Dallas Mustang Speed Cal fixed my Cruise Control --->> - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-17-2002, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (3)
Dallas Mustang Speed Cal fixed my Cruise Control --->>

For those that remember/care about my 99 Cobra TKO install, one of the install issues was making the speedometer work correctly. This was actually fixed fairly easily by connecting the stock speedo connector to the cruise control output of a pre-99 VSS (connections mesh perfectly). That, in conjunction with the correct settings in my Abbott ERA, made my speedo read correctly. Though not included in the directions that accompany it, the ERA has the ability to make the speedo read correctly, and does not require two units as SHM and some others had said.

The only problem was my cruise control. It would 'hunt' and 'surge' quite a bit. Not a major problem, but certainly annoying. TriBlkCobra (Willie) suggested that their Speed Cal might solve this. He gave me a technical reason, but to be perfectly honest, I forgot what it was. Anyways, Willie sent me a unit about 2 weeks ago, and I finally got around to installing it last night.

Short story: Problem solved. No more hunting and surging. Additionally, I really liked the install, as there was no cutting and splicing involved. Very clean, and I'm quite happy with it.

I need to restate that this is likely on an issue for those folks with 99 and up Mustangs that install a TKO or 3550. The Abbott worked fine with the T45. However, if you are upgrading the tranny, I'd highly recommend the Dallas Speed Cal vice the Abbott.

Bob Cosby, USN (Retired)

2010 Corvette
2005 Harley FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-17-2002, 01:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I also had the hunting/surging with the Cruise Control after the speed cal install on my Cobra with 4.30's. Willie's solution fixed my problem also.

post #3 of 12 Old 04-17-2002, 02:35 PM

So what is the fix if you already have a Dallas Speedcal and it's surging? I just happen to fit in that catagory.

Bob: Glad to see I actually bought one item right the first time and don't have to replace it with something better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-17-2002, 03:36 PM

Jeff, we're in the process of updating the remaining stock of the SpeedCal's now. Should have the parts in by the end of the week and the manufacturer is going to have the updated SpeedCals to us by the end of next week. So if you call mid to late next week and tell them the problem they should be able to send you an updated unit. If you have any problems drop me an email or PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-17-2002, 04:22 PM

hey bob, i thought that the 99+ stangs have electric gauges, thus making it possible for a chip, such as yours, to correct the speedo for your rear gears? then there would be no need for a speedcal.

96 Mystic Cobra
Born on 2/23/96
Cobra #4722 of 7496
Mystic #553 of 2000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-17-2002, 04:33 PM

I'm so appreciative of TriBlk coming on here to help solve a problem most everyone has, I don't mind a little publicity for Dallas Mustang (see their banner ads).

On my 98 with the older style speedometer (before 99), I was getting surging with 4.10's and 23 tooth speedo gear. Not bad, but there nonetheless.

I installed the SpeedCal with the Ford 21 tooth (normally used for 3.73 on Cobra) per a recommendation by Rick Evans and blessed by TriBlk, instead of the stock 19 tooth, and my surgining completely went away. I can' t explain why it worked, and maybe it would have worked with the 19 tooth. But it worked, and my cruise now works like stock with 3.27's. If you want to study on the menu for coming up with the dip switch settings for various combinations go here. http://www.dallasmustang.com/speedcal.htm

Ralph Greene
post #7 of 12 Old 04-17-2002, 05:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (37)
Ralph, if u changed to a 3.73 speedo tooth then how did u calibrate it when the instructions on the speed cal all start from the factory 3.27 gearing? I have 4.56's and I too surge but the instructions(codes) go from 3.27 to 4.56, 4.10, 5.13, etc.

Bob- The speed cal from DM is interchangable from t45 to tko? I'm gonna upgrade to a tko but don't want to buy another speed cal. Glad your prob is solved. One more question, was the installation of the tko pretty easy and fit properly? Thanks. -Mark

98 red cobra (N/A 5.4)
[email protected] (1.59 60')
post #8 of 12 Old 04-17-2002, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (3)
mysticcobradude...you are correct. However, the TKO does not have the pickup for the speedo. As such, you have to use a VSS from a pre-99 car to make it work.

Mark...most definately interchangeable. For more info on my TKO install see this THREAD.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-17-2002, 06:07 PM

Fixed mine and is working great now!

Jim

STLMustangs.com(Administrator)
post #10 of 12 Old 04-18-2002, 08:09 AM

Bitemark...I used the chart for setting the SpeedCal from the DM web site. Just put in the stock settings on the left, and on the right I just put in 4.10's, 21 teeth, tire size, and the chart told me the dip settings to use. http://www.dallasmustang.com/speedcal.htm

Ralph Greene

Last edited by Ralph Greene; 04-18-2002 at 09:11 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-18-2002, 12:40 PM

Question

TriBlkCobra----so in other words if we have one of the older surging speedcal's and we call DM they will exchange the old one for the new ones??
post #12 of 12 Old 04-18-2002, 01:23 PM

Thats the intent Jason, give it a week or so to make sure we get the stock updated. If you cant get any resolution give me an email or PM.

Also, everybody... If your SpeedCal is working there is no need to worry about this update! It wont buy you any enhancements in functionality. Only if you are having problems do you need to worry about this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement