SILVER cars, please come in... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
SILVER cars, please come in...

hey, silver car owners...here's what i've been noticing:
i got silver because it's low maintenance...it takes a lot of dirt to look really bad. however, i can spend like 2-3 hours washing/claybar/waxing the POS and it doesn't look really really good, either. on a dark car, u clean it and it looks great for a while. what are you all doing to make the silver stand out more...or is it possible...
gino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 01:20 AM

Zaino

post #3 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 01:39 AM

One word: Zaino

However, silver and white are the two colors that never look as "hot" as other colors when it comes to waxing and such. Just because of their color that is low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 01:41 AM

I just clay mine when needed, wax it every couple months, and try to keep it clean.

98GT
post #5 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 02:12 AM

Ditto, Zaino.

post #6 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

where can you get zaino? any auto parts store?
gino
post #7 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 11:13 AM
BMS

I use the Meguiar's Gold Class paste wax. Nice stuff and it smells good too Silver or white will never look as deep as a dark color because there isn't much for the light to reflect off of to create the depth. However, the metallic part of the silver on my car adds a suprising amount of depth to it. Try paint matching it though or blending it after an accident. My body shop said metallic silvers and greys were the hardest matches to get. Like you said, the fact you can get more dirt on it between washes is the bonus.

That gold class gets the paint very slick and maintains a nice shine and beading. Looks even better with a couple of coats on though it is a lot of work and I only do it about 2 times a year.

I just haven't ordered up the zaino yet but I plan to.

- Brian
- 1998 Silver GT - Stage 1 ported PI head swap, bassani mid-length headers, bassani catted x-pipe, magnaflow muffs, chip tuned.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 12:18 PM

Meguiar's

I use the Meguiar's products just because you can get it anywhere. Here is a pic of my car after polishing before wax.
Not the best lighting to show off the shine but everyone has been telling me how good it looks.

Modular Depot
4VNA NMRA P/S 5118
First Modular in the 10's
[email protected]
post #9 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 12:22 PM

You always got to take the good with the bad. When I wash and wax my wife's black Camaro, it looks absolutely stunning. Nothing like it. But if it is even slightly dusty, it just looks so ho-hum.
My Silver Mustang could look great, even if several weeks of road dust have accumulated, but when I wash and wax it, it's almost hard to tell where I've finished waxing. We just don't get that depth. I still love silver stangs, though!

Here's my car after a coat of Meguiars Polish and Wax. I'm going with Zaino soon, but want to use up my Meguiars supply first.

SamP- BSME -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~1998 GT~
SALEEN Ground Effects, Cobra R wheels (17x10.5 rear, 17x8 front), MAC OR H-Pipe, FMS C Springs
"You tried, and you failed miserably. The moral of the story - never try."
post #10 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 12:24 PM

Dude, Ken, I love those BBS wheels! Mind if I ask how much they cost?

SamP- BSME -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~1998 GT~
SALEEN Ground Effects, Cobra R wheels (17x10.5 rear, 17x8 front), MAC OR H-Pipe, FMS C Springs
post #11 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 12:27 PM

BBS

I got lucky and found them on ebay with the tires. I paid $1300!!!
On tirerack.com the same setup is something like $1400 just for the wheels. There was one scratch on one wheel but I saved close to $1000 so I can live with it.

Ken

Modular Depot
4VNA NMRA P/S 5118
[email protected]
post #12 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 12:30 PM

Holy crap, you got an awesome deal! Man, some people get all the luck! I would love to have those wheels on my car.

SamP- BSME -

~1998 GT~
post #13 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 02:09 PM
BMS

Yeay, some people pick up sweet deals on ebay like the guy who outbid me by $5 this morning and picked up a set of brembo 2K Mustang R calipers for $360.

Anywho, gulfcoast, I'm jealous. I just dropped my car off to be repainted (collision repair not done correctly so they are re-doing it) and they are putting on a cobra nose for me. I wanted the saleen kit though. I mean, really wanted it. Looks nice. You can check mine out on www.crackerjames.com (don't ask about this guy that does the site. Wacky) and look under rides. The guy that rents from me is greg with the sweet 2001. I'm the silver '98.

Nice pics guys. I love the silver ones just becuase they aren't so common but they also just look sharp.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 02:16 PM

I love my silver GT. After I wash and wax it, I park it in the driveway because the metallic glows in the sun.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 02:24 PM

But you're faster than greg, hahaha

I love the Saleen kit. Cost a ton, but definitely sets the car apart.

SamP- BSME -

~1998 GT~
post #16 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 02:33 PM

I know what you mean about the "not so deep color" feeling. My next Stang will definately be the True Blue color, but i have to admit i LOVE my silver stang!
post #17 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 03:35 PM
BMS

Yeah, Greg's 'vert is an automatic to boot so it's not quite as quick as mine with the 5-speed, headswap and my exhaust mods.

His true blue color is awesome with the taupe 'vert top. The dark grey thrust wheels thrown in just make a very sharp package. He's looking at a shaker hood scoop and a tonneau cover right now.

The guy in our circle not on there is the one I've got a pending grudge-match drag race scheduled who drives a lexus GS300 with the 300hp V8 and the nicest automatic I've ever felt. That's one damn fast car and you can't feel it shift when he's got it floored, just the sound of the engine changing speeds.
post #18 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 04:32 PM

Re: SILVER cars, please come in...

Quote:
Originally posted by killerpony
hey, silver car owners...here's what i've been noticing:
i got silver because it's low maintenance...it takes a lot of dirt to look really bad. however, i can spend like 2-3 hours washing/claybar/waxing the POS and it doesn't look really really good, either. on a dark car, u clean it and it looks great for a while. what are you all doing to make the silver stand out more...or is it possible...
gino
I wash with care and TLC using Mother's car wash soap. No wax. Looks awesome. This soap is the yellow stuff that smells like bubble gum.

Now all I need is to do something about the rear fenders, which stick out from the body (open wheeled car) and collect rock chips like nobody's business. The sticky competition rubber only makes the problem worse.

1999 Panoz Roadster; autox prepped with various bolt-ons and weight reduction
[We're moving out of state and the Panoz is currently FOR SALE]
post #19 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 04:35 PM

wax

Believe it or not, a good wax will help with the rock chips. Not all of them but most.

Ken

Modular Depot
4VNA NMRA P/S 5118
[email protected]
post #20 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 05:25 PM

Word to all: Make sure your wax has good UV protection. The clear urethane on factory paint jobs is laid over top a melamine-based color coat. So, even though uerthane is pretty tough, the color underneath can fade, like a living room sofa near a window that gets some sun. some UV will get through to the color. So get some good UV protection.

I've been using Meguiar's but I finish off with 2001 Turtle wax for the UV protection. We should look around and see who can claim the best UV performance.

If any color can oxidize, it will sure be silver metallic,that and red or gold, so word to the wise...........

One more thing, the PhD chemist with about 30 years of experience says down in La or TX, wax every month. the UV protection fades before the water stops beading..........
post #21 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 05:41 PM

To all the people that said something about wax....... WAX = CRAP, almost imediately after you wassh your car after waxing 80% is gone, plus every time you put another so called coat of wax on it takes the other layers off. There is only one product that I will "pimp" and it is Zaino. Nothing will ever come close to this product, but you will have to experience it in real life before you'll believe me.

www.zainobros.com

Jonathan
post #22 of 22 Old 04-18-2002, 08:13 PM

Silver is tough to get the "deep" look, like colors. That's because you are primarily laying on metal for the color coat. This last paint job I used larger than normal "flakes" and about 9 coats of clear to *try* to get depth.

Came out better than before, but still not equal to a black or dark blue. You just gotta love silver!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement