I have a Z28 and am considering going the Ford route! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 04-16-2002, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
I have a Z28 and am considering going the Ford route!

I really like the Mustang and had a 96 v6 and loved it. I have a 97z28 and want to know what is the difference between 99-02 and how is the power compared to the older Z's? Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-16-2002, 08:36 PM

The 99-02 are pretty strong cars and run high 13s stock. A few inexpensive mods puts them above the horsepower levels of the LT1. The main advantage is that the cars themslves are fairly cheap for the amount of power you get. There is resonably good aftermarket support now, with anything from stroker kits to carbon fiber driveshafts avaliable. They also have proven to be fairly reliable, earning a Consumer Guide best buy for a number of years.

post #3 of 32 Old 04-16-2002, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

any difference in the years(performance, interior)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 04-16-2002, 11:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Go with a 99-00. They are suppose to have less compression that the 2001 and up. I dont think there is really much of a difference in any of the interiors.
post #5 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 12:00 AM

dehoass

i see you got your heads pp did you get the car dynoed and can you tell a big difference in power i want to pp my heads also but i was told it was pointless without having cams and my car is an auto so if i get cams i need a stall converter too much troublr i just wanna see if it's worth it your input?
post #6 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 01:13 AM

The interiors of the 2001+'s are a lot better IMHO than the 99-2000. They have a better radio, cup holders that actually hold cups, better location and look of interior switches (foglights, defrost, traction control), and a leather boot on the e-brake. But that's my opinon, it's still a mustang no matter what!
post #7 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 11:36 AM

If you're expecting the Mustang to be significantly different from your Z28, then you will be disappointed. They are very similar cars. I've driven both, and they both accelerate and handle very similarly. Granted, the Z28 has more power, and the Mustang is a little more comfortable, but the differences are definitely slight.

The most dramatic difference going from my wife's 1998 Camaro to my 1998 Mustang is the more upright seating in the Mustang. Her Camaro also definitely has better braking than my Mustang. Quality is about the same. Both have had very few problems.

SamP- BSME -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~1998 GT~
SALEEN Ground Effects, Cobra R wheels (17x10.5 rear, 17x8 front), MAC OR H-Pipe, FMS C Springs
"You tried, and you failed miserably. The moral of the story - never try."
post #8 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 11:43 AM

I just ran a 96 Z28 last night at the track. I beat him by 3 car lengths. Hope this helps your search. Oh the race before that was against an 01 Cobra. He beat me by about 3 cars.

Eric

'97 Rio Red Cobra
K&N air filter
Air silencer Trimmed
4.30 gears
Bassani O/R X pipe
Magnaflow Cat back
NX kit 150 shot (in garage)
post #9 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 12:29 PM

Personally, I would take a Z28 over any GT, but the new body style GT's are nice and do look much better than any Z28.. If your looking for a great Stang at a good price, try finding a 98 Cobra, you will not be disapointed. Although if you were happy with your 96 V6 Stang, you would probably be happy with anything...DA Snake Boy!!!

Last edited by duane v; 04-17-2002 at 12:34 PM.
post #10 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 01:07 PM

the only difference in the interior is i believe in 01, they wen to the one piece stereo, and also in the O1 car you get the hood scoop and the side scoop's. As for power and handling, I have a friend with a 97 WS6 with the LT1 in it. My car is quicker down the quarter at [email protected], but his traps quite a bit higher at [email protected] We have raced a few times at the track and it's about the same. I believe that just like the LT1 the 99-02 GT is a few bolt-on's away from a 13 sec. quarter, or just a set of sticky tires. The thing that I really like about the GT's over the LT1 cars is the ability to work on them, and how well they take to blower's. I guess it comes down to personal preference. If you want a faster car, then look at a cobra. the 98, 99, or 01. Although there are some people that question the 99 because of the power recall. The 01 cobra's seem to be going 13.50's at the track on a regular basis.

2002 GT Mustang -sold-
5 speed
post #11 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 04:10 PM

I'd only go to chev if they had better seats, moved the engine forward by about a foot, increased the rake of the windshield, and got rid of the bowtie and put a blue oval on there.
post #12 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 06:03 PM

Camaro/Mustang

Up front-I'm a Mustang guy. Their both pretty neat cars, the Camaro has a power advantage. The Mustang is a nicer car to live with. I've had a '97 GT 'vert and now own a 2000 GT 'vert. Last year on a trip to Hawaii I rented a Camaro 'vert. I drove it from the airport to my hotel, turned around and drove back just to trade it for a Mustang. The visibility in the Camaro was awful, a tiny rear window, you couldn't tell where the front or rear of the car was. The back seat was a joke, the trunk was stupidly small. The Camaro drove well, but we couldn't even get ONE average size suitcase in it. The trunk on the Mustang is pretty darn nice sized--especially for a 'vert. Just my opinion.

2006 Premium GT Convertible
Screaming Yellow, Black Top
Black Leather
18" "Fanblade Wheels"
Interior Upgrade Pkg.
Side Airbags
Soft Boot
Shaker 500 Audio System
5 Speed
CORSA Performance exhaust
post #13 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 08:11 PM

My brother owns a '97WS6. On the dyno, stock for stock, he made about 10 more hp, but I've got a weight advantage. He traps at 97-98, me well, you can see below.

IMO, the mustang has a more refined interior, easier to view cars in my blindspot, more back seat space, bigger trunk, and doesn't have GM squeek.

John Dimitropoulos
http://www.johndimo.com
post #14 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 08:21 PM

?

Stock 2002 GT will hang with a Stock 97 Camaro.

Both cars can be built to go faster than the other.

It's more a choice of taste than performance.

post #15 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 08:24 PM

hi john

GM squeek?
It's a good thing.
It goes well with the GM fuel pump whine,

really, it does!!!

You are cool John
post #16 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 01:18 AM

Scott, John... It's bad enough that we argue this topic all night over coffe, but we have to bring it online. I was reading your post john and didn't realize it was you. Scott glad to see you finally joined corral.

Hey, just remember, Ford's squek to... It follows the leaky window seals, the suspension hop, and the terrible braking (fox body comment, more then SN95)

but we don't have to deal with optispark

2002 GT Mustang -sold-
5 speed
post #17 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 01:44 AM

I don't want to sound like an idiot. I know I should know this, but what is and how does opti spark work?
post #18 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 08:51 AM

opti spark

Thats a good question for Americanv8....hes only been through about 4 of them. Also ask him about dealer diagnostics, and how accurate they are!
post #19 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 10:19 AM

Lightbulb Re: Camaro/Mustang

Your 97 Z28 is a dead heat with a 99+ GT...assuming similar mods or stock vs stock. They're just totally different cars with different seating positions. When you've driven one, it takes some time to get used to the other...

Quote:
Originally posted by GOLDENPONY
Last year on a trip to Hawaii I rented a Camaro 'vert. I drove it from the airport to my hotel, turned around and drove back just to trade it for a Mustang. The visibility in the Camaro was awful, a tiny rear window, you couldn't tell where the front or rear of the car was. The back seat was a joke, the trunk was stupidly small. The Camaro drove well, but we couldn't even get ONE average size suitcase in it. The trunk on the Mustang is pretty darn nice sized--especially for a 'vert. Just my opinion.
Why do you NEED to see the front of the car? You get used to it...just like the lower seating position.

The Mustang back seat is a joke too. I'm 6'0" and can't sit in the back of my buddy's 99 GT without leaning over (same with my cousin's 96 Stang)...I can sit in the back of mine (hair bairly touches the roof). The Mustang does have more legroom, just less headroom. I don't see how you can say either is better...

Couldn't get a suitcase in it??? WTF??? Check out cars.com and you'll see that the F-body has more cubic inches of trunk space than the Mustang I've had 3 people and all of our bags and softball equipment for a weekend in my car. I guess all that was smaller than a suitcase I can put my full-size mountain bike in my car too...
post #20 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 12:29 PM

You got a full size Mountain Bike in your Z28?? I tried to, in my wife's 1998 Camaro, but had to tie down the hatch because I couldn't get it closed. Even with the back seats down and the front tire against the front seats. And this was a 26" tire MTB.

But that hatch is super useful. I don't like the "well" space, but when the seats are folded down, you've got one heck of a storage space. Almost as good as my 1990 Mustang GT was. Now that was storage space. I fit a 20,000 BTU air conditioner in ther, in the box, and closed the hatch! haha

SamP- BSME -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~1998 GT~
SALEEN Ground Effects, Cobra R wheels (17x10.5 rear, 17x8 front), MAC OR H-Pipe, FMS C Springs
"You tried, and you failed miserably. The moral of the story - never try."
post #21 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 12:48 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by GulfCoastMustang
You got a full size Mountain Bike in your Z28?? I tried to, in my wife's 1998 Camaro, but had to tie down the hatch because I couldn't get it closed. Even with the back seats down and the front tire against the front seats. And this was a 26" tire MTB.

But that hatch is super useful. I don't like the "well" space, but when the seats are folded down, you've got one heck of a storage space. Almost as good as my 1990 Mustang GT was. Now that was storage space. I fit a 20,000 BTU air conditioner in ther, in the box, and closed the hatch! haha
Yep...used to do it all the time with my Z28. Fold down the seat and throw it in The trick to getting it shut is having the pedals in the right location...
post #22 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 01:17 PM

Post Opti-spark

Yes, Opti-spark is was a bad idea.
I've been through 4 of them within the last 15000 miles
The WATER PUMP(which runs off the timing chain, not belts)
sits DIRECTLY ABOVE IT.
So if your water pump goes bad, your opti is going to go bad
too.
The opti-spark sits directly behind the crank pulley.
It runs by way of gear off the end of the CAM.
It acts as the DISTRIBUTOR because the LT1 supposedly
doesn't have enough room in the engine compartment.
All eight spark plug wires run to it.
The engine timing is 100% controlled by the opti-spark.
You cannot alter timing without reprogramming the computer.
There is a silver disc in the optispark with 360 little cuts in it.
There is a little black infrared reader that reads the disc.
The little reader is made by MITSUBISHI, it even has the three diamonds on it, making this car 1% Japanese.
The computer uses these little cuts to determine when to fire.
In the 92-94 LT1 there was no air suction tube to the optispark,
so when a little water got into the opti, kiss it bye-bye.

In 95 there is a tube running from the opti to the intake, sucking all the water that gets into the opti and sending it into the engine instead (good thing there's not a lot of water)
As for dealers, I think they fired all the old mechanics, cause I brought the car in 5 times to get it to run enough to move.
post #23 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 01:41 PM

this is the most civil camaro v. mustang arguement ever. Usually there are virtual beer bottles flying by this point in time.

2002 GT Mustang -sold-
5 speed
post #24 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 02:31 PM

Lightbulb Re: Opti-spark

Quote:
Originally posted by AmericanV8
Yes, Opti-spark is was a bad idea.
I totally agree...BAD idea...

but I sold my 94 Z28 A4 last October with 131,000 miles (owned since 59k).

It had the original opti, water pump, alternator, etc...EVERYTHING. The only things I replaced were the tranny mount (broke at the drag strip) and an EGR tube that rusted ($10). My aftermarket MSD coil failed also...

That car was solid as a rock and took all the abuse I could give it, but I sold it when I got the "feeling" that problems might be on the horizon...
post #25 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 03:56 PM

I owned a '95 Camaro for 4 years. Makes good power, but it just doesn't feel solid, not like a Mustang. Plus mine was a convertable so it was worse - gave me a long list of gripes: leaks above both doors, rattles, squeaks, wierd driving position, car felt like something was gong to fall off over bumps.

Wasn't all bad though. The engine was pretty solid - although I had to replace the alternator TWICE. I did have a lot of fun in it though. I can't knock it too much, but Mustangs are just more solid IMHO.
post #26 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 06:19 PM

this is the most civil camaro v. mustang arguement ever. Usually there are virtual be

Dont hold your breath.....Kelly.
post #27 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

I just got back from LA and rented a 02 mustang v6 and it was solid and had nice handling! I have had some minor problems with the Z and and don't want anything else to happen. (both power windows, fuel pump, power steering pump) and I only have 59,000 on the car. Seems like they're cheaper to fix also.
post #28 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 08:17 PM

Camaro

The Camaro I was talking about the trunk in was a convertible, I guarantee the convertible trunk is way smaller than my Mustang trunk, and my Mustang is also a convertible.

2006 Premium GT Convertible
Screaming Yellow, Black Top
Black Leather
18" "Fanblade Wheels"
Interior Upgrade Pkg.
Side Airbags
Soft Boot
Shaker 500 Audio System
5 Speed
CORSA Performance exhaust
post #29 of 32 Old 04-19-2002, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by yooknohu
(both power windows, fuel pump, power steering pump) and I only have 59,000 on the car. Seems like they're cheaper to fix also.
I hear you. Forgot to mention in the above post, both power windows on my '95 went out also - extended warranty didn't cover them and the dealer wanted $850 to fix both!
post #30 of 32 Old 04-19-2002, 11:50 AM

Let me tell you - having just sold my 96 Formula and bought an 02 GT - you will initially be very disappointed in the engine category. The stang just doesn't put out nearly the torque at low end that the LT1 does. In the Firebird - I could spin the rears easily in 3rd when it was wet ....that doesn't appear to be an issue in the stang.

However - the Mustang definately comes into the cam nicely around 3400 rpm - wheras the LT1 started to drop off around 4k.

All in all - I think if you know how to drive the mustang - I don't think you'll get beat that bad by an F-bod - you just have to wind it out more.

That said - the Ford is in adifferent league as far a build quality and interior. I like the seating position a lot more - and it's just a lot easier to see out the windows, etc...

I haven't done any mods yet - but I'm thinking about gears to get some low-end back.

In the meantime - if i pull up next to an f-bod at a light - I pretend i don't see him...I'd suggest doing the same.
post #31 of 32 Old 04-19-2002, 01:52 PM

You might want to spend a couple of weeks in a Taurus. I'm just afraid a mustang seat may actually reject an LS1 Butt. Just kidding, man. Mustangs are not that fast out of the box, flame away, they just aren't. However, serious performance is just dollars away. I have a 96 GT vert. The slowest v8 mustang EVER made! However, in about a month, I should be looking at about 500 rwhp.
post #32 of 32 Old 04-19-2002, 02:50 PM
tuc

Quote:
The little reader is made by MITSUBISHI, it even has the three diamonds on it, making this car 1% Japanese.
Its made in Canada, which means its non American made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement