Installing Aeromotive fuel system... 96 tank IS the same as 83-95 tank. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-17-2002, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Cool Installing Aeromotive fuel system... 96 tank IS the same as 83-95 tank.

I ordered the complete Aeromotive fuel system for '83-'95 5.0 liter Ford Mustangs to install on my 96 Cobra.

I mainly wanted all the hoses and fittings and such in one package, I figured I'd sell any any parts I don't use, like the 5.0 fuel rails.

The Aeromotive people said I could use the supplied fuel tank with my 96 Cobra if I used a pre-96 pickup and filler and sending units.

I didn't want to mess with that, so I ordered a replacement tank for my 96 from a Ford deal for $180, which I planned on sumping similiar to the Aeromotive one (I can weld and cut sheet metal) and then selling the Aeromotive tank.

I haven't pulled off my 96 tank yet off the car, but comparing the new 96 tank I bought and the Aeromotive pre-95 tank, they look identical to me!! Even the folds in the metal where they bent it around the corners are identical.

So it looks like I can use the Aeromotive sumped tank directly with no modifications on my 96, but it seems odd that Aeromotive wouldn't know this.

The only thing I can think of is that the '98 pickup and pump canister are different and the Aeromotive guys thought the '96 was also.

Thoughts? Has anyone replaced their 96 or 97 tank with the Aeromotive sumped tank?

John Slagel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Forged internals,intercooled Novi [email protected],523 rwhp, best time [email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- pretty much stock

- My Kenne-Bell site/forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-17-2002, 11:22 AM

Talking Re: Installing Aeromotive fuel system... 96 tank IS the same as 83-95 tank.

Quote:
Originally posted by jslagel
I ordered the complete Aeromotive fuel system for '83-'95 5.0 liter Ford Mustangs to install on my 96 Cobra.

I mainly wanted all the hoses and fittings and such in one package, I figured I'd sell any any parts I don't use, like the 5.0 fuel rails.

The Aeromotive people said I could use the supplied fuel tank with my 96 Cobra if I used a pre-96 pickup and filler and sending units.

I didn't want to mess with that, so I ordered a replacement tank for my 96 from a Ford deal for $180, which I planned on sumping similiar to the Aeromotive one (I can weld and cut sheet metal) and then selling the Aeromotive tank.

I haven't pulled off my 96 tank yet off the car, but comparing the new 96 tank I bought and the Aeromotive pre-95 tank, they look identical to me!! Even the folds in the metal where they bent it around the corners are identical.

So it looks like I can use the Aeromotive sumped tank directly with no modifications on my 96, but it seems odd that Aeromotive wouldn't know this.

The only thing I can think of is that the '98 pickup and pump canister are different and the Aeromotive guys thought the '96 was also.

Thoughts? Has anyone replaced their 96 or 97 tank with the Aeromotive sumped tank?

Its the SAME tank, but you lose all the evaporative emissions stuff if you go with the Aeromotive one, its a PITA to put it all back when you switch tanks...If you just sump the stock tank, you keep that stuff....You are right though, the only thing you would need to use with the Aeromotive tank, is YOUR sending unit, and ditch the whole in tank canister idea any way, as you run a Big External Inline Pump with a big fuel system like that any way....The filler neck is a little different too, but you would just have to buy that new from Ford....I would have thought that the Aeromotive clowns would have figured this out by now, did this over a year ago....Good luck with it

Jeff

post #3 of 5 Old 04-17-2002, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Installing Aeromotive fuel system... 96 tank IS the same as 83-95 tank.

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackCobra99Va
Its the SAME tank, but you lose all the evaporative emissions stuff if you go with the Aeromotive one, its a PITA to put it all back when you switch tanks...If you just sump the stock tank, you keep that stuff....
Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

Just to clear it up then... I don't get how I loose all the evaporative emissions stuff... is that from using the Aeromotive return line cap thingy that replaces the stock pump assembly?

Because if the tank is the same (except a sump welded on one) there's no reason the you would loose anything by just replacing the tank, right?

If it is just that assembly, what if I just welded a -6 fitting on top of the tank for the return line and left the stock pump assembly in the tank (and disconnected power to the pump)?

PS: I called a Ford parts desk and 94-97 replacement tanks are the exact same part number. Pre-94 is a different one. Odd that Aeromotive claims to fit up to 95 only.

John Slagel

- Forged internals,intercooled Novi [email protected],523 rwhp, best time [email protected]

- pretty much stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-17-2002, 12:50 PM

Talking Re: Re: Re: Installing Aeromotive fuel system... 96 tank IS the same as 83-95 tank.

Quote:
Originally posted by jslagel

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

Just to clear it up then... I don't get how I loose all the evaporative emissions stuff... is that from using the Aeromotive return line cap thingy that replaces the stock pump assembly?

Because if the tank is the same (except a sump welded on one) there's no reason the you would loose anything by just replacing the tank, right?

If it is just that assembly, what if I just welded a -6 fitting on top of the tank for the return line and left the stock pump assembly in the tank (and disconnected power to the pump)?

PS: I called a Ford parts desk and 94-97 replacement tanks are the exact same part number. Pre-94 is a different one. Odd that Aeromotive claims to fit up to 95 only.
I don't think Aeromotive understands how it fits or works, funny huh!!! LOL.....Any way, you are technically right, with that evaporative emissions stuff, you can keep it with the new tank, but its a PITA to reinstall it and run it along the tank....all of those hoses run along the tank and are attached, thats what I meant, sorry

Also, yes, you can weld a return fitting to the top of the tank for the return line, but the aeromotive one is actually nice...Yes, you can also leave the whole intank setup technically in the tank, and just disconnect the power line to it....I'm not sure though if the sending unit will read off of this, have to check....Hope this helps

Jeff
post #5 of 5 Old 04-17-2002, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Re: Re: Installing Aeromotive fuel system... 96 tank IS the same as 83-95 tank.

Gotcha!

Thanks again

John Slagel

- pretty much stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement