Chirping right rear - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-18-2002, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Chirping right rear

Here's the sitch: I made a sharp right turn into a parking lot a couple of days ago, and tagged the right rear tire on the curb, probably going about 15mph. The impact snapped the rear sway bar on the driver's side. The impact was to the side of the tire and moved the rear axle laterally. My Ford dealer replaced the sway bar yesterday. Since I hit the curb, even with the new sway bar, I am chirping the right rear tire a lot, especially making a right turn from a stop.

Tire pressure is good. What could be tweaked?

Also, how do I tell if I have a limited slip diff?

Thanks,

Nathan S.
96GT, K&N, Flowmasters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-18-2002, 10:41 AM

Your traction lock might be worn out on you posi unit. Causing one tire to spin. Thats the only thing i can think of. You can order a traction lock rebuild kit at a ford dealer.

post #3 of 6 Old 04-19-2002, 02:07 PM

GT,
I kinda did the same thing you did, but I hit the curb at a higher rate of speed. I made a turn real fast, then got on the gas too hard and the rearend got loose which caused me to overcompensate and I hit my rt rear wheel on the curb. It bent my rim and srapped it pretty bad.

I got that fixed, but now when I tap or step on my brakes to slow down, I get a squeking sound from that wheel. It doesn't stop until I come to a complete stop. Everything checks out fine, but I can't figure out what is causing it. The rotor and caliper look fine. Anyone know what else it might be? Like I said it only does it when I step on the brakes to slow down or come to a stop. Help please. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-19-2002, 03:54 PM

Sounds amazingly like a bent axle to me. Pull the wheel off and check the runout on the axle.

Dwayne
post #5 of 6 Old 04-19-2002, 05:51 PM

Hey, where in SW VA are you?? I live in Bristol, but my mom and dad live in Lee county.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-19-2002, 10:51 PM

To tell if you have a limited slip, get under the car and look for a small metal tag on one of the bolts on the diff cover (it may be hard to see it, dirty, etc). It will have a couple of sets of letters/numbers on it, one of which is the axle ratio. If you see 3L27 it means you have a 3.27 with limited slip. 2L73 = 2.73 w/ limited slip, etc. If you have no L (not sure what would be in place of it) you probably don't have limited slip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement