Ordered the O3 Cobra! Now, what wing??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-21-2002, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Ordered the O3 Cobra! Now, what wing???

Ok guys, I've got a O3 Cobra on order! I got it for MSRP. Not happy about that, but seems like the basic "good deal" everyones getting. Torch Red, spoiler delete, standard satin rims. Cobra R wing more than likely to be the wing it gets. "Red...and an R wing"? Yeah I know, "fake R" but the wing really matches the body style. Haven't looked into many other wings yet so its not set in stone. If anyone has some pics of some wings..post them. I'll entertain some optional ideas. If you've got them in red, even better. Well, already wondering whats taking my car so long to show up. I was told I was the 6th guy to place an order at this dealership. And all the dealers around here (about 6) said about the same amount gone. So it really sounds like these things will be gone in a few months. He also said I'd be "in the second batch, around September" whatever that means. I'm hoping it won't be that long. If so..plenty of time to save up for some fake "R" decals...lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-21-2002, 09:57 PM

steeda race wing or maybe saleen s-281 wing. i would advise against ANY references to fake r emblems ecspecially in here. i don't think the cobra r had any special emblems anyway.

post #3 of 17 Old 04-21-2002, 11:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Definitely Saleen S281!!

Todd
89 LX 5.0
99 Saleen XP8 - For sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-21-2002, 11:33 PM

Wing delete!!!

C
post #5 of 17 Old 04-22-2002, 12:12 AM

Just curious, are you looking for form or function?

I guess I am a little old school, in that if it didn't come with it and you're going to add it, it should make it go faster or perform better in what you want to do with it. If it doesn't make it go faster it's a waste of money.

My friend in HS went out and spent $1000 on chrome crap and I went out and spent $750 on a cam, intake, etc. He said, "Doesn't it look great?" I said, "Yeah, but I'm still kicking your azz, so who cares?"

It's your car and your money. Have fun with it.

Last edited by 97DOHC; 04-22-2002 at 12:19 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-22-2002, 07:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Go wingless
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #7 of 17 Old 04-22-2002, 01:33 PM

Show some class, its a cobra....WINGLESS.

e90 328i
post #8 of 17 Old 04-22-2002, 03:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Gotta watch what you put on, might make it look ricey. I would only buy a wing from Ford, either the stock one or a Cobra R. I actually want to put a Cobra R on my 96 Cobra. That wing is great looking, and functional (helps to keep the rear of the car glued down at top speeds) So, IMO get the Cobra R.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-22-2002, 03:25 PM

wing

I saw a great interview with Colletti on speed vision this weekend. He talked about the development of the R and the lift they found the car made when you start getting into the speeds that the R (and hopefully the 03) will do. Bottom line is our body style was not meant to see 175mph. They developed the Cobra R wing and front splitter to keep it on the ground! There are a couple of other functional wings out there but wingless is nuts, go with your instinct and get the R wing.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-22-2002, 03:39 PM

I am no whizz at the functionality of the wings, but from what i have heard the R wing provides the most functionality. I believe it too, look at the size of that thing. I personally like the Roush wing, it's functional, but not to the extent of the R wing. The Saleen wing is functional as well according to their website. it looks cool, my friends got a saleen. The newer Saleens have the wing and some pieces that attach to the side of the rear panal to make the wing look like it drapes over to the sides of the car. I do not know if i explained that well, maybe someone has pictures of them and can post them. I think the car looks great without a wing, but because the platform was not intended for high speed stabilization I think a wing is a great investment if u are going to go that fast. (I think most wings are functional around 75mph, correct me if I am wrong). Well my vote is for the Roush wing, but get ehich ever wing will make you happy since it's your money.

post #11 of 17 Old 04-22-2002, 03:47 PM

I vote for the Nekkid Deck look

Phil.
Virgin 96 GT
Mods: K&N Filter, FRPP-SVO tranny cooler, "good" 3:27 factory gears, Diablo Sport Chip to fix shifting and stuff. Nekkid red devil babe sticker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 17 Old 04-22-2002, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

K, guys.....

Well, still undecided. I wish there was a "Wing Rack" out there...lol. So I could put wings on like Tire Rack does rims. Still leaning towards the R wing. If I go Saleen or Roush, it's just the same IMO as running the R wing as far as having a "fake" wing on it. As far as function, well I'm not planning on any speed runs. I think I like the idea that the wing is functional, but I won't be testing it. I just think I like how that wing fits the body, and and how it is at least a Ford part. Granted, for a different car.
TTAFB_AFB..I was just kidding about the emblems, the last thing I want is for people to think I was trying to build up a fake R. I have a 98 Cobra..and hate the fake Cobras. If I was getting this car in white, I wouldn't think anyone would notice but the hardcore guys. But since the cars going to be Torch red, I know people are going to think thats what it is. What color is the R exactly? Is it Torch red? Or a different name? Well thanks for the advice so far...I'll still take more. Thanks for the pic MineralgSVT, looks sharp. Looks like a great wing for the "speedster" look you have.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-22-2002, 08:44 PM

Steeda Race wing!
post #14 of 17 Old 04-23-2002, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmerMuscle
I am no whizz at the functionality of the wings, but from what i have heard the R wing provides the most functionality. I believe it too, look at the size of that thing. I personally like the Roush wing, it's functional, but not to the extent of the R wing. The Saleen wing is functional as well according to their website. it looks cool, my friends got a saleen. The newer Saleens have the wing and some pieces that attach to the side of the rear panal to make the wing look like it drapes over to the sides of the car. I do not know if i explained that well, maybe someone has pictures of them and can post them. I think the car looks great without a wing, but because the platform was not intended for high speed stabilization I think a wing is a great investment if u are going to go that fast. (I think most wings are functional around 75mph, correct me if I am wrong). Well my vote is for the Roush wing, but get ehich ever wing will make you happy since it's your money.
No, you're right. At 75 mph, the wing IS functional. It is creating drag at that speed. I hear ya about the R wing, but just how often do you drive 170 mph? How about 150? 120?

Wingless is a cleaner look IMO. Just don't get too ricey.

Fred
03 Cobra Coupe DSG

“You don’t need the bullet when you got the ballot.” ~George Clinton
post #15 of 17 Old 04-23-2002, 10:26 AM

Another vote for the Steeda wing. MAN that thing will look good on the 03!!!!!

-Adam

Single Turbo 2000 Saleen S281 856rwhp - sold but never forgotten
post #16 of 17 Old 04-23-2002, 10:32 AM

I vote for the R.

I'm Such a F**king Dick!!!
post #17 of 17 Old 04-23-2002, 11:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I think the R wing is tacky, but thats just my opinion.....a little too rice for my taste.......i vote for the saleen 281 spoiler

'98 Yellow Cobra (sold and missed)
'98 Yellow Vortech Cobra (purchased 10/1/11) 410rwhp/365rwtq Injected Engineering tuned
'12 F150 xlt 4x4 (purchased 10/10/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement