TRI-AX making a lot of noise - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
TRI-AX making a lot of noise

I just got it in and love it. I like the way it sounds too when shifting but don't like the way it sounds when just running normally. I drove about an hour and a half and when dead quiet all you can here is trany noise. It is kinda loud too. It was never like that before. If I move te shifter around a little while in 5th it maks a little different sound. What is the problem? Should I put something else in there to block the noise better?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 12:39 AM

There isn't any problem with the shifter, or the transmission for that matter. If you take a look at how the stock handle is mounted, you'll see the rubber isolator there. The purpose of the rubber is to #1: Make the shifter more spongy. This appeals to the average buyer. You and I and all "performance minded" people know that there is an aftermarket centered around our cars. The "average buyer" just thinks that the car looks cool, has a name to it and feels alright. This brings us into point #2: The "average buyer" doesn't want to hear the transmission during driving. They are more concerned that the car doesn't mess up their cellphone conversations, and a noisy transmission will do just that. Ford knows this. Ford also knows that there is an aftermarket for the Mustang, and not wanting to put them out of a job, puts that crappy thing on the transmission. Case in point: When I installed mine, the wife couldn't stand driving my car. She said she didn't like the way it shifted (average driver). Then I taught her how to use the new shifter, and oh my god, did she like it. Only problem she had was she said her arm hurt after driving my car. It does take some getting used to.

Hope this helps.

post #3 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 01:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally posted by No Control
There isn't any problem with the shifter, or the transmission for that matter. If you take a look at how the stock handle is mounted, you'll see the rubber isolator there. The purpose of the rubber is to #1: Make the shifter more spongy. This appeals to the average buyer. You and I and all "performance minded" people know that there is an aftermarket centered around our cars. The "average buyer" just thinks that the car looks cool, has a name to it and feels alright. This brings us into point #2: The "average buyer" doesn't want to hear the transmission during driving. They are more concerned that the car doesn't mess up their cellphone conversations, and a noisy transmission will do just that. Ford knows this. Ford also knows that there is an aftermarket for the Mustang, and not wanting to put them out of a job, puts that crappy thing on the transmission. Case in point: When I installed mine, the wife couldn't stand driving my car. She said she didn't like the way it shifted (average driver). Then I taught her how to use the new shifter, and oh my god, did she like it. Only problem she had was she said her arm hurt after driving my car. It does take some getting used to.

Hope this helps.
So when I put the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter in and I use my stock shifter handle, the transmission noise will go away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 01:10 AM

Just put a piece of rubber between the handle and the shifter. I used a piece of bike inner tube. What also helps is puting some dynamat in there.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 01:15 AM

That's like cutting the performance enhancement in half. That's one of the things I like about it. My own opinion, and yes it's just like the a**hole that's behind me. Smells like roses to me, but usually stinks to others.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 02:20 AM

I installed my Tri-ax too today and I like it. I think I can bear the noise but it might just need some breaking in.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by esandes
I installed my Tri-ax too today and I like it. I think I can bear the noise but it might just need some breaking in.
It'll loosen up some over the next few months. I've had mine in for over a year and it's just right. Tranny noise comes with any aftermarket shifter. The rubber insulator that was on the stock shifter is a sound and vibration dampener. Without it, you get a direct connection to the trans. Isn't that really the point of it anyway?
post #8 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 03:12 AM

It is the point but there is wear and tear. I love your cat...can you give it a couple of pets for me please...then give it a can of tuna.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by esandes
It is the point but there is wear and tear. I love your cat...can you give it a couple of pets for me please...then give it a can of tuna.
The only thing it's wearin' and tearin' is your hand. It's no different from the trans end.
Linus says thanks for the pettin'. Occasionally, he gets "tuna juice" (the stuff you drain from the can) with a few chunks of tuna thrown in for good measure.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 10:31 AM

Make sure you still have a small air gap between the shifter and the stop bolts. Yes, mine does, and it still makes noise, but not THAT bad.

'02 GT Automatic 4R70W, Pullies, C&L plenum, BBK 75mm TB, Steeda LCAs, al. driveshaft, 3.73s, Predator tune, trimmed air snorkel, stock H-pipe, Magnaflow cat-back. (Wife's car)
13.91 @ 100.1
----------------------------------------------
post #11 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 10:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I posted about this a few weeks ago, I plan on doing "some rubber" or dynomat to help with this. It's not that I really worry about the noise, but sometimes it is too much. Granted when I get the exhaust on the car, I will have a hard time hearing it. Until then, it will be a cheap fix. That is of course that the rubber will give it a spongy feeling, which I don't want.

Shawn

2004 Comp Orange Cobra Vert
1995 Cobra R
2003 Shamu Harley Davidson F150

"Run what you brung & hope you've brung enough"
post #12 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 11:51 AM

I put the inner factory rubber boot back on as well, I have the handle in the upper position. I hear barely any more noise than stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement