2001GT gear install ?'s - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-17-2002, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
TMC

Trader Feedback: (0)
2001GT gear install ?'s

Alright guys. I need to know what must be done to correct the speedo, trans, and any other problem areas when you change a gear in a 2001 GT. My Brother-in-Law (Carlos) has a 2001 GT with an automatic trans and is putting in a 3.73 but needs to know what else must be done to go along with it.

Is there a definite need for a chip to correct the problems? Will there be any problems? Does anyone know of any problems with this swap other than the shift points and or speedo correction? What are the related costs outside of the gear and gear install (i.e. chip price…).

Carlos is very new to Mustangs and I do not want his first mod to be a bad experience so I would like to gather as many facts as possible.

Thanks guys

1995 GT
GT-40 iron heads, Cobra intake, Stock cam, BFG DR's
11 sec timeslips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-17-2002, 06:10 PM

First of all, I'd highly recommend going with 4.10's instead of 3.73's....i debated long and hard, and went with the 4.10's and have never looked back, it feels like a whole different car.

Second, he's going to need a chip to correct his speedometer, and correct the shift points of the auto tranny due to the new rear end gear ratio...I would recommend getting a dyno tune and have them burn a custom chip for you, however, if no tuner is available in your area check out www.teamjdm.com
JDM Engineering, I am running one of their aggressive programs on my 01 auto, and absolutely love it...the chip was $297 US and was delivered to my door in less than 24 hours after I placed my initial phone call to them...I highly recommend them.

Now, as for problems, the only problem that I've had is that I cant seem to keep my foot off of the gas since I installed the gears and chip.....

Good luck to ya,
JB

post #3 of 3 Old 04-18-2002, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
TMC

Thanks for the info. I will be looking into a JDM chip for him.

As for the 3.73's, they are what he is definately going with. I would like more myself but since I am giving him the gears free of charge and I have an extra 3.73 he will just have to live with them.

Thanks again.

1995 GT
GT-40 iron heads, Cobra intake, Stock cam, BFG DR's
11 sec timeslips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement