question about banging gears: - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
question about banging gears:

after my last disappointing visit to the racetrack, i've determined that my times are slow due to my shifting, so i've been practicing speed shifting (not POWER shifting). what i've noticed is that sometimes the shifter gets hung up on its way to third gear. i figure its the synchros not lining up, but is there any way to get around that? it's like it hits a snag there or something, at certain rpms. i have a steeda triax, so that's covered. what is holding up the shifter? also, can anyone suggest a good technique for the 2-3 shift?
gino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 08:12 AM

What i usually do is apply pressure to the shifter just before i hit the clutch. In other words if you're shifting from 2nd-3rd apply upward pressure to the shifter before you pop in the clutch. Pressure applied should be firm, not too hard. This makes the shift a little smoother and quicker.

2000 Laser red GT

Dyno Results 11/23/02: 262rwhp & 304lbs/tq

Times:
60': 2.059
1/8: 8.71 @ 81.95
1/4: 13.49 @ 103.23

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gtstang00; 04-16-2002 at 12:24 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 08:54 AM

Also be careful that your clutch foot is not quicker than the hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 12:32 PM

Im sorry guys, but what exactly is speed shifting as opposed to granny shifting? Thanks
post #5 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 12:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I've noticed that as well, I honestly think it's my foot hand coordination on the 2-3.. I've been practicing it A LOT and I still can't get it down. Normal driving, I NEVER EVER miss third with the Tri-Ax, but everytime I race I always mess it up. 1-2 is never a problem.

Granny Shifting is shifting "somewhat normal" even when you are racing, nice slow shift, speed shifting is exactly what it says, shifting very fast but not powershifting. I speedshift at the track. Someone might have a better description for you, I never granny shift

Shawn

2004 Comp Orange Cobra Vert
1995 Cobra R
2003 Shamu Harley Davidson F150

"Run what you brung & hope you've brung enough"
post #6 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 12:52 PM

On a 2-3 shift with a Tri Ax, just palm the knob, don't hold the top of it. The Tri Ax is spring loaded, let the shifter do the work and just push.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 05:31 PM

Ya, I figured that out the last time at the track, but it still has the "brick wall" feeling sometimes.. I think it is my hand foot coordination.. I hope I figure it out sometime.

Shawn

1995 Cobra R

post #8 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 05:46 PM

As I understand it:

Speed Shifting is not letting your foot off the gas when you shift.

Granny shifting is let your foot off the gas pressin the clutch and shift the gears.

Powershifting is shifting without using the clutch at the time when the synchros match up with the gears.

Double-Clutching is pressing in the clutch, put the car in neutral & push the gas then push the clutch back in and press the gas.
post #9 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 06:47 PM

I wouldn't rule out it being a shift fork.

When mine went bad, you could granny shift it into 3rd, but anything over 4500rpms and the thing wouldn't go into gear.

Nothing worse than cruising Woodward Ave. on a summer night with no 3rd gear!!

Detroit peeps know what I'm talking about!
post #10 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

i think it has to do with engine speed...last time at the track the shifter got hung up on 4th! could not get the little bastard in for all i was worth. i was dead even with this lt1 camaro, too...until that shift
gino

post #11 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 06:50 PM

Ya, I am not ruling anything out, but I guess I will have to detroy it before anyone will fix it. It's been in the shop plenty for the tranny along with numerous other things.. It's always a normal operation comment from them.

I thought the shiftfork problem on the T3560's was on the 1-2? I dunno.

Shawn

1995 Cobra R

post #12 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 07:26 PM

How do you leave your foot on the gas when shifting without hitting the rev limiter or burying your tach? That sounds dangerous... I mean assuming you shift at the redline, if you leave your foot on the gas as you shift your RPM's will shoot up significantly higher when the clutch disengages and there is no resistance right? Maybe I don't fully understand the concept...
post #13 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 07:56 PM

You gota be fast. If you do it fast you may jump 100-300 RPM. It's bad for it, yes. Without a shifter with positive stops, it's real bad. I do it at least once everyday. It makes me feel better, tension just melts along with the tires. TRY IT, The REV limiter is there for a reason. To "KEEP" you from blowing it up so give it a try!

91 Sonic Blue GT

Forged 306, gt40p ported heads, explorer intake, AFM N41 cam, 75mm Pro M, 70mm Accufab, 24# injectors, Kirban Reg, 100 shot NX, BBK long tubes, H pipe, Trem. 3550 Centerforce, Billet fly wheel, 4.10 gears, 96 Cobra Brakes & Wheels.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

i actually have a t-45 in my car, so i don't know about the 1-2 shift problems. as far as the tranny is concerned, it's good for my purposes. i don't like to powershift (hell, i wouldn't even know how) so i can deal with it. maybe when i start pushing some real power i can worry about that. but i still have to deal with this pesky shifter thing. car works fine everyday, and when parked the shifter moves freely...i just hate blowing runs.
gino
post #15 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 09:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Powershifting is when you don't let off the gas pedal at all between shifts. You'll find that the trans shifts easier (at least that was my experience) and you don't always hit the limiter between shifts. I'm not saying it is great for the trans but you will definitely get the fastest et's that way. Speedshifting is simply shifting as fast as you can while letting off the gas a "little" between shifts.
BTW, I always powershift at the track.
Bob

96GT with lots of mods
post #16 of 22 Old 04-16-2002, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boss96
Powershifting is when you don't let off the gas pedal at all between shifts. BTW, I always powershift at the track.
Bob
That would be SPEEDshifting, POWERshifting is when you don't touch the clutch pedal between shifts.....
post #17 of 22 Old 04-17-2002, 12:29 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by GrussR

That would be SPEEDshifting, POWERshifting is when you don't touch the clutch pedal between shifts.....
Maybe it's me but how do you not use the clutch when you shift?

And how many times have you ground your gears?

I have never ever herd of not useing the clutch for shifting...
post #18 of 22 Old 04-17-2002, 05:19 AM

Ran into this link before... Hope it helps..

http://chad.aplus.net/garage/drag_strip/powershift.htm
post #19 of 22 Old 04-17-2002, 07:51 AM

Powershifting

Quote:
Originally posted by GrussR

I agree with Boss96. "Powershifting" is when you shift without letting your foot off the gas. "Speedshifting" is the same as "granny shifting" except that you do it at a faster rate. What powershifting and speedshifting have in common is that you've got to bang them gears in quickly. The technique you're talking about WickedSnake is used alot by truckers. It's when you have to wait for the engine speed to match your gear speed before you can slide the shifter into place. In other words it's time consuming and i highly doubt when people are referring to themselves as "powershifting" at the track, that they're using this technique.

2000 Laser red GT

Times:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-17-2002, 10:15 AM

I really don't think it's possible to speedshift without using the clutch...especially with todays tranny's. Old school Muncie rock Crushers? Perhaps. T45? You COULD, maybe a couple two or three times, but you'd soon see pieces of the tranny in your rear view mirror!

I occassionally, when bored or what not, will shift my truck without using the clutch. But it's smooth and easy shifts and when timed just right, slips into the next gear with no trouble or noise at all. It will only do this at moderate rpms. If the rev's are too high, it won't do it.

I don't see how you could possibly 'force' the tranny to shift from 1-2 or 2-3 WITHOUT using the clutch. I know you don't need the clutch to shift OUT of gear, but you do need it to get INTO gear.
post #21 of 22 Old 04-17-2002, 10:43 AM

Please do not buy into the fast and furious crap. a power shift is the only way to get max et from a 5-speed mustang. For the question at the begining of this post, check your shifter install. make sure the plastic cup inside the shifter is not broken. then try pushing the very back of the shifter and letting the spring detents find third for you. when you get pretty clean shifts, start power shifting the 1-2 shift (gas stays on the floor, a quick stab at the clutch while you slam the shifter in the next gear). if the stops are set right on the shifter and you are not running slicks you should be fine. after a while you will be able to nail all three shifts and will pick up between 3-5 tenths in the quarter. It also helps to pray to the tremec gods. ray
post #22 of 22 Old 04-17-2002, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Magic 02 GT
Please do not buy into the fast and furious crap. . It also helps to pray to the tremec gods. ray
LOL! They added another technique into the mix there. It's the double clutching technique while at the same time you're powershifting. I've tried this before and it's just too much for my mind to grasp at the moment(kinda like rubbing your stomach while patting your head), when all you're trying to do is "smoke 'em".

2000 Laser red GT

Times:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement