whats the best S/C available for the 2001 cobra 4.6 dohc? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-23-2002, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Cool whats the best S/C available for the 2001 cobra 4.6 dohc?

requirements are major power, reliability and safety.
how many miles before the S/C wrecks the motor?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-23-2002, 03:02 PM

I would go with an intercooled kit no matter the blower manufacturer. As far as manufacturer I like the ATI Prochargers. I suggest the Stage II intercooled with P1SC and 3 Core cooler. At 6-8psi the engine should last a long time even though you will be putting over 400hp to the ground.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-23-2002, 03:25 PM

this is like asking whats better ford or chevy. You are going to get 60 people to respond and they will all be different. The major players in the centrifical are Vortech, ATI, and Paxton, in no particular order. Kenne-bell is a whipple charger, is a different breed. Ford Racing will probably be comming out with the Cobra Blower in the near future, which is a roots blower...

Here is a run down (mind you this is from a guy who doesn't own a mod motor blower car, but did own a blower 5.0)

Centrifical

Vortech S-trim Hot Air type. offers air-to-water, type aftercooler, for extra cost. 8 psi 3 year warrenty. offers larger blower for higher horsepower

Paxton Novi series offers two models. The novi 1000 and novi 2000. Most people seem to like the 1000's although they make less power, then the 2000. The 1000 is slightly smaller then the S-Trim and the 2000 is slightly bigger. Some people think that the 1000 is to small for a v8 street car, while the 2000 is to big for a v8 street car. they offer a air-to-air intercooler for extra money. Doesn't offer anything more then the Novi 2000 Not sure about there warrenty, I think it's one year

ATI, offers a variety of models, but the P1SC and D1 are the favorites for the street/strip. Jimmy V, runs this blower, and is believed to be the highest horsepower 2V in the country. come with a air-to-air intercooler. These seem to make the most power, but alot of people blow motors with them as well. They have some reliability problems with seals and run on there own oil, verse the cars oil, because of this they don't require you to tap the oil pan, but every time you want to change your blower oil, its expensive. they offer a 3 year warrenty for a small fee

Saleen (GT blower)
roots type, M90 blower. gobs of torque down low, flat power curve. air-to-water type intercooler included with the kit. Great blower for a street car, less then ideal for a strip car. 1 year warrenty

Kenne-bell
Whipple charger, using the auto-rotor. they have a 1.5L and a 2.2L. Although it's not out yet for the 99-up cobra, it's expected out soon. It is the blower that they put on the new saleen s281E. It is similar in design to the roots blower, but it doesn't have the problem with high intake charge temps, and you can push alot more boost through them. The 1.5L can make 18 psi, safely.

my fingers hurt from typing this much, hoped that helped

2002 GT Mustang -sold-
5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-23-2002, 04:36 PM

Re: whats the best S/C available for the 2001 cobra 4.6 dohc?

Quote:
Originally posted by acn302
requirements are major power, reliability and safety.
how many miles before the S/C wrecks the motor?
FWIW, a friend w/ a '97 cobra has had the pulley bearings sieze on his ProCharger two times.. apparently they are working on a fix, but his experience kinda makes me lean toward Vortech for my S/C project this summer..

David Reed 97 Cobra Convertible
KB 14lb - Tweecer RT - LMAF - Griffin / Meziere - Eibach Pro Kit - FAYS2 Watts Link - Tokico DSpec - 18" Saleens - X Pipe - Flowmasters
post #5 of 11 Old 04-23-2002, 04:46 PM

I vote for the P-1SC w/3 core intercooler.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-23-2002, 05:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Paxton all the way, and by the way Paxtons warranty is 3 years.

1994 Cobra- A big hairdryer and 83lb injectors-SOLD
post #7 of 11 Old 04-23-2002, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 81blown4.6
I vote for the P-1SC w/3 core intercooler.
I second that!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-23-2002, 07:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I just put a Vortech on mine. 8lbs 425.5rwhp on a very safe tune. Its also the most complete kit.

05 Mustang GT- PH Turbo, Stage 3 heads, Built Block
2004 Nissan Titan (Car Hauler)
post #9 of 11 Old 04-23-2002, 10:10 PM

Be PROCHARGED.

My choice on my two prochaarged cars.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-24-2002, 12:17 AM

Smile I agree with C-W

Kenne-bell
Whipple charger, using the auto-rotor. they have a 1.5L and a 2.2L. Although it's not out yet for the 99-up cobra, it's expected out soon. It is the blower that they put on the new saleen s281E. It is similar in design to the roots blower, but it doesn't have the problem with high intake charge temps, and you can push alot more boost through them. The 1.5L can make 18 psi, safely.

I have a Kenne Bell on my 97 Cobra and it makes lot's of TQ and it is fun on the street. It runs 4:30 gears and 75 shot of NOS to cool down the Intake charge cause it does run hot up top. It makes about 385hp to 365 TQ and W/ the Spray it makes 458HP and 462 TQ @ 9 psi of boost. For reliability I went with the KB and have over 130,000 miles on the stock block. 'H'

BOOSTED 32V
465.4 HP. / 485.9 TQ.
97 COBRA #86 of 6967 Built (Kenne Bell Blower and NOS)
12.3 @ 121. MPH (ENNIS,TX.)
02 Gt True Blue - Bolt-ons
02 Lightning - Delivery Truck
post #11 of 11 Old 04-24-2002, 12:33 AM

Re: I agree with C-W

Quote:
Originally posted by Boosted32v
Kenne-bell

I have a Kenne Bell on my 97 Cobra and it makes lot's of TQ and it is fun on the street. It runs 4:30 gears and 75 shot of NOS to cool down the Intake charge cause it does run hot up top. It makes about 385hp to 365 TQ and W/ the Spray it makes 458HP and 462 TQ @ 9 psi of boost. For reliability I went with the KB and have over 130,000 miles on the stock block. 'H'
surfing the corral with our beloved DFWstangs down Henry?

<---thinks henry knows his stuff when it comes to pos. dispacement `chargers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement