What is going on with my 96 Cobra??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-16-2002, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
What is going on with my 96 Cobra???

Ok, I just drove up to the bank, its about a mile up there. It is about 78 degrees here. My car was just started up today for the first time since last night. I probably didn't get over 40 mph and hit about 6 stoplight going and coming. My car was all the way on M on my temp gauge?? I recently got my car rebulit at True Blue Performance and am suppose to go back on Friday for some more tuning. Should I call them and see why my car got so hot on like a 10 minute trip??? I am suppose to autocross on Sunday for the first time since the reuild and now I am scared to if it is going to get real hot. Also at idle my supercharger whine surges. It also "sticks" at around 1800 after i come to a stop with my foot on the clutch. Randy at True Blue said that he has the "timing locked out" and that is why it idles funny. Has anyone had any experience with this. What the heck

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-16-2002, 03:28 PM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (41)
You have no mention as to if your 96 Cobra still has the factory issued cooling system - OR if you have something aftermarket, OR if your 96 had the Ford TSB/recall/fix issue done to the cooling system.

My guess is this, with the limited info above:

1) you Cobra still has the stock cooling system, which is inadequate

2) your thermostat could be stuck

3) the cooling system may have air pockets in it after the rebuild and those need to be burped out

post back what is done to your cooling system, if anything.

post #3 of 5 Old 04-16-2002, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

It hasn't had the cooling fix. Would that be causing it to idle funny too?

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-17-2002, 02:00 AM

IMO

1. Change the radiator to a Steeda or Fluidyne

2. Change water pump to one from Evans

3. Use water wetter in the system

4. Install 180* thermostat and either a manual switch or auto fan controller set to come on around 165 to 170*. (The motor will still produce enough heat to get to the proper operating range)

5. Get all of the air out of the cooling system. This is a must.

6. for surging idle. With no engine codes. check that egr is fully closed. Pull the vacuum line to the egr valve. There should be no vacuum on the line at idle. If there is change the egr regulator it may be leaking a bit which will open the egr slightly at idle and cause a poor idle.

7. remove IAC and check for carbon buildup inside. Clean and reinstall.

Let us all know what you find.

Good luck

This all assumes that you have a proper tune with the 42 pounders. I've heard of others having idle issues with large injectors.

Last edited by sirhisss; 04-17-2002 at 02:03 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-17-2002, 04:14 AM

Keep the stock water pump. The evans flows to much water. Steeda radiator definately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement