Vortech idler pulley broke...common problem? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-16-2002, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Vortech idler pulley broke...common problem?

It looks like the pulley itself cracked off the bearing. The pulley is now pushed forward to a point where it's stuck. This caused the belt to come loose which left me stuck w/ no power steering, brakes, etc. Had to get towed. Is this a common problem?...what can cause this? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-16-2002, 01:34 PM

Do you have the old "small" idler pully or the new updated one from Vortech which is like 2-3 times bigger. The older ones would go quite often due to their size...they were just spun way to damn fast.

C

post #3 of 10 Old 04-16-2002, 01:36 PM

I also had a problem like yours when I had the old smaller idler. The new large one is supposed to be much more durable. I also had to be towed when my idler exploded. One thing, the belt was a hell of alot easier to change with the small pulley.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 97 Steeda GT #007
  • 670rwhp ,570rwtq with JT-trim (16psi) and C-116
  • 613rwhp on pump gas
  • Built and Tuned by Modular Powerhouse
  • [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-16-2002, 01:53 PM

How do you know if you have the smaller idler pulley? I may want to do some proactive maintenance...
post #5 of 10 Old 04-16-2002, 02:53 PM

Does your idler look like this? If not then yours is the old one. As you can tell...running the 3.6" pully it's REALLY tight squeeze for the belt.

post #6 of 10 Old 04-16-2002, 04:52 PM

This was a common problem with the older (smaller) idler pulley. It happened on mine (seized up), shredded the belt and I had to get towed.

Contact Vortech about it, it is a known design flaw and they will ship you a new bracket with a *much* improved idler pulley for free under the warranty. Besides a strengthened pulley design, a side benefit is you'll get a better wrap on the blower drive pulley which translates to less slippage/more boost (and yes, the larger idler means it is more difficult to install the belt).

You will have to provide a credit card number if you want the replacement bracket/pulley shipped in advance of the return, but they will refund the $240.00 something dollars when they receive your old bracket back. Good upgrade.

Chris
post #7 of 10 Old 04-16-2002, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Wow...yep, mine was definitely the smaller pulley. Funny thing is I just called Vortech and they said they have no history of any idler pulley's going bad for my car and the 2000 kit.

That braket you guys are talking about...would that still apply to the 2000 kit? Isn't the Vortech mounting bracket different between 99 and 00? To change out the pulley, I'd have to take off the whole bracket...99's you don't.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-16-2002, 08:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Never had the idler itself "crack" but was shredding belts like there was no tomorrow. Switched to the new "idler" style pulley and had no problems. Vortech charged me and nothing was free by the way even though they know abou that poor design.... I think it was around $150 bones.

SOHC/DOHC Corral Moderator
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Part-Owner,
and

'00 Ford F-350 7.3 Turdbo Diesel

'03 Droptop Cobra
'99 Cobra "10 Second Street car" (SOLD!)
Blown GT ([email protected]) ---> SOLD
'00 Camaro (Couple of bolt-ons) - [email protected] (Jun 2011).
AOL: Blown284
post #9 of 10 Old 04-16-2002, 08:22 PM

The bracket is VERY DIFFERENT from the 96-99 and the 00+ motors. They have a much different belt routing scheme than a 96-99 and are a PITFA to get the belt on right.

JAmes

The Internet's 1st Mustang Enthusiasts Club
post #10 of 10 Old 04-16-2002, 08:40 PM

If you call vortech they will admit nothing. Check out the post where I called them on it and they lied in responding. However, they shipped me 2 pulleys because both their Gen I and Gen II pulleys failed. Both were bearing failure from spinning too fast. It is a common problem, I would like to see them just admit it and take care of their customers.

BTW, I just got my repaired blower back from them and 3 bolts stipped out within 30 days. I think they just got even with me. Hmm, no bolts strip out in 2 years and 3 in 30 days on a rebuilt unit I just get back from them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement