Electric Water Pumps worth it? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Thumbs up Electric Water Pumps worth it?

For my N/A application. I know on a high-revving, high HP application it is optimal and preferred but what about little old me.

Will it free up lost horsepower? Enough to be worth my time.

Do they last as long as a stock waterpump or the Evans pump?

Do they draw alot of power? I am ditching the Dynabatt and going to a Trunk-Mounted Optima battery to help insure there is enough power available.

This is on 90% strip 10% street N/A Cobra that will be seeing alot more HP after the Mod Shootout.

Later, Jason

N/A 1997 Cobra (STOCK MOTOR without any BOOST... GRANNY-SHIFTED) - RETIRED

12.14 @ 114 MPH
1.61 60ft.
306 rwhp and 301 rwtq
Best 60ft. - 1.55
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 10:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Talking

Jason, whats up man???

Mezierre has a new, sweet Electric water pump specifically for the Mod Motor cars...They are nice pieces and fit in the location of the stock water pump...The Evans water pump is NOT made for High HP cars, but rather more for Road Race type cars and situations..It works well, but not for High end HP cars in my opinion....Any way, call Mezierre and find out, I think they advertise in the Rags, 5.0 and MMFF.....Also, they only draw maybe 5-10 amps of current for the electric water pump, so NO problem at all...I would go with the yellow top optima battery to make sure you have enough cold cranking amps at startup...The red one doesn't have as many and not as powerful....I think Holley makes a NICE battery too with even more cold cranking amps, but not sure....Hope this helps....The water pump will for sure free up some HP as you don't need to use the belt to turn it...

Jeff

post #3 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackCobra99Va
...The Evans water pump is NOT made for High HP cars, but rather more for Road Race type cars and situations..It works well, but not for High end HP cars in my opinion....
Jeff
Why does it not work well for high end HP cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 96GTCONV

Why does it not work well for high end HP cars?
These cars usually have a wide range of operating RPM. So if the pulley ratios are optimized for near redline operation they don't get enough flow at idle. And if they get enough flow at idle the pump spins so fast near redline that you get cavitation.

An electric pump can spin at a constant speed, or it can be adjusted to spin at narrow range of speeds dependent on RPM, but at any rate it gives more flexibility than a belt-driven pump, which must spin twice as fast as the engine revs up twice as high.

1999 Panoz Roadster; autox prepped with various bolt-ons and weight reduction
[We're moving out of state and the Panoz is currently FOR SALE]
post #5 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 02:24 PM

The Evans water pump doesn't work well for high horsepower cars? I got it on my 500hp+ car which I abuse and never had any problems or gotten any dangerous overheating tempertures. Hell the stock pump is not for HP applications and it's still used for all sorts of racing. I dunno about this electric pump deal but I wouldn't chance running one. Any short circuits or electrical problems or low battery power and bye bye block.
post #6 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 02:54 PM

Unhappy

OH boy, typical corral again...Jeez, sometimes I wonder why I respond....

Michael---Thanks for the response, couldn't have said it better myself....Thats why the Evans water pump isn't for high HP drag cars...

Rapido---I guess all of the Pro 5.0, SSO, Renegade, etc HIGH HP cars, like Joe Stewart, Randy Haywood, etc use the ELECTRIC water pumps?? Guess they ALL fail too Give me a break

Jeff
post #7 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackCobra99Va
Michael---Thanks for the response, couldn't have said it better myself....Thats why the Evans water pump isn't for high HP drag cars...
Well it seems theoretical to me. Motorcycle engines with RPM range from idle to 14,000 RPM use gear driven water pumps, so it would seem that it is at least possible for non-electrics to work well even in extreme applications. But those are tiny engines usually 45 cubic inches or less, and I bet things are different on an engine with 5-10 times larger displacement. More coolant to push around, more coolant passages, etc.

I would be curious what the TDC turbo kit offers in terms of cooling upgrades. That might give an idea of a good high horsepower setup.

1999 Panoz Roadster; autox prepped with various bolt-ons and weight reduction
[We're moving out of state and the Panoz is currently FOR SALE]
post #8 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 03:20 PM

Jason

Jason the Meziere units are even fine for continuous street use; there is no reason to not have one. Just keep in mind that the electric water pumps are NOT legal at the Shootout for 4VNA! I know, sucks. I was going to get one but I will wait until after the Shootout.

-Nate
'98 Cobra Coupe
post #9 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 03:25 PM

TDC turbo kit does not include any engine cooling upgrades. They (TDC) does not offer any optional upgrades that I am aware of. I will be running an Evans pump with NPG+ coolant with about 500RWHP. However, my car is a vert and will be "the ultimate street car", and will likely not see the track. I do not want to put a roll cage in the car. Given that, I don't beleive the Evans pump will pose any cooling problems for me, whatsoever.

By the way, if it turns out that this car scares the crap out of me, and I put in a roll cage for street driving for my own piece of mind, then I will be at the track every weekend
post #10 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 07:52 PM

If I was doing an electric water pump, i'd do the meziere unit for the simple fact that it bolts right in place of the old pump and still usues the stock belt and routing. I have enough braided line in the car for my taste and finding a place to mount a evans pump and run lines to and fro is not my idea of fun.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Internet's 1st Mustang Enthusiasts Club
post #11 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I have enough braided line in the car for my taste and finding a place to mount a evans pump and run lines to and fro is not my idea of fun.
You lost me there, hoss. The Evans is a stock replacement
post #12 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 09:16 PM

DOH!

I must be thinking of another pump. I figured that it was the Evan's pump since Meziere is the only people that make a bolt in electric pump that Jason was referring to. All the other electric's are like th SHOGUN pump and you run your lines to and from the pump mounted elsewhere.

In that case, I'd still go with the meziere becuase it's electric and it has a nice BILLET PULLEY! bwahahahaha

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by IslandVobra; 04-23-2002 at 09:20 PM.
post #13 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 10:18 PM

Hey BlackVobra,
You are right! Don't know why you bother to answer here in the corral. So you assume because these people you mentioned such as Joe Stewart, Haywood, Pro 5.0 folks run an electric water pump a mechanical pump like the Evans can't handle High horsepower applications? Maybe the reason they do is because the have the money and the sponsors to back their butts if they break motor after motor after motor. But hey if you have the luxury to afford that then more power to you. What are they all running? Let me guess? I bet the 1/4 mile then their cars become a trailer queen on the ride home right? Like I said before, I wouldn't chance it with an electrical pump especially on a street car unless I'm covered like the people u mentioned.
post #14 of 28 Old 04-23-2002, 11:40 PM

Question ?

"Chance" it with an electrical pump? You're running a T-Trim Vortech, that's "chancing" it wouldn't you say, "especially on a street car?"

-Nate
'98 Cobra Coupe
post #15 of 28 Old 04-24-2002, 12:08 AM

Streetracer,
Great! I'll chance it since you are taking the initiative of being my sponsor ok? Send me your Visa account #, i'll get the electrical water pump, and if I break it anything you got me covered buddy. I'll cover myself for the T Trim, no problem. Thanks
post #16 of 28 Old 04-24-2002, 12:48 AM

This is hillarious. Chancing it. lol!

Yeah, Electric motors are unreliable and fail all the time. Unlike serpentine belts on blower cars that shred and leave you stranded without your water pump, power steering, power brakes, A/C and alternator.

Gee, lemme think here...

P.S. I got your sponsorship right here.

post #17 of 28 Old 04-24-2002, 12:54 AM

Thumbs up Hehe

Sorry didn't mean to pluck any strings, it just sounded odd that you wouldn't take a "chance" with an electric water pump, but you have a T-Trim Vortech pumping a (probable) large amount of boost into your motor. As many guys that have reported blowing up their $3,000 DOHC motors, it just sounds like more of gamble than an electric fuel pump. But I've been known to be wrong, many times! Mah bad!

-Nate
'98 Cobra Coupe
post #18 of 28 Old 04-24-2002, 10:09 AM

Cool

[email protected] and Nate...Whad up boyzzzzzzzz??? LOL....

Yeah, guess WE all have sponsorships these days with our 10K built motors and only ride the trailers these days, uhhh, yeah uh huh....

Rapido----I've got a place for my sponsorship for you....But since I like Eric and Bob, I'll refrain

laters

Jeff
post #19 of 28 Old 04-24-2002, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Thumbs up

Alright...

I will do the Electric Water Pump but only after the Mod Shootout since it is not legal in 4VNA.

I will take that chance.

Later, Jason

N/A 1997 Cobra (STOCK MOTOR without any BOOST... GRANNY-SHIFTED) - RETIRED

12.14 @ 114 MPH
1.61 60ft.
306 rwhp and 301 rwtq
Best 60ft. - 1.55
post #20 of 28 Old 04-24-2002, 10:15 AM

How does Ben explain it Jeff?

I got your sponsorship, hanging.

This is some funny shiit in this post.

j.
post #21 of 28 Old 04-26-2002, 08:33 AM

I don't have any experience with the Evans pump but I can tell you for a fact that Mezierre pump is a very high quality piece. I have been using a similair model (remote mount) for two years. For a street car, as long as the pump is rated for continuous duty it is no less likey to fail than any other part. Saying that eletric water pumps are "chancey" is well........ If that were the case then everyone is really in trouble because a much more important part is electric, the FUEL PUMP.

Quote:
So you assume because these people you mentioned such as Joe Stewart, Haywood, Pro 5.0 folks run an electric water pump a mechanical pump like the Evans can't handle High horsepower applications? Maybe the reason they do is because the have the money and the sponsors to back their butts if they break motor after motor after motor.
Not even sure if I should bother, however, if you blow an engine because your too unobservate to notice your engine over heating then you deserve it. BTW, don't make assumptions about people/things when you have no idea what your talking about.
post #22 of 28 Old 04-26-2002, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandVobra
If I was doing an electric water pump, i'd do the meziere unit for the simple fact that it bolts right in place of the old pump and still usues the stock belt and routing. I have enough braided line in the car for my taste and finding a place to mount a evans pump and run lines to and fro is not my idea of fun.

James
I just had the Evans pump installed,but what do you mean when you say about the "braided line".I hope i didn,t miss something when it was installed,all they did was just remove the old one install the new one.Got me thinking now.
post #23 of 28 Old 04-26-2002, 10:40 AM

So does Meziere make a bolt on pump for the 4.6? I checked this site and didn't see one for the mod motors.
post #24 of 28 Old 04-26-2002, 10:56 AM

I called them and they were in the $300 price range. There was a race version as well that was a little bit cheaper but required more work to hook it up...
post #25 of 28 Old 04-26-2002, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UGOTBIT
I called them and they were in the $300 price range. There was a race version as well that was a little bit cheaper but required more work to hook it up...
Is there a part number?
post #26 of 28 Old 04-26-2002, 11:10 AM

I didn't write it down. My hand cramped up when I heard the price.. LOL
post #27 of 28 Old 04-26-2002, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UGOTBIT
I didn't write it down. My hand cramped up when I heard the price.. LOL
post #28 of 28 Old 05-14-2002, 03:17 AM

www.stalionconcepts.com has them in stock- Usually!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement