Ok Guys Here is my latest Problem - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 04-22-2002, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Angry Ok Guys Here is my latest Problem

Here is the problem I am having.
As if I haven't ever had any

I went to the track about a month ago ran the car I got a 11.40 @ 124 then the motor started making a clancking noise. Pulled the drivers side valve cover off and one the rockers and lifters broke.

Fixed that. About two weeks ago. Broke another one on the passanger side.
This past Saturday we were getting ready to go racing, So I took the car for a spin to make sure everything was ok..Broke another rocker and lifter.
Fixed it...Broke Another one

I am trying to find out if there are any aftermarket rockers and lifters for these new of cars. I have called everywhere but no luck.

Is anyone else running an aggressive cam having this problem??

Give me some thoughts and ideas

Thanks
Heather

Last edited by heatherd; 04-22-2002 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-22-2002, 04:33 PM

hahah

I Thought that thing went 10.80s what the f**k happend 11s r u kidding me when was this.

post #3 of 22 Old 04-22-2002, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Re: hahah

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Ervin
I Thought that thing went 10.80s what the f**k happend 11s r u kidding me when was this.
ReRead.
It broke when I made a 1140 pass.

Buy some glasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-22-2002, 04:47 PM

i was kidding

i was kidding gees take a joke y dont u . it sounds like u have to much cam for the stock spring and valves u need custom longer valves and bettersprings yours our bottoming out and knocking the lifters and rockers out of place . but hey nobody ever listens to me so what do i know
post #5 of 22 Old 04-22-2002, 04:58 PM

Heather, Sorry no help on your ? but I was wondering if your car ever surges/bucks under light load at about 3000-3200RPM. If not how many by-pass valves are you running? Are they before and/or after the cooler? Any help would be appreciated. What does SHM say about your problem? Thanks Ron

Few cars...
post #6 of 22 Old 04-22-2002, 05:12 PM

Heather, try these guys www.fompkmotorsports.com Ask for Keith.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-22-2002, 05:31 PM

Red face

Heather---

You are running into Coil Bind..Your blower cams have too much lift on them and as a result, they are causing the stock valve springs to go into coil bind, which in turns causes the rocker to break....Yeah, give Keith a call at FOMPK...Its not the rockers or lifters that are problems, its your geometry in the valvetrain and the inadequate stock valve springs.

Jeff
post #8 of 22 Old 04-22-2002, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by primetime
Heather, Sorry no help on your ? but I was wondering if your car ever surges/bucks under light load at about 3000-3200RPM. If not how many by-pass valves are you running? Are they before and/or after the cooler? Any help would be appreciated. What does SHM say about your problem? Thanks Ron

Yes I did have this problem.
It was a MAJOR problem.
The key lies in the TUNE. We played with it for 4 hours one night. Until we got it right.

I am running 1 bypass valve. It's before the cooler.

I am waiting for a call back from SHM now.

Heather
post #9 of 22 Old 04-22-2002, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys.

I am gonna call Keith now.

I am gonna buy all new rockers and lifters too and replace them. Just in case while it's down.

Heather
post #10 of 22 Old 04-23-2002, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

I left a few mess. for Keith, So I am assuming tomorrow he will return my call.

I am being told my tach might be off. And that could be a problem. I am still using my stock tach and I might be hitting the rev lim. w/o knowing it. I don't know.

post #11 of 22 Old 04-23-2002, 01:57 AM

Over-revving the engine could definitely be the cause of your problems.

If you are not over-revving the motor, I would suspect that something is inherently wrong with the cams themselves, as I have never heard of SHM blower cams (or any other type of aftermarket blower regrind for that matter) causing the problems that you are describing.

If your SHM blower cams are regrinds, maybe they were "re-ground" incorrectly, resulting in excessive lift. (AKA: You might have received a bad/defective set of camshafts that were not re-ground to acceptable specifications.)

Good luck solving the problem.

1998 Ford Mustang COBRA Coupe
_______ # 21 of 5174 _______
  • FMS 4.10:1 Ring & Pinion
  • FMS Aluminum Driveshaft
  • Stock Muffler/Dynomax Hybrid Cat-Back

Last edited by Jahel'98COBRA; 04-23-2002 at 02:00 AM.
post #12 of 22 Old 04-23-2002, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Jahel'98COBRA
Over-revving the engine could definitely be the cause of your problems.

If you are not over-revving the motor, I would suspect that something is inherently wrong with the cams themselves, as I have never heard of SHM blower cams (or any other type of aftermarket blower regrind for that matter) causing the problems that you are describing.

If your SHM blower cams are regrinds, maybe they were "re-ground" incorrectly, resulting in excessive lift. (AKA: You might have received a bad/defective set of camshafts that were not re-ground to acceptable specifications.)

Good luck solving the problem.

Thanks for your help.

But I know my cams aren't a problem.
They are billet steel cams and they aren't defective. I have had them for a while now and now that I am putting some miles on them I am having problems elsewhere.

I am going to start with an aftermarket tach and a whole new set of rockers and lifters and go from there.
Hopefully that will solve my problem. I will know this week and I will keep everyone posted.

Heather
post #13 of 22 Old 04-23-2002, 10:37 AM

Heather, let us know how those new rocker and lifters work out.

BTW, I've got Houston Performance blower regrind cams in my setup and have not had a problem (yet). Close to 20K on the clock with them. Of course, this may be useless info to you since you are dealing with a SOHC setup and mine is DOHC. Even so, I've got some basic lift/duration info lying around somewhere, if you want to compare notes. I'd be interested in seeing the SHM specs, if you have them.

570rwhp/466tq on only 10.5 psi boost
Official 1/4 mile: [email protected] 1.81 60' limited only by the IRS and road race suspension
A 10 sec capable car!

A Cobra on the surface, a Viper underneath!

Gauges - zoom in || Exterior - larger view|| -- Engine-zoom in -- ||Front suspension

Other stuff (partial list):
Roll cage
Trunk mods
T-56 R&R guide tube
T-56 R&R input shaft breakage
Spring cleaning
post #14 of 22 Old 04-23-2002, 10:48 AM

Wish I had the funds to do all this. You must be a doctor or something Heather. :P
post #15 of 22 Old 04-23-2002, 10:50 AM

Unhappy

HEATHER--

I'll say it again, Your PROBLEMS are NOT the Rockers and Lifters...Joe Stewart uses stock stuff, Dave King does, John M. does, etc etc....You are running into Coil Bind on the stock Valve Springs...The cams have Too much lift for the stock springs to handle so they aren't providing enough seat pressure and as a result it is causing your rockers to break under the coil bind....Besides with the Autologic software, your Rev limiter should be set at the moon in the chip, around 8000rpms or so.....Just trying to save you extra money that doesn't need to be spent and the real route of your problem....

Jeff
post #16 of 22 Old 04-23-2002, 11:05 AM

I don't believe money is a concern for her.
post #17 of 22 Old 04-23-2002, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZorranderGT
I don't believe money is a concern for her.
Yeah, me either. Can't miss something you never had.

Heather, are you married? Do you have a sister?
post #18 of 22 Old 04-23-2002, 11:58 AM

I'm thinking valve springs also. I ordered the FOMPK set for my car.

I'm Such a F**king Dick!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 22 Old 04-23-2002, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackCobra99Va
HEATHER--

I'll say it again, Your PROBLEMS are NOT the Rockers and Lifters...Joe Stewart uses stock stuff, Dave King does, John M. does, etc etc....You are running into Coil Bind on the stock Valve Springs...The cams have Too much lift for the stock springs to handle so they aren't providing enough seat pressure and as a result it is causing your rockers to break under the coil bind....Besides with the Autologic software, your Rev limiter should be set at the moon in the chip, around 8000rpms or so.....Just trying to save you extra money that doesn't need to be spent and the real route of your problem....

Jeff
Jeff, I guess depending on how you look at it, the problem could be either. While the root cause may be the cam lift, a solution may be what she is doing rather than re-addressing the cams.

As you indicated, that too is one of the reasons I did not get any more agressive with my cams -- in order keep the stock valve and springs. I have a feeling that her GT sounds and performs really good with those cams, though. Almost makes me wish I had gone the more agressive route , but at the time I couldn't find suitable aftermarket replacement springs.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-23-2002, 12:39 PM

Cool

Coop---Yeah, finding Valves and Valvesprings is like finding a needle in a haystack these days for the 4V...LOL...Not going to get into that whole story...Seriously though, the new Vavles from Ferrera that Pro Power sells are very nice...They are Ferrera 6000 series valves and are NICE pieces, going in my heads....

One more thing, maybe I confused you, I'm saying that her Cams are fine, the cam specs are fine, sure they work good with the lift and duration of them....They actually work great in my car too

What I meant by refering to the cams having too much lift for the stock valve springs was just to indicate that she needs Aftermarket Valve Springs that can handle more lift from the Cam so they don't reach Coil Bind....The rockers and lifters are fine, have nothing to do with the cams, its just the Springs...Hope that makes sense....lol....

Jeff
post #21 of 22 Old 04-23-2002, 04:51 PM

Yeah, getting the springs replaced was the same warning I got from Steve D (at HP) when I initially asked him for a more agressive cam grind. He said he wouldn't recommend making them any more agressive unless I was ready to replace the springs. I'm glad I took that advice.
post #22 of 22 Old 04-23-2002, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Jeff,

I am not running into coil bind.
SHM has ran these cams for 4 years now w/o coil bind and using stock springs.

It's not a Camshaft issue.

Either my tach might be off or the cams aren't shimmed correctly.

So I am gonna start w/ taking the cams out, checking the shims, make sure everything is in correctly, put new rockers and lifters and add a TACH.

My close "friend" in the modular world says this will cure my headache. I believe in him. So we will see what happens.

I will keep you posted. I will know by the end of this week. I am waiting on the parts now.

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement