dynoed my 96 cobra today....good results i guess.but was smokin - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-20-2002, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
dynoed my 96 cobra today....good results i guess.but was smokin

alrite below are my dyno results from TEA today in bowling green on my 96 cobra with a 80mm proM, kn filtercharger, steeda pullies, flowmasters and bbk offroadH. Well my first run was shatty to say the least, it said i only pulled 232 horse and like 235 torque, and in 4th aboeve 6 grand my car smoked like heck This ticked me off kinda so i made another pull and this time a 266.6hp with 263 torque, so i was improving, but still SMOKING..ughh......U dont know how ticked i am right now to say the least. So i waited an hour and a half then pulled one last time, and that pull was my best at 279.8hp and 276 torque, but this time no spoke until i let off the gas in 4th gear at the end of the run. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COULD BE CAUSING MY SMOKING PROBLEM? I was told it may be a weak valve spring, but im stuck with this on my mind and i gotta get it fixed..jared

run 1-232hp, 235 torque
run 2-266hp, 262 torque
run 3-279hp, 276 torque

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-20-2002, 11:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
What Color Smoke?

1999 Mustang Cobra MMR 1500 5.4 DOHC
898/779rwtq 14psi 17deg timing E85
post #3 of 19 Old 04-20-2002, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

humm.im not really that sure because i was in the car when i was getting a pull on it, but it was heavy the first two pulls but was less the last run. It only did it in 4th gear above 6 grand or so, take in mind however that i was doing over 130mph on the dyno and my car had NEVER been that fast before since ive owned it and im sure the first time owner never got near that fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 12:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
a couple of weeks ago i dynoed my cobra. on my last pull when i shutdown, a puff of white smoke came from my engine(towards the firewall i'm assuming). the dyno guy said it might be a leak in the rear main seal. i have a little exhuast leak and my x-pipe is now coated with black gunk. it looks like a black garbage bag melted on it. i haven't had time to look at it, but i'm not too worried about it. theres no check engine light and the car pulls hard throughout the rpms. my car has only 22k on it. let me know if you find out anything about the smoke. goodluck.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 12:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (37)
By your description and your dyno#'s I think your car was just carboned up. You said it's never been to 130mph and it didn't start smoking till after 6k would tell me that it's just burning the excess carbon off the cylinders. If u look at your #'s they got progressively better each pass. Also you said the last pass it didn't smoke until u let off in 4th gear. It's both carbon on pistons and your IMRC's were getting cleaned out. Remember u can't take a race horse out of retirement and expect it to win the Kentucky Derby. You have to clean the car out every once in awhile. Sorry for the long post. I think that is the prob, but what do I know. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night! -Mark

98 red cobra (N/A 5.4)
[email protected] (1.59 60')
post #6 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 12:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
btw what was your A/F ratio? my car was running pig rich up top, 11.1:1.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bitemark46
By your description and your dyno#'s I think your car was just carboned up. You said it's never been to 130mph and it didn't start smoking till after 6k would tell me that it's just burning the excess carbon off the cylinders. If u look at your #'s they got progressively better each pass. Also you said the last pass it didn't smoke until u let off in 4th gear. It's both carbon on pistons and your IMRC's were getting cleaned out. Remember u can't take a race horse out of retirement and expect it to win the Kentucky Derby. You have to clean the car out every once in awhile. Sorry for the long post. I think that is the prob, but what do I know. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night! -Mark

Im praying, i mean praying that youre right. However, i did run a 14.4 at the track tonite, and that was my best time, pretty crappy for the first time running the car and only topped 100 once. ugh not good. But hopefully youre right, thanks for the help..

by the way, would a change of plugs, plug wires and fuel filter help me out ya think?
post #8 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jareds96svt

Im praying, i mean praying that youre right. However, i did run a 14.4 at the track tonite, and that was my best time, pretty crappy for the first time running the car and only topped 100 once. ugh not good. But hopefully youre right, thanks for the help..

by the way, would a change of plugs, plug wires and fuel filter help me out ya think?
Yes. If u have the stock wires and filter, definately. As far as w/ plugs, u can go w/ either Autolite 764's or NGK tr55's. Both of these plugs are copper and are good for a cobra that's n/a(no power adder.) -Mark

98 red cobra (N/A 5.4)
post #9 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes. If u have the stock wires and filter, definately. As far as w/ plugs, u can go w/ either Autolite 764's or NGK tr55's. Both of these plugs are copper and are good for a cobra that's n/a(no power adder.) -Mark
are the stock ford plugs u can get at the dealer just as good or not? I was thinking ford copper plugs that come stock and a set of 9mm ford racing wires...
post #10 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 12:56 AM

Jared, the stock plugs in your car are platinum. Ford puts these in the motors not for performance but for longevity(sp?). U will get more performance out of a copper plug than a platinum. The only downside it that u have to change them more often. The Ford racing plugs are fine(look good too) that's what I use. U can ask your local dealer if they have a set of "copper" Ford plugs that will work for your car. See what they say. But make sure u say copper. Half the time those idiots behind the counter just look on the computer screen and see Plug + cobra = part# Not knowing the difference. -Mark

98 red cobra (N/A 5.4)
post #11 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Jared, the stock plugs in your car are platinum. Ford puts these in the motors not for performance but for longevity(sp?). U will get more performance out of a copper plug than a platinum. The only downside it that u have to change them more often. The Ford racing plugs are fine(look good too) that's what I use. U can ask your local dealer if they have a set of "copper" Ford plugs that will work for your car. See what they say. But make sure u say copper. Half the time those idiots behind the counter just look on the computer screen and see Plug + cobra = part# Not knowing the difference. -Mark

yep im leaning towards ford plugs and wires and pvc valve here soon to try and cure my problem, maybe?!
post #12 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 01:16 AM

Those numbers on your third pull are very consistent with other '96 Cobras with the same mods. Good run.

Jay
2004 Mystichrome Cobra Convertible
Steeda Tri-Ax, Steeda full length subframes, Steeda IRS subframe brackets
post #13 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

thanks now all i gotta do is get that hooked up at the track...
post #14 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 08:51 AM

Do go ahead and change those plugs and wires. I had a friend who used to have a 94 GT and he always babied it. So every once in a while me and my other friend would take it around the block to do an 'Italian Tune Up'. One day when we did this we opened the car up on a lonely stretch of road and I look behind me and my god the black smoke that came out of the tailpipe was unreal. The car was always in good shape mechanically so I assumed it was just carbon buildup.

1996 Cobra- Laser Red.Born Halloween 1995.
Vortech SC
post #15 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 10:45 AM

How many miles on your 96 Cobra? My 97 has about 65,000, and runs just like new. I use freeway onramps as a good opportunity to test my handling, and rev the snot out of the engine. Take it right to 7000 RPM, but try to avoid the rev-limiter. That should keep it "tuned-up".

BTW, I took out my stock platinum plugs at about 30,000 miles and tried a few different brands of copper plugs. Absolutely no performance difference that I could tell. I'm still using the stock wires, without a hint of misfire. I think for N/A cars, if its not misfiring, you are wasting your money to change them.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 03:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Question

I think those numbers look low for the mods and I think there must be something wrong somehwere. Mine didn't miss that by much and it was really hot and stonde stock down to the paper filter.
BTW...I think my stock wires are junk just like the Motorsport wires. I looked them over really closely and found a couple burned spots where the wires are routed near misc bolts.

'94 GT5.0 5speed, 170,000 mile long block, GT40, FRPP headers, 65mm TB, Pro 5.0, 3:55s, pulleys, Flowmaster, BBK X-pipe, FRPP Cobra front AND rear brakes, Tokico 5-way Illumina struts and shocks, Eibach springs: 235 rwhp, 291 rwtq.
04 Screaming Yellow Cobra - pretty much stock.
458 rwhp, 435 rwtq.
post #17 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by steve97Cobra
How many miles on your 96 Cobra? My 97 has about 65,000, and runs just like new. I use freeway onramps as a good opportunity to test my handling, and rev the snot out of the engine. Take it right to 7000 RPM, but try to avoid the rev-limiter. That should keep it "tuned-up".

BTW, I took out my stock platinum plugs at about 30,000 miles and tried a few different brands of copper plugs. Absolutely no performance difference that I could tell. I'm still using the stock wires, without a hint of misfire. I think for N/A cars, if its not misfiring, you are wasting your money to change them.

well my car has just a tad over 42K on it right now and its a 96. It has been babied since ive had it and i know the guy before me took good care of it and never reemed it any, so i dont know what to do.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

ttt
post #19 of 19 Old 04-21-2002, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

well guess im gonna buy some new plugs tomorrow and fuel filter and pcv valve, and see if that helps. Then ill get some 9mm ford wires when i get the $
Sponsored Links
Advertisement