D&D Motorsports K-Member... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-17-2002, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
D&D Motorsports K-Member...

Im am thinking of buying this one but have a few questions.
Car:96 Mustang GT 4.6L (2000 Mustang GT engine)

1. Will I be able to install Longtube headers without lifting the engine after the K-Member is in or should I get the Longtubes installed while the K-Member is off?

2. Do I have to buy the D&D A-Arms if I get the K-Member or can I keep the stock A-Arms?

3. What about my stock struts will they work with the coil over kit or does the coil over kit come with some stuts/shocks already?

4. Do I need to mention I hav a 2000 GT motor and not the stock motor when ordering or are the motor mounts in the same exact location on both?

Someone please help me out with these questions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-17-2002, 03:11 AM

Re: D&D Motorsports K-Member...

Quote:
Originally posted by 4.6GT
Im am thinking of buying this one but have a few questions.
Car:96 Mustang GT 4.6L (2000 Mustang GT engine)

1. Will I be able to install Longtube headers without lifting the engine after the K-Member is in or should I get the Longtubes installed while the K-Member is off?

I used shorty headers. You can get them on without a problem so I am assuming the longtubes should be similiar if not easier. However, I'm only guessing, I've never done it. JBA shorties took 6 hours at 3 tries to get them right.

2. Do I have to buy the D&D A-Arms if I get the K-Member or can I keep the stock A-Arms?

Call them and ask but I think you need them for the coil-over setup.

3. What about my stock struts will they work with the coil over kit or does the coil over kit come with some stuts/shocks already?

Again, I don't know. However, since you are changing to heavier springs anyway, you are going to want adjustable shocks. The Tokicos work well although Koni and Hal work too, just more expensive. I run the sport springs and use them with all driving from street to road track to Silver State at 165mph. Heavier springs may not be worth the abuse for street driving. However, the Tokicos allow some adjustments that compensate a little for the springs.

4. Do I need to mention I hav a 2000 GT motor and not the stock motor when ordering or are the motor mounts in the same exact location on both?

They are the same. Not an issue.

Someone please help me out with these questions.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-17-2002, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

All I really want to do is to be able to go to the strip about twice a month and drive to work and back everyday. Im not really that crazy about road racing though.

D&D's K-Member is supposed to be the lightest by itself thats why I am thinking about getting it. Although AJE is another I might consider also. Its just a little more expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-17-2002, 07:32 AM

The D&D kit is light, but not the lightest. AJE is by far the lightest kit out there.

The D&D kit does not allow you to run stock A-Arms, so you must get the entire kit.

The D&D Coil-over kit is great. You can use the stock Struts, but while everything is off, you might as well replace them also. I used Tokico Drag Struts, and they are great daily drivers, and track performers.

The motor mount locations are the same for the 96-02, so you do not have to worry about bolt locations.

I believe you can still get the entire D&D Tubular K, A-arms, and Coil-over kit from www.jdsperformance.com for cheaper than anyone else will have it. It was $599.00 for the whole kit when I purchased it.

Good luck, and if you need install notes, let me know, I have a detailed installation sheet from my experience, because the instructions that come with the kit suck big balls.

joe

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #5 of 11 Old 04-17-2002, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information joe, Ill probably get the D&D kit anyways because its a lot cheaper than the AJE one.

D&D Motorsports Suspension Kit
Kit includes K-Member, A-Arms, and Coil Over Kit.
Retail Price $797.00.
Item: DND9601KIT
Price:$649.00
Quantity:
Select A-Arms a without sway bar hook up b with sway bar hook up Select Coil Over a Road race b Street c Drag Race

Is that the kit you got?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-17-2002, 02:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Quote:
Originally posted by RavenGT
The D&D kit is light, but not the lightest. AJE is by far the lightest kit out there.

The D&D kit does not allow you to run stock A-Arms, so you must get the entire kit.

The D&D Coil-over kit is great. You can use the stock Struts, but while everything is off, you might as well replace them also. I used Tokico Drag Struts, and they are great daily drivers, and track performers.

The motor mount locations are the same for the 96-02, so you do not have to worry about bolt locations.

I believe you can still get the entire D&D Tubular K, A-arms, and Coil-over kit from www.jdsperformance.com for cheaper than anyone else will have it. It was $599.00 for the whole kit when I purchased it.

Good luck, and if you need install notes, let me know, I have a detailed installation sheet from my experience, because the instructions that come with the kit suck big balls.

joe
Joe, you happen to remember what the torque specs were for the "K"? I don't have a book handy and want to get this sucker torque'd down to proper specs...... thanks.

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Part-Owner,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - [email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
post #7 of 11 Old 04-17-2002, 04:03 PM

Tim, I did 90 ft. lb on the k-member bolts. Check them 2 weeks later, and they were still the same.

4.6GT, yes that is the kit. You can decide on the specs for the spring rate and swaybar mounts.

I went with the 14" 200# springs, just to stay safe on the street also. They transfer real well at the track, and they don't bottom-out on the street.

joe

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #8 of 11 Old 04-17-2002, 05:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Quote:
Originally posted by RavenGT
Tim, I did 90 ft. lb on the k-member bolts. Check them 2 weeks later, and they were still the same.

4.6GT, yes that is the kit. You can decide on the specs for the spring rate and swaybar mounts.

I went with the 14" 200# springs, just to stay safe on the street also. They transfer real well at the track, and they don't bottom-out on the street.

joe
Thanks Joe!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 11 Old 04-17-2002, 05:54 PM

I keep reading post about the D&D need extra bolts and nuts.....Do you guys know anything about this???

Thank you
98toplesscobra
post #10 of 11 Old 04-17-2002, 06:45 PM

Yes you need two 1/2"-20 about 1"- 1.5" long bolts to bolt steering rack onto K-member. Same size and thread as your wheel studs. Make sure to check that threads on k-member are clean. Mine had a few spots of welding slag.

Ed...
2004 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi, 8" lift 35's
1984 Mustang GT350 Vert - 351w side project
2004 Mustang GT Comp. Orange/5speed Best 1/4 [email protected], 1/8 [email protected], 1.57 60' - Best 60' 1.51, just a NA 2v

Last edited by Ares; 04-17-2002 at 06:47 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-17-2002, 07:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I just purchased the UPR kit. That thing is light. K-member only weighs 22.8 lbs. But I will never deal with them again. Bad customer service. Been waitin on my kit for 2 months. Maybe I'm the only one. Anyways. Is there anythign special to installing the K? I read somewhere, something about having to use a plumb bob and all kinds of funky angles. Anyone?

'11 GT
'87 Turbo Coupe
'94 F-150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement