98 Cobra vs. 2001 GT - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-21-2002, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Smile 98 Cobra vs. 2001 GT

I am having the hardest time making up my mind when it comes to buying a car. I have basically narrowed down my choices to a nice (if a little hard to find) 98 Cobra, 2001 GT or (flame suit on) Z28 LS1. I don't expect too much positive advice regarding the last possibility, but I digress. Asthetically, the GT is my favorite. But the DOHC 32 valve of the Cobra is SWEEEEET. I'm not interested in a 99 cobra. I would love to get a 2001 Cobra, but my girl would kill me if she saw the payments. What do you all think?

Would I be better off with a nice 98 Cobra as opposed to a newish GT? Also how much stronger is the 3650 than the t45? Are we just talking varying degrees of crap? Speed is very important, but supercharging is out of the question. Are bolt on Cobras that much faster than a new GT with the same mods? Reliability is pretty important to me and I would love a warranty, otherwise I would just go for the 98 Cobra without a doubt. Am I asking for trouble with a 98 snake? Opinions please! I have read this forum for a while and have done all the searches, but some "personalized" advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-21-2002, 05:34 PM

Why do you want a 01 cobra but not a 99? Basically the same car.

Yes a 98 cobra is better than a 2001GT with equal mods, by quite a bit. I think the 3650 is rated at the same torque of a 3550(I my be wrong)

Get the Cobra if you can afford it, get the 99 Cobra if you like the new looks better.

Last edited by JF99GT; 04-21-2002 at 05:38 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-21-2002, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Are bolt on Cobras that much faster than a new GT with the same mods?
A GT will have to go into the motor to hang with a bolt on Cobra. No ifs ands or buts that the Cobra would be the faster bolton car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-21-2002, 05:43 PM

LS 1 is faster out of the box, but I think the build quality and the available parts for the Mustangs put them clearly out front. I admit a Ford bias, but work on both. Mustang is easier to work on and holds up better. Better looking to. LS 1 is a hell of a motor, but mods are few when compared to whats out for the 4.6. Either car with bolt ons will match or beat the LS 1. The Cobra being ahead on this one. Part of the fun of owning a car like this is individualizing it. Winner Mustang, with the edge going to the Cobra.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-21-2002, 05:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
i say go with the 98 cobra. just check SLOSVT's sig and that is why i would go with the cobra.

marcus

'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L - offroad toy
post #6 of 10 Old 04-21-2002, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone.

JF99GT, I guess I am not totally opposed to a 99 Cobra, I am just a little anal about them having "screwed up" motor and the fix that is required for it and all that. A silly reason that sounds even sillier when I see it in writing. Also, I was thinking that a 98 Cobra would be the better buy when compared to a 99. I don't think that either would have a warranty, so I might as well save some cake.

Keith Foster, is the build quality of a Stang that much better than an F body? I thought they were pretty much on the same level (ie. not the strong point of the either design).

So, am I safe in assuming that a well maintained 98 Cobra shouldn't give me too many problems? I am particularly concerned about the tranny, as everyone seems to talk so much trash about it.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-21-2002, 07:16 PM

LS1's are great powerhouses...no doubt. I agree with Keith Foster regarding the build quality though. I was checking out new/used Camaros and Firebirds before I got my Stang and I noticed alot of quirks. Example: Doors didn't seem to hang well after a couple of years. I didn't have any bias beforehand so it was an objective observation. (for all you Chevy guys who are lighting up the flamethrowers.)

New GT...easier and cheaper to mod than the LS1. (but you gotta mod to catch up to them!)
Powerful, but, being new, you're gonna get that out -the-door depreciation. I'd try to find a slightly used one if you're gonna get a GT, unless you really want the new car warranty or one of the new colors.

98 Cobra...not many real Cobras on the road. -If you're into exclusivity. You can Supercharge a GT, change out the suspension and make it a more formidable weapon than a stock Cobra, but it still won't be a Cobra. (If you care about that.) Also the IRS is kinda nice. GT owners have to be experts at manhandling that solid rear axle around bumpy corners. It likes to hop!

If you can get a steal on a late model Cobra, I'd say it would give the best bang-for-your-buck.

Watchawannado? It's your money.

BTW...Most of the probs. with the 99 Cobras have been fixed. almost all the owners have turned them in for the repairs to that problem. I think Ford still has that repair program open for 99 Cobra owners too. -But I'm not sure.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-21-2002, 07:26 PM

I say go with the 01 GT. The power difference in a stock 98 cobra vs a 01 Gt is not that much. I think the 98 cobras ran like 13.5-13.8's and the 01 gt's are not far behind with low 14's. Plus the 99+ body style is alot better in my opinion plus I am sure the 01 still has a warranty where the 98 does not. The 01 with pullies, cold air, 4.10's, and exhaust will run low-mid 13's easily.
Sg
post #9 of 10 Old 04-21-2002, 08:16 PM

Having owned both a '96 Cobra coupe and now an '00 GT coupe (just modified with Bullitt wheels and the '01 fake hood scoop), I have distinct opinions based on what is most important to you.

style - a tie in my book
stock handling - '01 GT; the linear springs, improved steering feel, and slightly wider rear wheel stance are crisper and less floaty than the Cobra
around-town acceleration "seat of the pants" feel under 65mph with no gear change - '01 GT; you've got to rev the DOHC engine up higher
highway acceleration "seat of the pants" feel over 65mph with no gear change - '98 Cobra, as it really kicks in over 4500 rpm
exclusivity/resale - '98 Cobra; no contest here, as the limited numbers help at trade-in or sale time; having a hand-built aluminum engine is a performance enthusiast's dream in my book
mechanical reliability without engine mods - a tie
build quality - a tie, although both have had things to correct under warranty; throwout bearings, clutch cables, anti-roll bars, seatbelt functioning, vibrating clutch; neither coupe had significant rattling interior parts

I did not mechanically alter either car, so I cannot speak to response to power adders, gears, etc.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-21-2002, 08:22 PM

If supercharging is out of the question, I'd stick with the DOHC. Mod-for-mod, it will out-perform its SOHC brethern, especially once it's been geared. Your best bet is to test drive both for a more unbiased opinion. Of course, the '01 will have that 'new' feel to it, so you may have to watch your bias in that regard, but don't be afraid to let the cobra sink its teeth into the 7000 rpm mark. The DOHC will make a believer out of you after you let it breathe up top a time or two.

If budget is your concern, why not re-look at the '99 Cobras? I got mine for insanely cheap and I can guarantee that every pony (no pun intended) is accounted for. The engine internals are definitely no worse than any other, only the original intake, exhaust, and ECM settings.

The down-side to the '99 cobras is that they're twice as expensive to change gears in (labour-wise) and IMHO, are ten times more likely to break at the drag strip. (the half-shafts)

Anyway, you asked for our $0.02 worth, so here ya go!

My vote goes to the snake!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement