I need Drone-Be-Gone w/prochamber - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-26-2002, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
I need Drone-Be-Gone w/prochamber

Ok, I know I have a loud exhaust and I love the way it sound right now but the drone is about to murder my ears. I took a long road trip this weekend and the drone has to go.

I need to know if someone has paired the prochamber with anything other than a Mac or flowmaster catback. I also don't want the redneck truck sound.

Please let me know what you guys have experienced that works. I might even consider the delta flow 50 series mufflers if they lessen the interior drone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-26-2002, 02:50 PM

I know for a fact that the Delta 50s will pretty much eliminate the drone. A buddy went to them on his 97 Cobra, and it's nice inside the car, but has a good snarl from the back. On my 91, the prochamber actually quited it some over an offroad H.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-26-2002, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

I guess the delta 50's would be less drone but after reading the post on "Flowstoppers", I don't think I will go that route.

I might start looking for stock catbacks and see what that sounds like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-26-2002, 08:41 PM

I got sick of the drone as well with my flows. I ditched them and welded some stock mufflers in....it was too quiet. I couldn't HEAR the car. At idle it was nice but I had to do something.

So I bought a Steeda catback (made by Borla) and it sounds awesome. It makes noise in the drone zone, but it's nowhere near as hurtful as the Flow drone. You hear it, you don't feel it. If that helps any.

http://www.spreadman.net/Pages/media.html

That's my webpage with sound clips. Enjoy!

Scotty
1999 Chrome Yellow GT

• Steeda Springs, Tokico Illuminas, Granatelli upper and lowers
• Magnaflow catted X-pipe/Magnapack catback
• 03 Cobra rims with custom center caps
• 80G MP3 Audio system, Clifford remote start...and a lot more.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-26-2002, 09:00 PM

I figured an Aggie would be used to things being droned inside of his head!!!!!

Hook em!!

Just kidd'n. Wish I could help you but an Aggie that is going insane because his/her exhaust is too loud sounds like they need to talk to an "engineer". Obviously not me.
;-)

good luck buddy and keep in mind, us Texans can legally succeed!
post #6 of 11 Old 04-26-2002, 10:09 PM

run 4.10s at 80mph (2900) you are out of the Drone Zone, have your cake and eat it 2!! Later
post #7 of 11 Old 04-26-2002, 10:42 PM

well, another option is to sound-proof the interior. Try using dynomat or whatever other products there are. I am sure that would fix the drone.

DTA Headswap'd 97 Black GT
260 RWHP 299 RWTQ

M/M #40
post #8 of 11 Old 04-26-2002, 11:30 PM

The MAC Prochamber is like an extra muffler and the ones I have done have been quiet. Dr Gas X takes out some highway drone in my experience, but can't say it would be quieter than the Prochamber(most I do are 5.0s). Just did an X on a stock 99 with 2 Chamber Flows. I will ask the guy how it does on the highway. Sounded good to me, but I didn't cruise at 60-80mph.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 89FOX
run 4.10s at 80mph (2900) you are out of the Drone Zone, have your cake and eat it 2!! Later
Yeah, what he said...my 3.73's take me out of the drone at around 65+mph...around 60 it's kinda there, but I'm going to 4.10's or 4.30's and that'll take care of that...Mine really isn't that loud though unless I really romp on it...

I've also read that subframe connectors can help with the drone a little bit since they connect the 2 sections of the car and help settle down the resonance...not real sure with that though, I'll let you know when I get mine welded in next week...

Jim

STLMustangs.com(Administrator)
post #10 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Spreadman, your link isn't working for me. I tried several ways to get it to work but none did. As for the name "spreadman", I hope that is not a gay reference since you do go to t.u. LOL. which catback did you get? Side exit or rear? Just thought of another t-sip joke......

As far as my exhaust, it is really only loud when the throttle is wide open. The drone is only there between 68-76mph. I run 80 on the highway when I can and it is quiet at that speed. I guess I am just getting old and afraid of the Police because it is so loud during acceleration since I have no cats and emissions here in Texas are about to get really strict.

I forgot the stock catback was a kinked 2.25 inch system so I don't think I will be getting that. I saw them in MMFF ad as takeoffs for like $150 or something. Good deal but not my solution. I am heading over to Dallas Mustang this morning to see what they have and see if they have any suggestions about magnaflows or dynomax straight-through designs.

As far as the dynomat for the interior is concerned, I don't like weight and the stuff is mucho expensive.

thanks for the help gang.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 02:54 PM

Whoa, sweet. I'm transfering from baylor to UT in the fall. I guess I now know of someone to meet down there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement