Suspension improvment - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
? on suspension improvment

I am looking to put front and rear shocks on my 96 GT Coupe and I am wanting to lower the car 1 inch. The car is my daily driver so I am looking for something that maybe adjustable. I have looked at various brands (tokico and koni). Which one would be the best and if I am going to lower the car will I need to purchase springs? If so what would you suggest? I hope that someone can provide some insight to this subject.

MRH

Last edited by mrh96; 04-26-2002 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-26-2002, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

ttt

post #3 of 11 Old 04-26-2002, 08:38 PM

hey man, you're not going to get a whole lot of response here. i've posted similar questions (do a search). i don't know that a lot of people have these shocks, they're kind of expensive. i think a set is like 500+ dollars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-26-2002, 11:44 PM

Yes, you'll need new springs, unless you cut your old ones. That is generally not a satisfactory solution. If you get shorter springs (to lower the car) they'll need to be stiffer to keep it from bottoming out. With stiffer springs you need better shocks.

OK... so which springs? Depends on what you want to do with the car. Do you care about the handling? Are you a drag racer? Just for looks (nothing wrong with that!). But that question needs to be answered before you can figure out which spring are right. The springs are rated in "pounds per inch" for stiffness.

Once you pick your spring rate, you can choose the appropriate shock. Adjustables are nice, but perhaps unecessary for your intended use. I use Tokiko 5-way adjustables in front and Koni sports (single-adjustable) in the rear, but I value handling very highly. There is nothing wrong with the Tokiko Premium (non-adjustable) for many drivers.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-27-2002, 12:22 AM

Contact www.maximummotorsports.com I am sure they could help you get your car handling the way you want. Didnt some people go with a bullit suspension package that was inexpensive and lowered the car about an inch?? Do a search, I am sure you will have more than enough info to keep you busy for a while. good luck
post #6 of 11 Old 04-28-2002, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply guys. I have recently run into a kit that is put out by tokico (ILK 210) that lowers the car 1.25 inches and comes with the Illumina 5-way adjustable shocks and struts. Has anyone heard about the quality of springs that come in the kit. I am looking for my car to be more aggressive in handling and also want the flexibility of going to the strip. When I replace the shocks in the rear is it neccesary to replace the quad shocks and if so what manufacture makes them, I have not had any luck locating some.

MRH
post #7 of 11 Old 04-29-2002, 12:01 AM

Tokiko Illuminas are great shocks. You'll be plenty happy with them. I doubt that Tokiko makes their own springs... probably just repackages someone elses springs. See if you can find out the rate (or rates, if they are progressive). As for the quad shocks... forget about them. There are some aftermarket quads, but no one thinks that they are necessary, unless yours are falling apart.

Have fun.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-29-2002, 03:16 AM

The kit sucks, I had it. Great adjustable shocks but a waste of money on the springs. Too low and Way too soft, besides they are a progressive spring anyway.
If you don't care about hitting the autocross or opentrack road racing events I would get the Bullitt kit. Many daily drivers have been happy with it and the $325 price tag.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-29-2002, 11:29 AM

I didnt go with a full Bullitt kit, but I did get the Bullitt shocks and struts from Ford. I went with H&R SuperSport Springs on my car, and found out through research that the Bullitt shocks/struts are actually revalved Tokicos, and they saved me a bundle of money. They just don't have the lifetime warranty on them. I have some pics of my car before and after if you are interested, when I took the pictures I had the camera at the wrong setting so the pics are a little big.

http://theloft.homeip.net
post #10 of 11 Old 05-06-2002, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies I found them all very helpful. I just order the Tokico Illumna 5-way adjustable shocks and struts and I decided to go with the Eibach Pro-kit springs that should drop the car 1.5 inches. As for the kit that Tokico offers, with the shocks, struts, and springs, the springs that come in that kit are a linear spring witch would be awesome for competeing due to the ease of adjustment for diffrent handling conditions. I decided to go with the Eibach's due to the progressive spring rate for every day driving, plus I hear that it makes the car stick to the road.

MRH

post #11 of 11 Old 05-06-2002, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrh96
Thank you all for the replies I found them all very helpful. I just order the Tokico Illumna 5-way adjustable shocks and struts and I decided to go with the Eibach Pro-kit springs that should drop the car 1.5 inches. As for the kit that Tokico offers, with the shocks, struts, and springs, the springs that come in that kit are a linear spring witch would be awesome for competeing due to the ease of adjustment for diffrent handling conditions. I decided to go with the Eibach's due to the progressive spring rate for every day driving, plus I hear that it makes the car stick to the road.

MRH
You should get caster/camber plates also. Did you order the Tokico for lowered stangs? See sig. They are a little shorter and cheaper. Did you look at the Tokico web site, it shows the kit for lowered stangs? Offset rack bushings would also be a good investment, they're only like 15 to 20 bucks. It aligns the steering due to the lower springs.

3X black premium 2k1 GT 5 speed ragtop
Drive Train:
FMS 3.73 gears, Vortech SQ, AFM powerpipe, FMS aluminum D/S, Steeda shifter, 80 mm MAF, Steeda Fuel pump, SnowPerformance water injecton, BBK 75MM TB, C&L plenum, SCT chip
Wheels/Tires: 10th anniversary Cobra, Nitto ZR 275 x 40 x17
Suspension:
TKO 5 way (years 87 to 93 for 94+ lowered stangs), Vert Eibach Pro Springs, offset rack bushings, Steeda c/c plates, Steeda subframes w/cross brace, Steeda X2 balljoints and bumpsteer
Interior:
99 Mustang A-pillar covers, Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod, Autometer FP and boost gauges, 03 Cobra headrest
Exchaust:
Steeda catback (Borla) wholesale price
RWHP/360 RWTQ/360 SAE corrected
Very conserative tune.
69 Maroon Torino GT Fastback
Eddie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement