4.30s are installed! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-20-2002, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
4.30s are installed!

I got the gears installed on Thursday and I love them! 1st gear is VERY short. 2nd gear pulls hard. I have a question though. Once I get above 30 mph I would hear this quiet ongoing thumping noise. Then once I shift from 3-4 and 4-5 it gets more noticable. Then when I depress the clutch at speed the noise gets quieter. I let the clutch out the noise comes back. Also when I slow down with the clutch out the noise is still present.

Today I had jacked the car up and put it in 4th gear and notice alot of noise coming from the rear. Is this normal?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-20-2002, 11:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (18)
Lightbulb Re: 4.30s are installed!

Quote:
Originally posted by tim lester
I got the gears installed on Thursday and I love them! 1st gear is VERY short. 2nd gear pulls hard. I have a question though. Once I get above 30 mph I would hear this quiet ongoing thumping noise. Then once I shift from 3-4 and 4-5 it gets more noticable. Then when I depress the clutch at speed the noise gets quieter. I let the clutch out the noise comes back. Also when I slow down with the clutch out the noise is still present.

Today I had jacked the car up and put it in 4th gear and notice alot of noise coming from the rear. Is this normal?

Thanks
NO, none of this is normal. I had 4.10's installed in my '01 Cobra, and I get none of those noises. Take the car back to whomever did your gears & have them rectify those problem sounds.

(PS: Glad you like those gears - I LOVE my 4.10's!!! )

Best N/A ET on the factory long-block: 11.16 @ 120.24 mph

Last edited by Angus; 04-20-2002 at 11:18 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2002, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Thaks for the reply Angus Anybody else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-21-2002, 07:35 PM

Sounds like something similar to what I found on my Jeep when I put my air lockers in. The front had a "thump" that would occur at every tire rotation. Pulled the inspection plate and found a serious ding on one of the ring gear teeth which happened to line up with the pinion gear when the "thump" occurred. Havnet got mine resolved yet, but I think I'm gonna need a new ring/pinion to fix it.

If yours happens at low speed and you can hear it that low, I was able to isolate mine by putting the car on jackstands and rotating the axle. The "thump" occurred at exactly the same position of wheel rotation which got me to thinking ring gear. Thats when I pulled the diff cover and found then ding.

Dont know if thats yours, but it is one idea...
post #5 of 5 Old 04-21-2002, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help TriBlkCobra.

Tonight I put the car on jack stands again and I took the tires and brake calipers and rotors off. I noticed that the right rear axle would move very little in and out. The left rear axle would move about a 1/4 inch in and out. I started it out in 1st gear with no noise. 2nd gear is the same. Then once I got it into 3rd I started to hear a rattling in the rear end. As I went into 4th and 5th the noise got more noticable. I pushed in the clutch and it went away.
Should the pinion spin freely when it is in the housing? Mine seemed kinda tight.

Tim

Last edited by tim lester; 04-22-2002 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement