Calling the Vortech'd Cobra gods !!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (109)
Calling the Vortech'd Cobra gods !!!

I checked the Corral search and couldn't find an accurate answer to my question. I hope this is the place to post this one... If not I am sure (fill in the name of your favorite moderator here) will bump it.

I bought a Vortech S-trim S/C for my '97 Cobra. (used ) It came with the stock 8 psi pulley, 3.60". If I want to pull 10psi+ from this S-trim, which pulley do I want to install? Vortech lists 6-rib pullies in 3.33", 3.25", 3.125", 2.87", and 2.62".

What kind of PSI have you guys experienced with some of these pullies? I don't want to get too crazy, since I know belt slippage will become an issue. I intend to run an AFM powerpipe, I would like to see a minimum of 10 psi, with a max of 12. The car will probably not even be fired up till its on a Dynojet for a complete tune.

I appreciate the assistance of the DOHC pro's here!!!

Thanks!!! Derek

Oh yea... Just joined the Fun Ford Modmotor ranks... see ya at the track!!! ( if I ever get this thing back together!!)

MM #66

'97 Cobra...Terminator in SN clothing.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.3L Lysholm, Aluminator, T56, IRS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 07:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
on a standard SC trim, just using a 4" power pipe like the AFM unit will give you 9-10 psi. Using the 3.33 pulley will get you about 2-3 psi more.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Internet's 1st Mustang Enthusiasts Club
post #3 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

HOLY CRAP !!! Page 3 ... geez

TTT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 08:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
I know I don't own a cobra but with my car on 3.60 pulley (Vortech V-1 S trim) + AFM powerpipe I was seeing 10 psi I would guess that without the powerpipe you'd be close with the 3.33 pulley......

Good luck.

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,

Part-Owner,
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - [email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
post #5 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

That is what I am thinking as well... I guess it is fairly safe to assume about 2-3 psi per pulley change, give or take your mods. The 3.33 pulley seems to be the best option to get me in the 10-12 psi range with the AFM pipe.

1BADAZZ ... the Vortech I bought is also a V-1. The guy I got it from said I wouldn't sneak up on anyone with it!!! Are they really THAT loud? I would at least hope its fairly silent at idle...

post #6 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 09:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Quote:
Originally posted by PritchSVT97
That is what I am thinking as well... I guess it is fairly safe to assume about 2-3 psi per pulley change, give or take your mods. The 3.33 pulley seems to be the best option to get me in the 10-12 psi range with the AFM pipe.

1BADAZZ ... the Vortech I bought is also a V-1. The guy I got it from said I wouldn't sneak up on anyone with it!!! Are they really THAT loud? I would at least hope its fairly silent at idle...
Definately not "SILENT" at idle by any means It sounds like a rock crusher actually and is louder in my opinion at idle more then almost any other rpms ... no sneaking up on anyone. With the AFM powerpipe, my friends used to say they could almost hear me from almost a 1/2 block away whistling ----- there goes the sneaky attack hehehe...

Be sure to get it professionally tuned on a wideband dyno. My poor little Geee Teee only got 377 rwhp before she died.... RIP lil Geee Teee engine. Oh well, now time for me to dream about a forged block or any block at this point.

P.S. Please ensure your fuel system is up to snuff with this blower (i.e. inline and intank fuel pumps).

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,

Part-Owner,
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - [email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
post #7 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 09:32 PM

With no IC, a 3.33 should get you there. Add a power pipe and get even more. BTW most of us don't put much emphasis on boost numbers. They don't mean much.

Ralph Greene
post #8 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BadAzzGT

Definately not "SILENT" at idle by any means It sounds like a rock crusher actually and is louder in my opinion at idle more then almost any other rpms ... no sneaking up on anyone. With the AFM powerpipe, my friends used to say they could almost hear me from almost a 1/2 block away whistling ----- there goes the sneaky attack hehehe...

Be sure to get it professionally tuned on a wideband dyno. My poor little Geee Teee only got 377 rwhp before she died.... RIP lil Geee Teee engine. Oh well, now time for me to dream about a forged block or any block at this point.

P.S. Please ensure your fuel system is up to snuff with this blower (i.e. inline and intank fuel pumps).
GRREEAAAAATTTTT......... There goes that stealth attack I was hoping for! Oh well, LS-1's beware!

I am planning on having the car dynotuned right away at Cerra Racing. I have heard good things about them and they are relatively close to me.

The car has a Motorsport 190lph, and the inline T-rex. I have decided to hold off a few weeks so I can do things right... 42lb injectors and another new Mass air meter. ( damn, theres ANOTHER thread waiting to happen! ) Is the 190 /T-REX gonna cut it?

and RALPH... I am just looking toward a desired boost level to support my Horsepower goals. With the 10-12lbs I hope to acheive them ,while maintaining some level of reliability and avoiding belt slippage. I just want to lock the blower into a slightly higher boost level to build around, that way I don't have to take it on and off several times. I don't think 8 psi is going to get me where I want to be. But I do understand that boost is not EVERYTHING!

post #9 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Bounce ....

post #10 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 11:55 PM

I have a V-1 S-trim vortech on my '96 convertible. I also have an offroad H-pipe and flowmaster 3-chambers. At idle, there is a definite whine that is heard above everything else. There is also a gear noise. But, that goes with the territory I guess ("dude, what is that noise?" - "oh, its just my supercharger" - REV REV). Once you get on it, the supercharger noise is engulfed by the exhaust.

Here are some good vids that will show you the noise the V-1 makes:

www.boord.com/images/420HP_dyno_run.rm

www.boord.com/images/dyno_positioning.rm

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/atompk...er3Chamber.ram

I have the stock kit, no dynotune yet, and pulled 420 RWHP last saturday. The only other power upgrade I have is an offroad H-pipe. Mine puts out 9# at 6800 RPM.

Check my site (if it ever comes back up) for a dyno graph

post #11 of 11 Old 04-26-2002, 01:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
friends vobra with stock pulley and aftercooler and afm powerpipe saw 10# boost...

11 KB GT at 15psi
11 CTSV
12 F350
11 Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement