Wrecked my cobra, what should i do? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-24-2002, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Unhappy Wrecked my cobra, what should i do?

Ok, well heres the scoop. I was driving home from work, and I come to an intersection. I am going to turn to the right so i get in the lane that just curves around and starts its own lane on the access road to the highway I am going to get on to. There is no yield sign or anything, you just get in your own lane and get over from there. So i'm behind this 2 door tahoe and she's rollin' along in the curve and she starts to get in her lane and slams on her brakes! So I just run right in the back of her. She basically stopped for no reason, she said some dude with his blinker on wanted over, whatever. So I'm screwed, I'm 20 and in college with no cash. My friends are telling me it is her fault. They say to have the insurance company come check out the scene. I'm just worried about getting my car fixed 'cus it looks horrible and i cant drive at night 'cus I don't have headlights. My hood is destroyed. my corner panels are bent and my front facia is all scratched and screwed up. Not to mention the headlights. I can't even pop my hood to see if there is any damage under there. My friend says it looks like the frame is bent. So what do you guys think i should do? Get a loan? Credit card is already maxed out, can't use that. I'm SOL i guess unless i can prove that it is her fault. What do you guys think? I could take up a collection if you guys would be nice enough!!! LOL. Well, I just though I'd let you guys tinker with this post. Hey, I'm alright, I guess thats something to be happy about.

Clinton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-24-2002, 08:41 AM

I'm afraid you're screwed. Almost ALWAYS when you rear end someone it's your fault. "Following too close" is always the reason given. You'll spend more money trying to get her insurance company to pay you than you'd spend getting the car fixed. I assume that you don't carry collision insurance on your car? If you do, your insurance company should pony up. Of course, if it's your only recourse, you could part it out and use the proceeds to buy a cheaper car until your finances improve. That Cobra engine ought to be worth something.

post #3 of 8 Old 04-24-2002, 08:53 AM

If you have comprehensive coverage on YOUR insurance you should be able to get your car fixed even if it was "your" fault. If your insurance has to fix her car, and your car, however, get ready to squeal like a pig[like Ned Beatty in "Deliverance"] next time the policy is up for renewal.

Still better than having no car or selling a kidney to come up with the cash...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-24-2002, 08:54 AM

Thats what we have insurance for right? Find someone that can front you the deductable, unless it's something ungodly like $1000 or something...and unless the frame is bent (which would mean they would probabaly total it) it should be fixable...And since you rearended her, you are probably a fault unfortunately, no matter what she was trying to do up there...Just work with your insurance company and unless they are jerks about it, they'll help you out...That's what they are there for...

Jim

STLMustangs.com(Administrator)
post #5 of 8 Old 04-24-2002, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doggamatic
If you have comprehensive coverage on YOUR insurance you should be able to get your car fixed even if it was "your" fault. If your insurance has to fix her car, and your car, however, get ready to squeal like a pig[like Ned Beatty in "Deliverance"] next time the policy is up for renewal.

Still better than having no car or selling a kidney to come up with the cash...........
No, it's got to be "collision" coverage. Comprehensive takes care of stuff like vandalism, tress falling on your car, broken windshields from rocks on the road, etc.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-24-2002, 09:03 AM

Since comprehensive is usually required for an auto loan, he should have it anyway
post #7 of 8 Old 04-24-2002, 09:14 AM

Oops."collision" not comprehensive.

Either way, if you owe money on the car,usually you must carry full coverage. That way the bank doesn't get screwed if you wreck their colleteral/your ride.

Impossible to say from the original post, but if this was a low speed crash at a stop light like described, I'd be surprised if it was totalled. Mustangs are pretty stout. That's one reason I like 'em so much........The front can look pretty bad if it took a shot in the nose but it might be all sheet metal[front clip, bumper&brackets, radiaotr support, hood obviously]....no way to tell until a body shop measures it on the rack. Might be OK.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-24-2002, 09:19 AM

Sounds to me like the best thing for you to do is have the insurance (if possible) pay off the car, finish going to college, pay off credit cards, then buy new mustang.
My .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement