Valve Guides-- falling out - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-27-2002, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Valve Guides-- falling out

I just performed Headswap on my 98 Mustang. Well after 50 miles I began getting this awful banging sound (maybe recal post about installing head gasket wrong I thought that was problem)

Well I took the intake off and 4 of the valve guides have fallen out on the passenger side. My machine guy is going to fix both heads for free replacing them all.

But is this a known problem?

The heads were supposed to only have 12000 miles on them and are off a 2001.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-27-2002, 10:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Sounds like maybe the head porter did something, guides dont just fall out even if you have a 100,000 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-28-2002, 12:26 AM

FELL OUT?????? Now that's a new one. I've seen them bent, chipped, cracked, and broken. Never saw them fall out. I'd be checking the heads themselves too. A pressure test would be a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-28-2002, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Well I have the head off the car now and they are broken. I guess I just had looked at them wrong.

They are broke so yeah I couldnt see how they could just fall out. Thanks for the help
post #5 of 5 Old 04-28-2002, 11:40 AM

I had a tapping coming from my car too. Everyone said exhaust leak. After a lot of guessing we finally found two of the valve guides had gotten loose. Not broken just loose. These are SVO heads though. P&P by houston performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement