Sound dampening material? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-25-2002, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Sound dampening material?

Has anyone ever tried to dampen the sound of thier exhaust inside the car with some matting of some kind with any success. The exhaust is pretty loud and I love the sound but on long 3 hour trips it gives me a head ache. The RPM's kick up pretty high and the exhaust is loud at 75 and up with the 4.10's in and the sound drones inside the car. I was thinking of lining the trunk and floor with dynomax under the carpet. Anyone done this before and had good results?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-25-2002, 09:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I have never tried that but I have removed all my sound deadning material and the car picked a tenth up at the track. When the noise bothers me I just turn up the Van Halen! (can you tell I'm a 80's by product?)

post #3 of 10 Old 04-25-2002, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

I usually just blare my subs with some metal over the sound too, but it ain't too cool when your on a date!

David Lee Roth forever!
Sammy Hagar Never!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-25-2002, 10:01 PM

I used Dynamat for the trunk, CAE for the doors and RoadKill carpet pad underneath the carpet. See sig for details.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-25-2002, 10:07 PM

Hehe GT2KDave. Ive seen that in alot of your posts. See sig for details. That is a badass car you have along with a badass sig.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-25-2002, 11:46 PM

I used Dynamat in my trunk also with some success. Pretty good stuff but also heavy and expensive.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-26-2002, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1/2 bent
Hehe GT2KDave. Ive seen that in alot of your posts. See sig for details. That is a badass car you have along with a badass sig.
Thanks, the hyperlinks in the sig are the best way to point people in the right direction for what I did. Glad you liked it.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-26-2002, 04:08 AM

I did my car entirely in Cascade Audio Engineering v-2 and v-4 (I think that's the neoprene/lead one) it worked better than I expected and the entire shop size roll of v-2 is only 4.4 pounds. All told I added less than 20 pounds to my car but the sound quality of the stereo and the road noise is great.

Using the handy dandy links above it's V-3 that I installed in addition to the V-2.

Last edited by Evil Ash; 04-26-2002 at 04:14 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-26-2002, 07:37 AM

Re: Sound dampening material?

Quote:
Originally posted by Psycho-Stallion
Has anyone ever tried to dampen the sound of thier exhaust inside the car with some matting of some kind with any success. The exhaust is pretty loud and I love the sound but on long 3 hour trips it gives me a head ache. The RPM's kick up pretty high and the exhaust is loud at 75 and up with the 4.10's in and the sound drones inside the car. I was thinking of lining the trunk and floor with dynomax under the carpet. Anyone done this before and had good results?

I've installed Dynamat throughout the car. Used a combo of regular, extreme, dynaliner and foam to achieve good results while minimizing weight gain. Here's a write-up on it. Go to the Tech docs section of the website.

I had measured it with a noise meter afterwards. Significantly lowered my interior noise level by at least 30% to 35%. This stuff adds weight, though, but for a daily driver it's worth it IMO.

570rwhp/466tq on only 10.5 psi boost
Official 1/4 mile: [email protected] 1.81 60' limited only by the IRS and road race suspension
A 10 sec capable car!

A Cobra on the surface, a Viper underneath!

Gauges - zoom in || Exterior - larger view|| -- Engine-zoom in -- ||Front suspension

Other stuff (partial list):
Roll cage
Trunk mods
T-56 R&R guide tube
T-56 R&R input shaft breakage
Spring cleaning
post #10 of 10 Old 04-26-2002, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement