Is it possible to have detonation and not show signs on the plugs? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-28-2002, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Is it possible to have detonation and not show signs on the plugs?

Since my rebuild, I've been fighting with what seems to be detonation. I also went through a time running stock and realized I've got a vibration/noise coming from the tranny. I went ahead and installed Autolite 764's this morning and the plugs I replaced were the ones I had installed with the new motor. I had about 5K on the plugs and they were perfect. A very slight tannish tint and absolutely no signs of a lean condition. My JMS chip is set to 12* and fuel is 12% richer than stock @ WOT. I was under the impression that the plugs were a tell tale of detonation, but I'm starting to wonder. Now, with the 764's, I've still got it. I'm at a point where I know I need to get on the dyno to see what my A/F is doing. BUT IT'S OH SO HARD NOT TO AT LEAST BUMP THE BOOST A LITTLE.

Help if you can and any other personal expierence is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-28-2002, 08:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Yes normally the plugs will show/tell the story. However, as you know... the only real way in knowing your true a/f readings is to get on a wideband O2 sensor and see what they show. If you suspect that you're detonating, why not keep out of it until you can get on a wideband and see what the scoop is?

Good luck,
Tim

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Part-Owner,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - 11.2[email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
post #3 of 4 Old 04-28-2002, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Tim,
I've been easy on it so far (for the most part). I'm gonna try to get the Dyno and the wide band done next weekend and then get an appointment with JMS to get the chip fine tuned ($300 per hour). It's really frustrating when it seems your new motor is stuck in the "break in" period.

Anyone else been able to verify instances of detonation, but have not been able to see it in the plugs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-29-2002, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

ttt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement