people are paying MSRP plus markup for the 2003 Cobra - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #36 of 54 Old 04-28-2002, 11:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I was down at the dealer picking out my F 250. There was a new t bird on the show room floor $15,000 over MSRP. I couldn't believe it. Luclily I got the truck on X plan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37 of 54 Old 04-28-2002, 01:07 PM

I visited 3 dealers in S. Fla. and all 3 of them offered the 03 for MSRP. I chose the dealer I had the most confidence in and they wrote the deal MSRP.

2003 Sonic Blue/ K&N Bassani Catback
post #38 of 54 Old 04-28-2002, 03:13 PM

Just my opinion, but Ford doesn't allow SVT to exist to provide value to its customers. It uses SVT's efforts to sell cars, not SVT cars, but all the rest of the cars they manufacture. We all know there isn't a big margin of profit on any SVT vehicle. Ford wants the Cobras, Lightenings, and SVT Focuses out ther so people see them in the showroom and see them on the street. Most people will either not be able to afford them or will not have an opportunity to buy them based on supply. These cars get people in the dealership and then the dealership sells them a GT, F150, or ZX3 and that's where the real profit exists. If a dealer thinks they can make more money off of a car based on demand, they will do it. They will only get away with it if consumers like ourselves are willing to pay the price. That's the principle of a market economy and that's the way it has to work. In the end, I don't believe Ford will attempt to dictate SVT pricing because their purpose is being served no matter what the dealer sells the car for. As for SVT itself, they probably don't like the idea of the exorbitant prices these dealers are charging, but I don't think they have the power to change it based on Ford's policies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39 of 54 Old 04-28-2002, 05:55 PM

Just to be more specific, what constitutes an employee as a "Ford" employee?

Is it anyone in the Ford dealership (owned by someone who has a chain of dealerships) selling and fixing cars? Like mechanics? Or is it only people who work to make and build the car, marketing, QA, regional offices etc etc.?

My brother is a mechanic at a dealership of Ford. What plan does he qualify for and will it cover svt products?
post #40 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 10:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
kind of off topic but how long do we have to still place an order for a 03 cobra? also what ext/int colors are available for the 03?
Leon

03 cobra, Bolt on's. 11.49 @ 122 mph famoso
98 gt, PI heads, comp 262ah cams, K&N, Bassani catted X pipe, 70mm T/B, 3.73's, trickflow track heat intake.
post #41 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 11:08 AM

A plan is only for Ford employee(actually works for ford motor company) and their immediate family(parents, siblings, kids). Each employee is allotted 4 cars under A-plan a year. X-plan was for Ford Motor company contractors but it was revised that a friend of a Ford employee can also used it.

Typical difference between the A-plan pricing and the dealer invoice is around 5%. For example, a loaded GT under A-plan is priced at 21k while the invoice is at a bit over 22k. For X-plan, it's pretty much A-plan pricing plus 3%, so you are buying the vehicle slightly under the dealer invoice.

As for the cobra's A-plan pricing, I was told 33k out of the door including tax, plates, destination charge. And yes, the dealership has to sell the car to a Ford employee under A-plan regardless if it's SVT or not. Actually just call one of the dealership around detroit; just about every one of them will give out the A-plan pricing over the phone. Hope this helps.
post #42 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 12:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
my advice would be to wait to buy the new Cobra
$35K is plenty IMO

'90 LX 5.0 - HPDE Car
24 Hrs. of Lemons/Chump Car Series - Grim Reaper Racing '94 Mustang V6
post #43 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by snakecharmer
Yes, people are paying over MSRP for their 03 snakes. And they are fools. But then as the saying goes, "a fool and his money are soon parted".

Hope they enjoy that extra-steep first year depreciation curve!
In NC, maybe it is foolish to pay the extra 3K for the car, if the dealers arn't getting it. But here, THEY ARE GETTING IT! If you don't want to spend the extra moeny, you won't have the car, unless somehow you stumble upon a dealer who will let you have it for MSRP.

And those people are fools... uh... ok! I know you are a moderator, but you own a saleen. You own a bullit. Personally I'd rather take the 3K hit on a car that is quite a bit of a performance upgrade & has plenty left for EASY upgrades, and not about 5hp or a bodykit.
post #44 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 01blown4.6
Not only would I not pay one fat nickle over sticker but I would not pay even $2000 under!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are just plane fools to pay that for a mustang Ford is really ripping people off big time with this one Hell you go go buy a Z06 for $45-46 right now- theres no way I'd pay close to $40 for a cobra
sg
nooo!!....don't go saying that kind of stuff over here!!

there's no way you can get a Z06 for anywhere under $55K.....

'04 cobra coupe torch red
post #45 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UGOTBIT
Don't know about that one Smrgol. From what I know it is a privelage(sp?) to be an SVT dealer. There are only so many allowed in an area. If a dealership plays games like that it's possible they could lose their SVT dealer status....
Not really true. Every Ford Dealer in my immediate area is SVT certified...and tha is about 20 of them..From as far north as Baltimore to the entire metropolitan DC area...all it cost is $12,000 and some training for the techs...

Cheers,
Robert

post #46 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blackbuck

And those people are fools... uh... ok! I know you are a moderator, but you own a saleen. You own a bullit. Personally I'd rather take the 3K hit on a car that is quite a bit of a performance upgrade & has plenty left for EASY upgrades, and not about 5hp or a bodykit.
uuummmm...

you ever seen a bonestock GT run these times with DR's as the only mod??...

post #47 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JB VOBRA

www.corvetteforum.com, forums, C5s for sale/wanted, Monica at Maxie Price Chevrolet in Atlanta, GA, standing offer of $5,000 off any ZO6 in stock and $6,000 off any other non-ZO6 in stock. Makes a $51,000 '02 Z about $46,000!

Still minimum $11,000 more than an '03 Cobra, but not a bad deal in its own right.
post #48 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 03:15 PM

snakebit, you seriously missed my sarcasm..
post #49 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 03:22 PM

Quote:
snakebit, you seriously missed my sarcasm..
I wondered but was looking for Mr. Winky to denote sarcasm!

When I saw Mr. Rollie Eyes, I thought you might have been serious.

post #50 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 03:26 PM

And for the topic of this post:

My next Cobra will be purchased for invoice just like the current one. Whether that's a year end '03, an '04, or an '05 remains to be seen. Not only will I never pay over MSRP for a car, but I won't pay even close to MSRP for one!
post #51 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 03:33 PM

I got mine for MSRP and I think the dealer has a black coupe with grey inserts coming that is still available and they should sell for sticker if I got mine at sticker.

At a little over $35k for a car putting 360 at the wheels is a hell of a deal. I looked at two C5's this weekend. The top on the vert was cheap looking and didn't fit well. The top on my 01 looked a lot better. I'd heap rather have an 03 Cobra plus it's faster and it's a Ford, period.

Just sold!
post #52 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

I saw a guy eyeballing the 2000 Cobra R at Serramonte Ford and he was also inquiring about the 2003 Cobra. The salesman told him that the 03 Cobra will have less horsepower than the 2000 Cobra R. The customer looked at the salesman straight in his eyes and said "you're full of #####". It was funny as hell to see the salesman's reactions. The salesman's jaw dropped as the customer started to get loud and tell the salesman off. The customer said the 03 Cobra will have 390 horses and is only MSRP'd at about $35,000.00. When the customer walked out of the showroom I followed him to his car. I thought he might be mean as he sure gave the salesman a tongue lashing but he was actually quite friendly. He was driving a black Z06 Vette and told me that he also has a black 03 Cobra on order. Ford or Chevy; some guys have all the luck with all the toys.
post #53 of 54 Old 04-30-2002, 07:35 PM

You can get deals if you try hard enough. When I bought my 2001 Bullitt, I paid a lot less than the MSRP, and I mean a lot less. I bought the car for 24,100 with the sticker at 27,380. Just have to know how to talk to them. Plus it helps to get a half way decent salesman, most of them, I'd rather strangle. I hate buying cars. Personnally, I don't know why anyone would pay over the MSRP for the 03 Cobra. I've heard of guys paying almost 40k for them, thats stupid. I'd throw a couple of thousand more in and by a vette before I spent 40k on a mustang, and I'm a mustang nut. I've owned 4 of them. my $.02....
post #54 of 54 Old 05-01-2002, 07:10 PM

Quote:

nooo!!....don't go saying that kind of stuff over here!!

What?! Here in South Florida, you can get Z's for AT LEAST MSRP... easy!

When I ordered my '01... in July of '00... Nothing over MSRP... and that was to get one of the firsts.

It's amazing what other states charge and what people are willing to pay for their cars.

Don
'01 Z06

Last edited by Don97VortechGT; 05-01-2002 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement