oil pressure guage not working after oil change..... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Angry oil pressure guage not working after oil change.....

I did an oil change last night on my 2001 GT and decided to change the oil from Castrol Syntec 10-w50 to Mobil1 10-w30.

It quieted her down a bit......not so raspy. She sounds and runs better as well, but the oil pressure guage needle keeps jumping from "ok" position to 0 and back.

I checked the oil this morning. It's perfect on the dipstick.

did I just dork somthing up, or is this a case of a bad sensor?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 10:12 AM

Check the connection on your sending unit to make sure it's still snap in place. It's located right by your oil filter housing.

96GT
00 Engine/Trans

post #3 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 10:12 AM

The oil pressure sensor is right there on the oil filter mount. You could have knocked the wire loose. Check to make sure the connector clean and is on good and tight.

Dwayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

what does the "sending unit" look like?

I had oil spil everywhere under the car after removing the filter, so I had to towel everything off. maybe I somehow accidently unpluged something.

Last edited by MINT 2K; 04-29-2002 at 10:17 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

is it "ok" to run 10-w30?

I have to ask why ford specs out 5-w50 for my car. It just seems way to thin for Texas weather.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 10:36 AM

It's the only wire connection that's right beside on the housing where the oil filter is mounted. It should only have a single wire going to a connection, right beside the filter.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

thanks. I'll take a look at it as soon as I get it home. I hope that's the problem. Again, thanks for the input

post #8 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 05:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Lightbulb I have the same issue with my 200o GT

Hey Brother, i had the same problem like two weeks ago, my car is supercharged and i was like what the frig.
I first swapped the filter, that solved the problem for like a week. It then did again on saturday, i pulled off the oil sending unit, and cleaned it out, and then reconnected it, it seems fine now. As for oil you should use 5-30 as the 4.6 motors tolerances are much tighter.............I thought i blew up my motor! It only seems to be doing it after it has been sitting awhile........if this doesn't cure the problem, i will have to put a oil pressure gauge at start up to make sure it is the gauge itself.........the car doesn't wrap or anything it purrs like a kitten.

2000 Mustang GT Vert

Current Mods:18" BBS RK Wheels, UPR Hi Flo Cats; Borla Stingers,Novi 1k with procharger 3 core IC, FMS 42lb injectors, Cobra hat/pumps/tank, pro-m protube, afm f42 cams, 100% stock block/internals, 3.73 gears = 412 rwhp/389 rwtq.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 08:50 PM

This is a known and common problem with 01 Gts. Go to your dealer and have them replace the oil pressure sender switch under warranty. Have them replace the exisiting switch with part number 1U5Z-9278-DA. If they question you about this--have them refer to Special Service Message/SSM #14907.

My 01 GT did the same thing and this oil pressure sender switch corrected the trouble.

2011 Mustang 5.0 Coupe,Premium,MT82,3.73,HID,Brembo,Security,Comfor t
post #10 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by phoneman91
This is a known and common problem with 01 Gts. Go to your dealer and have them replace the oil pressure sender switch under warranty. Have them replace the exisiting switch with part number 1U5Z-9278-DA. If they question you about this--have them refer to Special Service Message/SSM #14907.

My 01 GT did the same thing and this oil pressure sender switch corrected the trouble.
thanks for the tip. I just got home and was about to jack the car up for a look-see, when I hear thunder

Can you please post the link to where you found that SSM? I would like to print it out and take it with me. I get a lot of crap from my dealer over here becuase of mods......even though my GT isn't heavily modded.

They love to pass the blame on other stuff to get out of fixing things.

post #11 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

I popped off the clip and cleaned it and put it back on. It still didn't sove the problem. The sender and sensor clip were easy to see, but IMO it's crappy design on FORD's part. who in thier right mind would put a dam sensor DIRECTLY under the oil filter? DUH!??!

back to the good ole "dealer"
post #12 of 14 Old 04-30-2002, 11:49 PM

Mint 2K:

I dont have a copy nor a web address for the SSM 14907--but it shouldnt be a problem. Go to the dealer and have them look it up in OASIS--they will see it when they input your car's VIN number. Or you can just go to the parts department at the dealership and buy the oil pressure sender switch for about 6 dollars and install it yourself. This SSM covers almost all Ford Modular V8s made since 1999--in Crown Vics,F150s,E150s and V8 Mustangs--the dealer should be aware of this SSM.

I called the dealer service order writer before I brought the car down to them and verified with them that they understood what the SSM 14907 involves and arranged a service appointment. The dealer service department should verify that there is good engine oil pressure before replacing the oil pressure sender switch.

This trouble occurs when the engine oil is cold--when the engine oil is at operating temperature--the gauge will not fail. If the dealer checks it at operating temperature--the dealer will not see the gauge fail. But most dealers have apparently been replacing these sender switches even when they dont see a failure--just on the word of the customer. The senders are cheap and easily replaced.

This trouble is extremely common for V8 Fords made since 99. All of the Ford website forums have members complaining about this trouble.

2011 Mustang 5.0 Coupe,Premium,MT82,3.73,HID,Brembo,Security,Comfor t

Last edited by phoneman91; 05-01-2002 at 12:04 AM.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-01-2002, 10:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I am going to get myself a new oil sending unit!

So much for that solving my problem....i am heading over to the dealer to get myself a new pressure switch.

2000 Mustang GT Vert

Current Mods:18" BBS RK Wheels, UPR Hi Flo Cats; Borla Stingers,Novi 1k with procharger 3 core IC, FMS 42lb injectors, Cobra hat/pumps/tank, pro-m protube, afm f42 cams, 100% stock block/internals, 3.73 gears = 412 rwhp/389 rwtq.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-01-2002, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I took the GT in. They called me back and said they tried to replace the sending unit, and sensor, but that didn't solve the prob..... they said it was a malfunction in the actual cluster for the guage

this sucks.

the parts won't be in till friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement