GT Cooling problems. Please help. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-17-2002, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
GT Cooling problems. Please help.

it seems as every since i got my cracked intake fixed my cooling hasn't been right. They did add new fluid to it but I don't know if the system was flushed or not. It usually sits about halfway up and stays there no matter how hard I drive but now its up to about A sometimes touching L.

I know, the fan is kicking on. Is there a quick way to test the thermostat and see if it was working. I heard that if it wasn't the upper radiator hose would be full and you couldn't really squeeze it, is this true?

Also as it was running hot I parked the car and left it running and saw that the overflow tank was still full, is this normal(never really paid attention)??? Also, my car has just over 100,000 miles on it, I bought a new waterpump for it, but I was trying to wait for the headswap. should I go ahead and put it on, or is this just masking the problem? How can you tell if the water pump is doing it's thing on a 4.6? Thanks

I'm Such a F**king Dick!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-17-2002, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

nevermind. I figured it out I think. The new water pump is making it run cooler but it is still about between r and m sometimes.

I'm Such a F**king Dick!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-18-2002, 09:27 AM
Corral Elite Member

Ray's 88 GT:

You've probably done it but you have to let the air bleed out of the system by sliding the heater hose off and letting air and coolant ooze out until just coolant comes out. An air bubble can foul up things pretty well.

FWIW, my overflow bottle does not seem to change volume much, maybe 1/4 to 3/8" between cold and hot. And my gauge almost always stays between "o" and "r". If I'm stuck in traffic, it creeps up to the right side of "r" but that's it.

I'm glad to hear the pump helped out.

2012 GT 6MT - RTR #59; performance white / charcoal interior
3.73's, AED tune, MGW Race Spec shifter, Airaid MFT, BMR rear LCAs & relo brackets, Panhard rod & brace, FRPP swaybars, MRT a/c H-pipe, LP OTAs, FR GT500 Touring axlebacks, FRPP diff cover, JLT PCV p/s catchcan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement