99+ Tach Install -- Help Needed!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-17-2002, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
99+ Tach Install -- Help Needed!!

I have ordered the Auto Meter tach adapter (part #9117) that is needed to install an after market tach on 99 and newer mustangs. Although I have not recived it yet, I am still looking into the ins and outs of the install. I downloaded the intsall instructions. They are not very detailed.

All I need to help is a mustang ignition schematic for a 99+. Anyone know where I could get it? Or can someone tell me EXACTLY where one of the positive coil wires is running from the coil harness. Telling me through discription would mean very detailed instructions, starting with where the coil harness is.

Thanks to all that can help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-17-2002, 05:12 PM

You need an adapter from PHP or that other place that does it. I dont think autometer makes one. The coil on plug is different than the 98 earlier stuff.

Larry

98 BMW M3
01 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (blue)
91 Black Mustang GT
post #3 of 7 Old 04-17-2002, 06:55 PM

www.ponyexpressperformance.com

That says it all.
~Darren

MR MCF
The Millennium Horse:

2000 DaSilva Prepped Vortech'd GT
366rwhp --- 363rwtq

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-17-2002, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I wasn't clear. This seems to be reoccurring problem with other places i've asked for help. First, Auto Meter does make one. Its new. Does the same (supposively) as the other adapters out. Since its from Auto Meter and my tach is Auto Meter I figuered thats who I would go with. Mine is on the way. I need to know where to tap into the positive coil wire. Or, if no one can tell me that, then where can I get a schematic for 99+ ignitions, so I can find it myself. I was hopeing that someone who had already used an adapter could help. The directions off Auto Meters web site are not detailed enough for me.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-17-2002, 09:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
huh? tack adapter on coil on plug harness on a 01? Dont you have to hook it up to the PCM bank 85 for the CMP sensor, dark blue/orange wire?

Doug Johnson

* 99 GT NMRA CS
post #6 of 7 Old 04-17-2002, 09:42 PM

DarkPnyVA, the autometer tach adapter has not yet hit the market. Last I heard it is not due to ship until May. Are you wanting to hook into the coil wire from inside the engine bay, or inside the car? You can see the wires going to the COP in the engine compartment. I don't have the schematics for the PCM on hand, but if I get a chance I might be able to email it to you.

If you want one now, you can get one from pony express performance.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-18-2002, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

I am going to have to do it in the engine bay. this is a quote from another forum i posted the question under.

"The autometer and PEP tach adapter use different technology. If you try to hook up your Autometer adapter the same way as the PEP adapter, it won't work correctly. The PEP adapter uses a signal from the crank trigger sensor as an input, the autometer adapter appears to get a signal from the coil.

Be patient and let us know how the install goes once you get the part in hand. In the meantime, dig up a PCM pinout chart and do some research."

So I guess I go to a coil wire in the bay....already found out where i can do that. I think I got this problem licked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement