Speedcal ????? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-15-2002, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Speedcal ?????

What is a speecal and were do I get one. THANKS. I'm getting sick of buying 23 tooth speedo gears by the bag.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-15-2002, 09:42 PM

Re: Speedcal ?????

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Ryan
What is a speecal and were do I get one. THANKS. I'm getting sick of buying 23 tooth speedo gears by the bag.
A speedcal recalibrates the speedo, you can pick one up from Dallas Mustang for about 99. Really easy to install and program

post #3 of 16 Old 04-15-2002, 09:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Garage
A SpeedCal is an electronic speedometer compensator designed by TriBlkCobra, who happens to frequent this board.

It plugs in between your vehicle's speed sensor and the computer in order to modify the speed signal. You program it by setting some dip switches in the box. The instructions are pretty good, and the install is fairly easy.

You can get them from here:

http://www.dallasmustang.com/speedcal_about.htm

or here:

http://www.brothersperformance.com/s...ospeedcal.html

They are the same units, BBK's is just cheaper (no sticker on the lid). I bought mine from BBK for $89.14 shipped.

1991 Oxford White LX 5.0 Hatch - 332K + miles; daily driver
1998 Chrome Yellow Cobra Convertible - 85K + miles; fair weather cruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-15-2002, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks yellow 98. I knew some one had the address.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-15-2002, 10:38 PM

Does it just use the dip switches to select various resistances to change the voltage coming from the sensor?

I'm curious if it'd be possible to get some numbers and do some testing myself. I'll be ordering one of these myself as well (because I like to support the innovative cause that these guys champion) but I'm naturally curious so it won't be long before I have some ideas on a less expensive custom solution tailored explicitly for some gearsets and tire combinations.

Any ideas?
post #6 of 16 Old 04-15-2002, 10:51 PM

Hmm my speedcal is sitting in my tool box un-opened. My 23 tooth gear is just fine so far with 3k+ miles on it.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-15-2002, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by p0lar
Does it just use the dip switches to select various resistances to change the voltage coming from the sensor?

I'm curious if it'd be possible to get some numbers and do some testing myself. I'll be ordering one of these myself as well (because I like to support the innovative cause that these guys champion) but I'm naturally curious so it won't be long before I have some ideas on a less expensive custom solution tailored explicitly for some gearsets and tire combinations.

Any ideas?
No, the switches feed the custom arithematic logic unit inside the gate array chip which does the math. The switches correspond to a binary constant which tells the ALU how much scale the VSS signal period by. Unfortunately, its not as simple as a couple of resistors.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-15-2002, 11:18 PM

Excellent information, now I'll know what *not* to mess with.

Trading a hundred dollar bill for the speedcal looks better and better every time I think about it!

Plus, it seems through this board, I've found someone who can do the labour on the gearswap in my IRS for $200, so it's a no-lose situation!

Out of curiositiy, would it be any less expensive just to sell a unit that plugged in that was programmed for a specific combination without having any adjustability? (i.e. 4.30:1 gears, 26" tires, etc. etc.) Or, does that really just defeat your original intention of having a one-part-for-all scenario?

FWIW, I wasn't trying to downplay your product's innovation, I was just curious about how it functioned, which you answered quite professionaly. Most manufacturers and designers wouldn't say anything. Thanks again, and you can expect my business!
post #9 of 16 Old 04-16-2002, 09:54 AM

I dont see any reason to hide how the unit works. Anyone with enough skill to reverse engineer it is going to figure out everything I said anyway. We decided on the switches as a universal approach over fixed compensation factors since it also applies across other vehicle manufacturers (not just Mustang 8.8's with gear swaps). As far as being innovative, hey the Abbott was there first so I cant really claim innovation there...
post #10 of 16 Old 04-16-2002, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Will it work on a T-bird with a 4.6 and a T-45 tranny. Thanks

post #11 of 16 Old 04-16-2002, 10:20 AM

I have a DM speedcal for sale. email [email protected]
post #12 of 16 Old 04-16-2002, 10:46 AM

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Ryan
Will it work on a T-bird with a 4.6 and a T-45 tranny. Thanks
Dont see why it shouldnt, but I'm working with a guy who is going to put one on his Super Coupe. After we hear, I'll post back.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-16-2002, 04:29 PM
DLF

Trader Feedback: (2)
Re: Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by TriBlkCobra

Dont see why it shouldnt, but I'm working with a guy who is going to put one on his Super Coupe. After we hear, I'll post back.
Gee, I wonder who that would be?

I'll be under the car this weekend.

However, I think his situation is different, as I'm dealing with the M5R2 transmission. If the T-45 VSS is working now in the T-Bird, I'm sure the SpeedCal will work.

98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T56/IRS)
12.483 @ 110.94
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd
12.879 @ 106.66

Last edited by DLF; 04-16-2002 at 04:31 PM.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-16-2002, 04:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by DLF

Gee, I wonder who that would be?

I'll be under the car this weekend.

However, I think his situation is different, as I'm dealing with the M5R2 transmission. If the T-45 VSS is working now in the T-Bird, I'm sure the SpeedCal will work.
Doug I agree it should work, just honestly didnt know cause I havent tried it. But if the car has an EEC-V and is already using a T-45 then yes, I see no reason why it shouldnt work. Let me know how it works out with the SC...
post #15 of 16 Old 04-16-2002, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

I have the EEC-V with a very custom Custom-chip I had made so the check engine light doesn't go off because all the electronics arn't hookup and so the OD light doesn't flash.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-16-2002, 09:12 PM

Then I'm guessing it outta work just fine Charlie. If you try it post back what you find!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement