Spring recommendations for '98 Cobra - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-17-2002, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Spring recommendations for '98 Cobra

I've got a '98 Cobra and would like to improve the cornering ability and overall handling. I'm still concerned with the street-ability of the car and am not looking for a harsh ride. I just want to lower it slightly and reduce the nose dive. I've been researching progressive rate springs and it appears that this is the way to go. I appreciate any recommends on brand names and model numbers.

Thanks,
Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-17-2002, 11:46 PM

Sounds like you are after the H&R sport springs. They are arguably the best springs on the market. The sport springs are ~35% stiffer than stock. This might sound like it's stiff but it isn't. I believe it is also a progressive rate spring. Check them out at www.tirerack.com

post #3 of 6 Old 04-18-2002, 01:10 AM

I agree with esnades. The H&R springs are the way to go. I'm somewhat biased.

I use the Super Race in the rear.
A bit stiffer but still very usable on the street.
Consider adding subframes as a minimum along with the springs. Makes on heck of a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-18-2002, 01:44 AM

Well I had Eibach linear rate handling springs on my car, and they worked extremely well. The car was lowered by 1.5 inches with them, and it handled great, little or no body lean whatsoever, it was as stiff as a board. It was noticeably stiffer over bumps and such, but not to the point I thought it was rough or uncomfortable. They were no good for weight transfer at the dragstrip, so I changed them out.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-18-2002, 02:50 AM

My personal preference leans toward the Steeda Sport's. They lower the least amount, about an inch, which is enough for me without being too much. I still had trouble in some places with the exhaust dragging, but nothing like what I would have had with a 1.5" lowering. And the change in handling is night and day.

Just MHO.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-18-2002, 08:31 AM

Thumbs up I put Bullitt suspension on my '98 Cobra

And I am very pleased! I had the same concerns as you before as well. I may experiment with some Bilstein shocks/struts later to fine-tune some of the lost ride quality(I also added 18" wheels). I can email you some pics if you like.

Good luck!

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement