Down to 14mpg! My theory! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-24-2002, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Down to 14mpg! My theory!

So heres the deal. I drive about 15 miles a day, in 4-5 lil trips all in the city.

I just recently installed my new billet steel flywheel and clutch combo right when I started this new job and driving routine.

Basically I'm getting about 14 mpg-170ish miles to a 14 gallon tank. Basically I'm filling up every week and a half to two weeks. Now if I throw a highway trip of 80 miles roundtrip its only eating about 1/8 tank no matter how full my tank is.

Before I installed this new setup I would be driving 30 miles a day round trip. No other runs. This was all freeway/stop and go traffic. I would consistently get 240-260 to a 13-14 gal tank. The same 80 mile round trip highway excursion would eat up between 1/8 and a 1/4 exactly.

So here's my theory. Basically with the installation of the billet steel flywheel, which weighs slightly more than the nodular stock piece and the city driving with lots of stopping and starting that the combination of the two is really hurting my MPG. It takes more work to get the car going. However I've noticed that my highway MPG has improved over my old stock setup.

So here it goes heres my statement.. Billet steel flywheels really hurt MPG in the city, but help with highway driving. By making this statement I'm also going to say that in city driving an aluminum flywheel would really help out city driving MPG, while hurting highway MPG.

I'm sure this may seem pretty stupid, but when you are getting 170 miles to a tank and are bored at work, these are the kind of things you post

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-24-2002, 03:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I'd agree with that. I don't know if an alloy one would hurt hwy MPG though. But making the drive line heavier can't help stop and go traffic...

Cammed 01 Cobra 337/345
06 f250 SD
post #3 of 11 Old 04-24-2002, 05:36 PM

i have a theory on that too... it's LFS

otherwise known as lead foot syndrome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-24-2002, 08:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Re: Down to 14mpg! My theory!

Quote:
Originally posted by blownMIRK01
So here's my theory. Basically with the installation of the billet steel flywheel, which weighs slightly more than the nodular stock piece and the city driving with lots of stopping and starting that the combination of the two is really hurting my MPG. It takes more work to get the car going.
the only flaw i find is that the inertia(spelling?) stored in a heavier flywheel should act as if the car had more torque and should make stoplight to stoplight driving easier and acceleration better.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-24-2002, 08:52 PM

Its the small trips that are killing your gas mileage. The O2 sensors aren't getting properly heated up, and the car probably never gets into closed loop operation. It is purposely running rich in order to speed up the warming process. I doubt changing a flywheel is going to cause your mileage to take such a dump. I'm not totally up on my physics, but the amount of force needed to spin the billet flywheel opposed to the iron one is probably relatively minor.

Personally, I'd check my 02 sensors while I'm at it. I notied a downturn in fuel mileage on my 99 GT after about 45,000 or so miles. Once I finally got ahold of an autotap to monitor the outputs, I was able to confirm my suspicions. If it starts dropping dramatically, take it into the dealer, and have them hook up one of their monitors up to it, and they can see what inputs the computer is getting.

Bart

1986 1D SVO - SOLD
2007 Mazda3 Hatchback 2.3L beater
1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L Sport
SVOCA #528
post #6 of 11 Old 04-24-2002, 08:52 PM

No because the inertia is moving the flywheel at 6-700rmps, to take off and accelerate you need to move it faster, which means you need more energy to move the flywheel...

Cammed 01 Cobra 337/345
06 f250 SD
post #7 of 11 Old 04-24-2002, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Down to 14mpg! My theory!

Quote:
Originally posted by rebel01

the only flaw i find is that the inertia(spelling?) stored in a heavier flywheel should act as if the car had more torque and should make stoplight to stoplight driving easier and acceleration better.
Yes but to get that inertia moving is whats making the engine work more.

I work in film editing so this is where I kind of came up with it. When I spin a 1000' reel, it is quicker to accelerate to speed than a 2000' reel.

However once I get that big 2000' reel going lookout the thing flies. The initial push takes alot more effeort than the 1000' reel.

The same principal will apply to this. Wouldn't it?

Heavier=more work to get going/more stored energy once going

Lighter=less work to get going/less stored energy once going?
post #8 of 11 Old 04-24-2002, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

I do give my car a minute or two to warm up, but I'm sure thats part of the problem.

I'm not really complaining about it, after all I drive a blown stang, why ***** about MPG? I just wanted to share my observations and see what others had to say
post #9 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 04:14 AM

mirkyman

this is off topic but i thought you were selling the car and your modding it more you decise to keep it?
post #10 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 12:31 PM

After my engine rebuild with forged stuff including a steel crank I'm only seeing 11mpg in the city. I get about 170 miles on a full tank(15.7) but never go that low. So, I'm filling up every 150 miles or so. Before the rebuild I was getting about 14mpg. And before the supercharger and 42#ers I was getting around 260 miles per tank. Your mpg sounds good to me. I'd like to get 14. But I have no clue to what has to be done. Gotta go watch the news seems like a bomb went off over here in NYC.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

I have decided to keep it. I figure I don't want to regret getting rid of something I love just to be a slave to my house. Sure a nice place to live is great, but I can make it work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement