing you are doing. I thought about installing the headers with the motor, but it looked like it would be a bigger PITA than it already was going to be.

What I would do though, was install the motor with the tranny already on there, otherwise, you'll have to loosen them up again to install the tranny. Leave all the studs for the headers in the head. That way, when you lower the motor down, you slide the headers up in there with the motor still raised a little bit, and just put the nuts on the studs.

The motor has to be pretty low in the engine bay to put the headers on. Otherwise, it won't clear the floor boards. Just make sure you don't forget the dipstick!! We forgot to put it in and had to take stuff back apart and put it in.

--Marcus

1996 Mystic Cobra #1717
Vortech SQ
3.55s
BBK longtubes, off road H, Flowmaster 2 Chambers dumped
Eibach Sportlines, Koni Yellows, Hotchkis C/C plates
Boze Billet Stixx 5's 18x8s and 18x10s
Cervini "R" style hood, Saleen S281 spoiler, Cervini side scoops
Mystic Painted Interior, Polished aluminum everything under the hood, Taillight Sequencers, HIDs
post #3 of 9 Old 04-29-2002, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Do you pull the motor out with the bbk headers? I did and it didn't seem to bad. I have the intake off, so I can get better angle.

I'am going to try to do it with tanny and headers.

Moody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-30-2002, 03:13 AM

We tried putting on the BBK LTs while enging was out. After install, could'nt get to tranny to bolt it up. Had to pull motor back out , put motor in, bolt up tranny, then bolt up BBK's. If you ever have to drop the tranny after the LT's are on, gonna have to unbolt the LTs to get tranny out. The BBK LTs king wrap around the tranny. Good luck.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-30-2002, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

ROADWARRIORSVT thats what I plan on doing in the first place. I am going to put the motor in from the top with the tranny and headers bolted up.

Did you have any major problems? I took the motor out like this so I know it will go back, but am sure it is eaiser getting out then back in.

Did you have any issues with the stearing shaft?

Thanks
Moody.

Sean Hyland 575 Long block, stock cams, match ported intake, ported heads, Vortech S-trim with GT upgraded, Power pipe, Prom-77, 42inj, UPR Discharge tube, MSD-4, 3.73 gears, BBK headers, had the stock 8in Cobra wheels widened to 10in, F-springs and Pro5.0 shifter, and everything polished under hood

New set up 12.13 @ 120.33 with 2.01 60's on 315/17 Nitto Drags 80 deg and 100 Humidity agrrrr
Best mph is 122.3

old set up (stock motor)
Best ET [email protected]
10.5 ET Streets
97 Cobra
post #6 of 9 Old 05-01-2002, 12:31 AM

Well if the headers came off on the motor..they should go back in on the motor. If so..it must've been REALLY tight. I couldn't see how it would go in.

Did you have to take the steering shaft out when you pulled the motor?? I didn't have to undo mine when we installed the headers. I think if it came out exactly like it's going back in, then you shouldn't have any problems.

--Marcus

1996 Mystic Cobra #1717
Vortech SQ
3.55s
BBK longtubes, off road H, Flowmaster 2 Chambers dumped
Eibach Sportlines, Koni Yellows, Hotchkis C/C plates
Boze Billet Stixx 5's 18x8s and 18x10s
Cervini "R" style hood, Saleen S281 spoiler, Cervini side scoops
Mystic Painted Interior, Polished aluminum everything under the hood, Taillight Sequencers, HIDs
post #7 of 9 Old 05-01-2002, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

TTT
post #8 of 9 Old 05-01-2002, 07:45 PM

Hey Moody we put a set of MAC LT's on my buddies car. The motor and tranny will NOT fit unless we took the steering shaft loose. Actually it runs through the header tubes. Your BBK's might not be that way but its not terribly hard to take the shaft apart so you might look into it. Good luck on the install man!
post #9 of 9 Old 05-02-2002, 07:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I just pulled my motor last night so it is still fresh in my mind
I disconnected the steering shaft on both ends and while the motor was partially out I pulled it out of the car. I could'nt remove the shaft when the motor was still in the car.
When the motor is most of the way back in try to put the shaft back on, you may have to lift or lower the motor some to make it go back on.
BTW, I removed the entire thing with headers and tranny. It is not particularly easy but it can be done.
Bob

96GT with lots of mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement