Why did they go to an iron block in the 2003? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #36 of 39 Old 04-19-2002, 02:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by IslandVobra

I guess I didn't lay on the sarcasm enough. Heat management, lol.

James
Yeah, "heat management" was a lousy choice of words since it sounds like I was implying that the Al blocks would dissipate less heat than the Fe blocks, or something to that effect. Obviously that isn't going to happen, since Al has a thermal conductivity of ~3X that of cast iron. The point that I was trying to make (rather poorly, it seems...) is that the Al blocks are more likely to be adversely affected by long term exposure to heat than Fe blocks are. More specifically, the deck surface of the Al block is more likely to warp than a similar Fe block would under similar conditions, IMO. I'm not talking about structural failure here, but just enough warpage/distortion of the deck surface to cause head gasket problems after many thousands of miles, for example.

Obviously the Al blocks can stand the stresses of 1000+ hp engines for short periods of time, at least. But can they tolerate opertaing under stress at high temps for long periods of time without warping enough to cause head gasket problems? I dunno, but it wouldn't surprise me if deck surface warpage was an issue with the existing Al blocks that a simple switch to Fe blocks made "good enough" to pass Ford's durability tests. It might not be the ideal solution (especially for a car that is already too heavy), but it just might have been "good enough" in Ford's eyes to pursue. I have no doubt that the reduced cost of the iron blocks made the bean counters *very* happy, but I still suspect that cost wasn't the only issue. Only Ford knows for sure.

'00 Mustang GT
'72 Camaro 383
'87 Porsche 928 S4
'93 F-150 4x4 5.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37 of 39 Old 04-19-2002, 02:23 PM

BMW uses AL spray bore blocks. Just thought I would throw that in there. They make over 300hp until Dinan get ahold of them.

post #38 of 39 Old 04-19-2002, 02:30 PM

I think we have beat this horse to death a while back...too many different rumurs to make a sure decision why...just be happy it makes all kinds of HP and TQ.....and will have a factory warranty...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39 of 39 Old 04-19-2002, 08:15 PM

It is based on cost to produce.

The al block must be spray bored or sleeved after casting for proper fit of piston and durability.

The Fe block is merely bored and honed then is ready for assembly.

Eliminated at least 2 steps in the production process.

= cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement