Aftermarket Tach in a 99 or newer cars? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Exclamation Aftermarket Tach in a 99 or newer cars?

Well give me some suggestions on a Tach.
I need to purchase one tomorrow.

Heather

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 02:43 AM

I like the FRPP tach. You can get it from the FRPP catalog, or www.buyfordmotorsport.com. You will need a tach adapter, from www.paulshp.com , or www.ponyexpressperformance.com ( i think)

Larry

98 BMW M3
01 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (blue)
91 Black Mustang GT
post #3 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 02:56 AM

Autometer makes a nice tach. For someone like you that has alot of work done. I would think you'd want the Autometer 5" Ultralite with memory/shift light. Joe Lynch has a sweet setup with a VDO. It has alot of features too. I have the plain ole Phantom 5" inch with shift light. I picked this one because it goes with my dark charcoal interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 09:24 AM

Joe Lynch has a nice setup.

/me wants a VDO Tach and PEP Tach Adapter for my car..

I found a good picture of Joe's setup here:

http://www.ponyexpressperformance.com/TachTest1.html

Last edited by DTC P1270; 04-23-2002 at 09:30 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 09:49 AM

I've got the PEP tach adaptor and FRRP tach (the one that says FORD RACING on it) because I preferred the slightly slimmer shift light. While it says FRRP, the tach is actually made by Autometer. As for Pony Express Performance (PEP), nothing but praise. First class product and superb email support. They can also point you to an excellent tach mount that doesn't leave any visible holes in the dash.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 10:17 AM

Heather,

I have no specific recommendation on which tach (Autometer, VDO, FRPP, Nordskog, etc.), since I don't have one, but you'll definitely need a tach adapter to hook it up to the 99+ ignition.

Steve 99 Cobra noted he is using the PEP adapter. Joe lynch had to rig up his VDO, since an "off-the-shelf" adapter wasn't really available at the time he installed his. Autometer has an adapter available. Here's more info:
Autometer Tach Adapter

As far as whose tach, Nordskog gauges come in digital or analog and they have a new series of analog that have blue LED backlighting (very similar to the stock instrument cluster illumination). As well, their newer line of gauges are microprocessor controlled and have programmable outputs so you can drive other accessories like warning lights, buzzers, etc.

If I didn't already have a boatload of Autometer gauges in my car, I think I'd take a real close look at the Nordskog. Autometer seems to have the widest selection and FRPP looks like a re-badged version of Autometer.

BTW, I'm getting ready to do gauge liposuction (LOL) and reduce my pillar from a 3-pod to a 2-pod setup. Even so, I still don't seem to have enough room on my dash for a tach
post #7 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 10:36 AM

I've also got the PEP adapter along with a $110 5" Autometer tach with shift lite and memory (from Jeg's). I don't think you'll find a better deal on a tach anywhere. I used a John Brooks mount so keep from having to cut up my dash and it, the adapter and the tach work great and were just what I needed, since in my seating position the steering wheel completely blocked the tach.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 04:56 PM

There's another thread in progress, addressing options for tach adapters: https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...threadid=83982

BlackCobra99Va posted a $69 option, found at www.powersurgeperformance.net . By far, this sounds like the best deal. Then like Steve 99 Cobra recommended (and several others) PEP http://www.ponyexpressperformance.com/. Around $110, I think. I'm sure the Autometer pricing is probably on up there.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 05:26 PM

The pep unit is $99.95 shipped. At least that is what I paid for mine.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 07:10 PM

I have to push the PEP Units as well...customer service counts in my book.
~Darren

MR MCF
The Millennium Horse:

2000 DaSilva Prepped Vortech'd GT
366rwhp --- 363rwtq

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 07:38 PM

I love the VDO recording tach and PEP adapter......now that it is the only way I can tell for sure how close I was to bumping the rev limiter on launch, LOL.

Joe

99 Cobra Convert, 99GT live axle, 31 spline C-Locker, Mark Williams axles, HPM upper and lower, FMS alum driveshaft. Pro-Motion pro-shifted TKO-500 trans.
28x10/15 ET Drags on Pro-Star 15x10, 6.5BS wheels Star Stage 3S clutch, MAFterburner Plus, Aeromotive A1000-6 regulator, return style fuel system,
Aug, 2003 forged motor, HP cams, SHM valve springs, short runner intake, SCT Flasher for tuning. Best
150 shot is 10.77 at 127.8 mph in very good air. 1.35 60'.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

This is Greek to me

So who volunteers to come hook this up once I decide what to get
post #13 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by heatherd
This is Greek to me
What are you confused about? I will be more and gald to clear things up for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by heatherd
So who volunteers to come hook this up once I decide what to get
What do we get in return

Last edited by SliderGT; 04-23-2002 at 11:23 PM.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 11:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Hey if u r

well if u r close to me i would be glad to hook it up . assuming u by the tach adapter for your car u can hook up any autometer tach.its not hard at all just besure to do a neat job, on the wireing
post #15 of 15 Old 04-23-2002, 11:39 PM

While I can't speak for the other brands, the PEP tach adapt has their instructions published online:

http://www.ponyexpressperformance.com/tachinstall.html

Super easy 4 wire hook-up. Took me 30 minutes, and the majority of the time was getting the panels off.

Coop, the PEP tach adapter is an "off the shelf" product, and I was one of the first to purchase in early February of this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement