Magnaflow: If you don't have it, GET IT - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thumbs up Magnaflow: If you don't have it, GET IT

I just installed the Magnaflow catback on my 2000 GT last night. Total install time was about 2.5 hours. This catback system is worth every penny. It is very high quality. No cheap aluminized crap, just high quality SS tubing. The cat back fits like a glove. There were zero install issues. Most people have problems try to get the pipe over the axel, not with this kit. It took me a whole 1 minute to do it. Even the exhaust clamps are high quality. Not to mention, unlike most other manufactures, the parts came individually wrapped in plastic, and then placed in a large foam padded box. There is no chance that the product is going to get damaged during shipping. Unlike the crappy job MAC did when I got my Prochamber, no packing = dent in exhaust Also, the kit comes with adjustable 3.5" tail pipes. This is a great idea. No more misaligned tips. You can set the amount of tip you want to show. You want every one to notice, you can stick them out farther. You want to go for the conservative look, adjust them in further. All I can say is that this product is worth every penny of the $420 I paid for it.

As for sound, these mufflers sound awesome. At idle and light throttle (cruising down the highway) they are practically the same as stock. No annoying drone or anything, just a low exhaust note. However, when you mash the throttle then it is a whole different story The exhaust comes alive and makes a wonderful aggressive sound. They are not the loudest mufflers in the world, but they are plenty loud enough for most people. Every one with in 50 yards will be turning their heads. The exhaust note is low and powerful, with out any crackling or popping. This is the sound I have been looking for. Quite when just cruising, and mean as heck when you are on the throttle.

I really don't know if I picked up much hp, but again I am mostly stock. The true test will come this weekend at Fun Ford. I usually trap around 99 mph, and we will see what my new trap speeds are. Hopefully I can break the 100 mph barrier

I give Magnaflow two thumbs up. If you are looking for a high quality great sounding catback, then Magnaflow is it.

I am going to try and get some sound files so you guys can hear it for yourselves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 10:49 AM

I agree with you completely. I love the sound of the Magnaflows.

2001 Mineral Grey GT, Tri-Ax, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Bullitt Suspension, Steeda LCA's, more to come since it is now paid off....
post #3 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 11:10 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Slider - Let me know when you have that wav file. I'm looking to place an order for one this week if I can still get in that GP that's been discussed.

Good to hear that the drone issue is not an issue. I had a Contour with the SVT quasi-dual exhaust with no resonator. I hated that drone and so did most people that rode in it. Thanks for the details, now I'm getting anxious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordie View Post
no but it makes you look like fubar with all the bitching about nothing, bumping threads from 2 years ago to bitch some more

bitch bitch bitch, turn out to be wrong. Just trying to save you from looking like a jackass. guess Im too late though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 11:14 AM

One other thing - what part number did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordie View Post
no but it makes you look like fubar with all the bitching about nothing, bumping threads from 2 years ago to bitch some more

bitch bitch bitch, turn out to be wrong. Just trying to save you from looking like a jackass. guess Im too late though.
post #5 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 11:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Good review. BUT, you are gonna kick yourself. I bought my magnaflow catback for $330 shipped to my door via 3 Day FedEx.

The place I bought my kit from was:

Full Line Exhaust, Inc
1-800-264-8035
I spoke with Ray. I ordered it on the 8th(Monday) of this month and I had it on the 12th(Friday). Not a bad turn around.

Hope this saves everyone a little $$$ on a sweet cat back. Mine is still in the box but will be going on this weekend at the same time as my Longtubes, O/R H-pipe, and tubular K-member.... wwoooohooo!!

88 LX 5.0 Vert
post #6 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cw21726
One other thing - what part number did you get?

http://www.magnaflow.com/03cat-mustang.htm
post #7 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by blue88mustang
Good review. BUT, you are gonna kick yourself. I bought my magnaflow catback for $330 shipped to my door via 3 Day FedEx.

The place I bought my kit from was:

Full Line Exhaust, Inc
1-800-264-8035
I spoke with Ray. I ordered it on the 8th(Monday) of this month and I had it on the 12th(Friday). Not a bad turn around.

Hope this saves everyone a little $$$ on a sweet cat back. Mine is still in the box but will be going on this weekend at the same time as my Longtubes, O/R H-pipe, and tubular K-member.... wwoooohooo!!
Yeah, I saw someone post that info the day after I ordered mine. It would of been nice to save $90, but oh well. The cat back is still worth the $420 I paid for it. This is really a top notch system.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 12:54 PM

I have heard nothing but good about the magnaflow but I will stick with my Borla. They are probably the 2 best IMO! Glad to hear you like it. Keep modding!

Few cars...
post #9 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 01:07 PM

So, how do the Magnaflows compare in volume to 2-chamber flows? Quieter, or ?

I really like the sound of the flows on my 98 Cobra -- even with the drone, the classic sound is nice.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 01:15 PM

I’ve got an O/R X pipe and was thinking of this cat back? Will this sound good considering it’s a straight through design? I’m not looking for anything too loud but I do want it to sound throaty and mean!

thanks
--Brian

post #11 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 02:21 PM

I have this cat-back on my 99 cobra also. How the hell do you adjust the tailpipes? Someone else mentioned this to me and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do it because my passenger side tip is about 1-1.5 inches shorter than the driver's side. Can someone tell me how to fix it?
post #12 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 02:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
ToplessCobra:

If you like the sound of two chamber flowmasters you won't want the magnaflows. Like SliderGT said they sound stock until you open it up. I have two chamber fowmasters/h pipe on one car, sounds like a muscle car shakes windows etc. , have x pipe / magnaflows on my other car is quiet at low rpms and has an import? sound wide open. Magnaflow does make quality stuff it just depends on what you like.

BTW: The import? sound may be partly to do with the x pipe. I have not heard magnaflows with an h pipe.

Jason.

2002 Gt

Sold, :-(
01 Cobra powered 2000 GT Best time: [email protected]

Last edited by RacinJason07; 04-16-2002 at 02:37 PM.
post #13 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 02:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by 99blkcobra
I have this cat-back on my 99 cobra also. How the hell do you adjust the tailpipes? Someone else mentioned this to me and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do it because my passenger side tip is about 1-1.5 inches shorter than the driver's side. Can someone tell me how to fix it?
You may have an older version of the 99+ Cobra catback. I believe these catbacks did not feature adjustable tips, however with some coercion you might be able to get the catback to "hang" just right. On the "newer" version, the tips are adjustable via an Allen wrench, try a search for my username, I posted a pictorial a couple weeks ago of how the 99+ Cobra catback looks in the modular forum (as well as in the SVT forum over at Stangnet.com). Best of luck...

'01 Cobra Coupe From 6.01 - 9.15
'94 Cobra Coupe From 9.09 - 6.11
'14 F-150 Raptor SCAB Deliv 3.14
post #14 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 04:51 PM

?

Quote:
Originally posted by RacinJason07

Like SliderGT said they sound stock until you open it up.

Jason.
So when you say open it up what RPM does it change from stock sound to turning heads sound? I'm planning on ordering the catback next weekend, but when I hear this talk about sounding like stock exhaust I get a little worried and start thinking about magnapacks, but I heard they are not a deep loud, but just loud as hell and I don't want that. I want "shake your windows loud" when I'm into the gas(2500+) without the flowmaster sound. I also would like it to be a deeper and more aggressive at idle and low rpms. I have an off road x pipe on the car already! Let me know what you think and if anyone has sound files, send them my way. Thanks!
post #15 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 06:23 PM

Another vote for the Magnaflows. I have the old-school Magnaflow cat-back and I've got to say that they are the best sounding and quality mufflers that I've ever seen. For the price and even if they were more expensive, they just can't be beat. WELL WORTH THE MONEY.
post #16 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 06:25 PM

If you have an x pipe, preferably an off road one(bassani or magnaflow)...then the magnaflow catback is the best combination out there for them.

You do not want a chambered muffler with an x pipe...1st is sounds like **** and 2nd its just stupid cause it defeats the puspose of buying an xpipe since its strait flow.

I got my magnaflow catback from steve @ houston performance $350 shipped to my door and $270 shipped for my bassani o/r x pipe.

If you have a convertible like me, you do not want the magnapack option...and i love noise.

later
robert

99 silver gt vert w/ black top
automatic tranny

k&n
bassani off road x pipe w/ mil eliminators(dallas mustang)
magnaflow catback w/ 3.5" chrome tips(wow)

on order: steeda t/a, steeda pullies(replacement), steeda g trac stage 1 & 2, wms cai, saleen pedals
post #17 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 06:29 PM

I've got BBK longtubes, off-road H, and the magnapacks on my '98 cobra. When first started it up , THe rumbling idle sounded like my flowmasters. So, then I hit the gas. HOLY S%&T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THese things are loud as hell! Kinda like a glasspack but not. Just straight loud. Nice rumble at idle and lower RPM, But as soon as those throttle blades hit 180* you better get away from the pipes!

'11 GT
'87 Turbo Coupe
'94 F-150
post #18 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 06:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
nathanstl:

If you are looking for "shake your windows loud" around or @ 2500 it's not going to happen with magnaflows. I have turndowns on mine and would guess it would take at least 4500 to start to do that, if you have tail pipes it will take more than that. Some guys think the magnaflow setup is loud, maybe thay are used to stock exhaust but if you ever had an o/r h pipe and some well worn two chamber flows it makes the magnaflows sound stock.

I'm not trying to bash magnaflows, I have them because everyone said they make more power but I want to see on the dyno if it is worth not having the sound I want.

Jason.

2002 Gt

Sold, :-(
01 Cobra powered 2000 GT Best time: [email protected]
post #19 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: ?

Quote:
Originally posted by nathanstl
So when you say open it up what RPM does it change from stock sound to turning heads sound? I'm planning on ordering the catback next weekend, but when I hear this talk about sounding like stock exhaust I get a little worried and start thinking about magnapacks, but I heard they are not a deep loud, but just loud as hell and I don't want that. I want "shake your windows loud" when I'm into the gas(2500+) without the flowmaster sound. I also would like it to be a deeper and more aggressive at idle and low rpms. I have an off road x pipe on the car already! Let me know what you think and if anyone has sound files, send them my way. Thanks!
The sound is more dependant of throttle position then rpm. They are only quiet at light throttle. When you step on the gas no matter what the rpm they get a lot louder.

These are not window shaking loud mufflers. I don't even know if I would call them loud, loud is relative. They are louder than stock by quite a bit. The real difference from stock is the sound. It is a nice deep "powerful" tone. It just sounds good to my ears. They are not so loud that I cannot hear myself think, but the tone of the sound says look out No raspyness, crackling, or resonanting, just quality powerful sound. It is just right for my daily driver/race car. Maybe now I will be able to hear my car when I am at the track. Those guys with open headers on their big blocks drown out all sound with in a 5 mile radius.

Last edited by SliderGT; 04-16-2002 at 07:12 PM.
post #20 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 07:12 PM

Slider,

Are you going to be headed down with UMC? I am seriously considering the magna's for my car and would like to check the sound out on yours. Hope to see you at FFW.

Look for the silver 01 convertable.
post #21 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 01GTRagtopDude
Slider,

Are you going to be headed down with UMC? I am seriously considering the magna's for my car and would like to check the sound out on yours. Hope to see you at FFW.

Look for the silver 01 convertable.
UMC?

If the weather holds up I will definately be at FFW. Just look for the 2000 Performance Red GT with sequential tail lights and a tiger on the PA license plate.
post #22 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 07:23 PM

Magnaflow catbacks sound awesome.. Below 2500rpm - a bass grumble.. 4000rpm+ Screams like banshee!

Cobra 2001
318 [email protected], 317 ft-lbs [email protected]

Magnaflow Catback
Bassani X w/cats
Densecharger CAI
Steeda Pulleys
FRPP 4.10 gears
Pro 5.0 Shifter
MGW Shifter Handle
JBA 1 5/8" Shorty Headers
Steeda Sport Springs
MM IRS Subframe Bushings
Steeda IRS Bushings
Steeda IRS Brace
87mm Pro-M MAF
post #23 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 07:23 PM

Upstate Mustang Club, we are meeting on Laurens RD at 07:00 to caravan down. Stopping in Anderson and Commerce to meet up with others. details in the looong thread below

FFW thread

UMC message board click message board on the left, then scroll down to message board again and UMC section will be at the bottom if you are interested

UMC message board
post #24 of 25 Old 04-16-2002, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 01GTRagtopDude
Upstate Mustang Club, we are meeting on Laurens RD at 07:00 to caravan down. Stopping in Anderson and Commerce to meet up with others. details in the looong thread below

FFW thread

UMC message board click message board on the left, then scroll down to message board again and UMC section will be at the bottom if you are interested

UMC message board

Thanks for the info. I will try and make it, but I can't promise anything at 7:45am
post #25 of 25 Old 04-17-2002, 12:51 AM

How about FR500 exhaust

Has anyone here tried the FR500 exhaust? I was reading an article about it today, and it sounds fascinating. Quite a bit different from any other cat-back I've seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement