Why the hell do I keep throwing belts??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Why the hell do I keep throwing belts???

On the way to get my gears put in my damn belt came off. Had to be towed home. This is the second time. It only happen since I put the blower on. Could the belt be too tight?? I looked at the belt and it only has two ribs left all around the belt. What could the problem be??

05 Mustang GT- PH Turbo, Stage 3 heads, Built Block
2004 Nissan Titan (Car Hauler)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 10:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I would have to say you have a pulley alignment problem. Othere than that I don't know what else it could be. I would definitly advise you to carry spare belts and the tools needed to do the job on the side of the road.

Good luck, Dwayne

post #3 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Could this be it?
I checked all my pulleys, my water pump pulley I can hear it moving back and forth on the shaft, but it does not feel like it moving. So I think its just a tiny bit loose. Would that cause it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 12:21 PM

It could be. Put on a belt and while watching all of the pullies rev the motor. If you see the belt changing position on one of the pullies then that one may be your problem. Do you have the new water pump pulley with the lips on it to keep belts from being thrown off. If not your local ford dealer will be happy to sell you one.

Dwayne
post #5 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 01:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I Threw a Belt Last Nite onthe Way to the local "Hot Spot" but when my Belt went it took something with it because i Leaked/Spilled coolant all over the place

Anyways, Did you put the Alt Bracket back on and tight? (that was one of my previous probs) I think my idler pulley is Screwed up because its loud as hell and Vibrates

Use a level Or a angle finder and check to see if all the pullies are lined up the Same

Belt tight or Loose?

What Tensioner you usein?

Belt?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 46GTSblown
It could be. Put on a belt and while watching all of the pullies rev the motor. If you see the belt changing position on one of the pullies then that one may be your problem. Do you have the new water pump pulley with the lips on it to keep belts from being thrown off. If not your local ford dealer will be happy to sell you one.

Dwayne
You cannot use the ribbed water pump pulley on cars with sueprchargers, they hit the bracket. Usually when a belt is thrown, you have a either a bent tensioner, a bent pulley with ribs on it like the power steering pump pulley which in some cases like the 98 Cobra are so tall that the any little bend in them will tear up belts and cause them to walk, or you have too small a belt on there. Extremely tight belts are bad news, the tensioner has to do its job taking up the slack and providing some "give" when the motor accelerates or it will be thrown. Belts that are too big will do the same thing. I would recommend you doing a full inspection of every square inch of every pulley to make sure its not damaged in some way and then make sure your tensioner arm isn't bent. Look at the idler and tensioner pulleys for the pattern worn into them from the belt passing over it, it should be square to the pulley.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Internet's 1st Mustang Enthusiasts Club
post #7 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

ok I just found somthing else. My Power steering pump pulley moves back and fouth on the shaft. I did not have to do anything with this during the install. My water pump pulley is fine, but I can move my power steering pulley about 1/16 of a inch??? back and fourth. Is like that on all cars. I never had a problem with my stock belt.

If so does anyone know how to tighten it?

Oh and this seems to only happen about every 300 - 400 miles.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeostang
ok I just found somthing else. My Power steering pump pulley moves back and fouth on the shaft. I did not have to do anything with this during the install. My water pump pulley is fine, but I can move my power steering pulley about 1/16 of a inch??? back and fourth. Is like that on all cars. I never had a problem with my stock belt.

If so does anyone know how to tighten it?

Oh and this seems to only happen about every 300 - 400 miles.
That happens with my power steering pump also, but I cannot say it is normal because I threw a belt before shortly after I installed my Novi 2000. I have since replaced the aluminum belt tensioner with the Ford steel one and haven't had it thrown since, which may be luck or maybe the tensioner wasn't the problem. I know I am scared of being stranded, so I take it easy lately until I'm sure that fixed the problem.

But if the power steering pump movement isn't normal, maybe that could be one of our problems.

John Slagel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Forged internals,intercooled Novi [email protected],523 rwhp, best time [email protected]

- pretty much stock

- My Kenne-Bell site/forums
post #9 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

ttt

post #10 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 10:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Upgrade to the new vortech bracket with the idler inserted and you won't throw belts any longer. Believe me... Before the bracket with the idler the car would throw belts like they were nothing... with the idler inserted, I made 10 runs with the same belt ... no problems.

Good luck.
Tim

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,

Part-Owner,
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - [email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
post #11 of 11 Old 04-28-2002, 04:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Unhappy :(

Hey, Anyone Got an old Style Vortech Idler? Mine is All chewed Up and I dont feel like Upgrading To the new Style Bracket Yet
If Anyones Got one, Please either Post Here , email or PM Cause I need This ASAP and Vortech Is "Backordered" :Rolleyes:

Thanks
~Veech~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement