Ford rep back from SVT - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-22-2002, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Ford rep back from SVT

The manager I've been talking to about the 03 cobra just got back from arizona. All he could say is it's looks unbelievable in person, it made the C5 look silly on the road coarse the both raced on, and they made a big hint it will be over 400 hp easy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-22-2002, 06:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Hmm, I just back from the same test drive (SVTOA) and I can't agree with the "made the C5 look silly on the road coarse" comment. The C5 and '03 Cobra are very different beast. The C5 rides on a purpose built platform and offers numerous creature comforts not available on the Cobra. The lighter platform of the C5 will make it win on a road course. The Cobra on the other hand is more of a classic muscle car. Romp on the gas and you haul ass. The power band is very broad with torque now available down low. Both very cool cars but not really catering to the same person (in my opinion). I do think the '03 will be showing the tail lights to many a C5 on the street.

Chris Yates
96 Cobra

post #3 of 13 Old 04-22-2002, 06:40 PM
Corral Charter Member

I can see the 03 Cobra possibly running WITH a Corvette in a straight line, especially if it is under-rated as some reports suggest (which I still refuse to believe until I hear it from real owners of production cars instead of prototypes). I do *not* believe for a second that a Cobra will stick with a C5 on a roadcourse. No way. The f/r weight distribution is horrible (even worse than the 01s) and the 'stangs suspension is just not on par with the Vettes if you are comparing stock to stock.

Sorry, I don't buy it. The 03 Cobra is going to be a very nice car, but it's no Corvette killer, IMHO.

E5.0
2006 Harley Davidson SE V-Rod
2009 Harley Davidson CVO Springer
2010 Corvette ZR1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-22-2002, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by snakecharmer
Sorry, I don't buy it. The 03 Cobra is going to be a very nice car, but it's no Corvette killer, IMHO.
You got that right!

At an autox on Sunday we watched a highly skilled driver take a new '03 Cobra around the course and get beat by the Vettes.

This same driver set TTOTD in a "wimpy" FP Porsche 914. And that is against the national champs in our region. So it wasn't due to lack of driver skill, that's for sure. Performance on the twisty track is all about driver skill, weight and agility.

I tried to explain that to a couple of squids who were gawking at my Panoz and "explaining" to me how the '03 Stang was going to humiliate the Z06. They didn't believe me until they saw it happen, then they looked surprised. Some people just don't get it. . .

1999 Panoz Roadster; autox prepped with various bolt-ons and weight reduction
[We're moving out of state and the Panoz is currently FOR SALE]
post #5 of 13 Old 04-26-2002, 10:36 AM

Before you comment on the front to rear weight distribution of the 03 Cobra you should probably look at the Z06's. It's about the same.......

I would like to know who owns the 03 Cobra that was in the autocross in CA as they aren't selling the cars yet.......

I to drove both cars and thought they drove very different. I am not convinced that the C5 will by any means walk away from a Cobra at a roadcourse but it would definitely be interesting!!

Mark
1970 Mach 1 428 CJ
1993 Cobra #1824
1993 Cobra R AI#26 GR-40 equipped
post #6 of 13 Old 04-26-2002, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 93SVTCobra
Before you comment on the front to rear weight distribution of the 03 Cobra you should probably look at the Z06's. It's about the same.......
I would like to know who owns the 03 Cobra that was in the autocross in CA as they aren't selling the cars yet.......
Don't know who owned the '03 Stang, but it was being driven by David and Judy Colman. David is a great driver. He set top time of the day in an FP Porsche 914 but could not beat the Vettes in the '03 Stang.

I believe your comment about weight distribution is incorrect. The Z06 Vette weighs under 3200 lbs. with 53.5% over the front wheels. Doesn't the '03 Stang have more than 53.5% of its weight over the front wheels?

I think the '03 stang is a great car. But in the hands of equally skilled drivers, it won't beat a Vette on a road course or autox. It was never designed to do this. It is a muscle/pony car, not a track car.

post #7 of 13 Old 04-26-2002, 11:29 AM

Thumbs up Off topic, but...

Michael, does your Panoz have BBS RK's on it? I bought some for my '98 Cobra. Love 'em! I bought them from a guy who got them from Panoz's inventory due to slow sales...

Just wondering when they started doing this.

Randy
post #8 of 13 Old 04-26-2002, 11:47 AM

Re: Off topic, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyB
Michael, does your Panoz have BBS RK's on it? I bought some for my '98 Cobra. Love 'em! I bought them from a guy who got them from Panoz's inventory due to slow sales...

Just wondering when they started doing this.

Randy
I have one of the last Roadsters made, built in December '99. It has 18" BBS 10-spoke wheels; fronts are 18x8.5, rears are 18x10. They are amazingly light with an inside out offset. They are still round and true, balance with minimal weight after much serious driving and many autocrosses. Other than the limited selection of 18" tires, I am very happy with these wheels.

post #9 of 13 Old 04-26-2002, 03:35 PM

Kumho is making more 18" tire sizes now.

99 Cobra coupe, sold 5/20/06.

96 Cobra coupe, sold 1/1/05.

01 BMW 330ci. White. Runs in C Modified class (#85) in BMW CCA club races and NASA endurance races. Too many modifications to mention.

04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport, stock.

04 Cobra coupe. White/gray. K & N FIPK, JBA exhaust, and suspension and brake mods.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-26-2002, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 99 KOBRA
Kumho is making more 18" tire sizes now.
Yes but . . . ONLY in the Ecsta, NOT in the V700. The Ecsta is a road racing compound that takes longer to heat up and stick. The V700 heats up faster and is better for autocross. And even the Ecsta is not available in the sizes I need: 245x40x18, nor 295x35x18.

I tried the BFG G-Forces but they suck so bad, don't waste your money.

post #11 of 13 Old 04-26-2002, 03:50 PM

With no driver, my 2002 C5A4 'Vette coupe weighs 3151 lbs with 1/8 tank of gas. The Z06 weighs slightly less.

It will be interesting as guy’s mod their new '03 Cobra (with the normal mods) to see the ET's dive. I wish they weighed less, but I guess that will be a given.

2000 Cobra R #48
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mustangs previously owned: 1967 (my first car!), 1992 LX, 1995 GTS and 1997 Cobra
post #12 of 13 Old 04-27-2002, 10:16 AM

The Ecsta V700 is a road racing tire that I use on my BMW race car. See sig., below.

99 Cobra coupe, sold 5/20/06.

96 Cobra coupe, sold 1/1/05.

01 BMW 330ci. White. Runs in C Modified class (#85) in BMW CCA club races and NASA endurance races. Too many modifications to mention.

04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport, stock.

04 Cobra coupe. White/gray. K & N FIPK, JBA exhaust, and suspension and brake mods.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-27-2002, 11:49 AM

Hey bro,

Think an overdrive pulley and a set of 4.10s can make it lay the smack down on that Viper ACR? hint hint...BTW im goin to moroso on wednesday night..u goin?

joseph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement