Have gears, new chip needed? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-15-2002, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Have gears, new chip needed?

I'm doing my mods piece by piece. I'd like to install my new 3.73's and Steeda tri-ax. Do I need a new chip for the gears? For my next mod I'm installing my SVO headers and Bassani X w/ cat back. Would I need a new chip for that too?

I doubt I need a new chip for these mods but I'd like to make sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-15-2002, 08:38 PM

For the gears, first off we need to know what year and transmisson you have in your car. For 96 to 98, you can do a different driven gear or electronic adapter but not a chip. For 99+ manuals you can do a chip or an electronic adapter. For 99+ autos you have to do a chip.

Also, if have an auto you have to do a chip anyway to fix the shift points regardless of year.

And for the mods you have listed, personally I would wait until you are done with all of your boltons and then do a dyno tune to have a chip burnt just for your car. Just MHO...

post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2002, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, as I was driving around today I realized that it would have helped if I let you know the details. My baby is a 98 GT 5 speed. The thing about burning a chip on a dyno is that the closest dyno/chip shop is 750 km away. So, I'd like to squeeze as many mods in before making the long journey to a shop. My mods:
-Pro M 80 mm cal for 24 #ers
-FR intake
-FR heads
-FR shorty's
-FR windage tray
-FR 3.73 w/ speedo gear
-SHM cams
-Steeda 24# injectors
-Steeda U/D pulleys (installed)
-Steeda Tri-ax
-Steeda low ohm ignition cables
-Removed intake silencer (done)
-Bassani X pipe w/ cats and cat back
-Holley 190 L/h fuel pump
-180 Stat
-Adjustable FPR
-Going w/ a Diablo Sport or Autologic chip (not sure what's better)
-Bosch Platinum 4+ plugs

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2002, 12:45 AM

The '98s need a 23 tooth gear in the speedo (mechanical). The 99+ need a speed comp or new chip (electonic).

Cobra 2001
318 [email protected], 317 ft-lbs [email protected]

Magnaflow Catback
Bassani X w/cats
Densecharger CAI
Steeda Pulleys
FRPP 4.10 gears
Pro 5.0 Shifter
MGW Shifter Handle
JBA 1 5/8" Shorty Headers
Steeda Sport Springs
MM IRS Subframe Bushings
Steeda IRS Bushings
Steeda IRS Brace
87mm Pro-M MAF
post #5 of 9 Old 04-16-2002, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

I know, it's just that I read on another thread a while ago that you have to tell your computer you have new gears. Forget about the speedo correction for now, I want to know if I can pop these 3.73's in and the EEC 5 computer will accept them. One of the parameters chip makers need to know is your existing diff. Would I need a Diablo or Autologic or Speedchip chip if I replace the 3.27's with 3.73's.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-16-2002, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by esandes
I know, it's just that I read on another thread a while ago that you have to tell your computer you have new gears. Forget about the speedo correction for now, I want to know if I can pop these 3.73's in and the EEC 5 computer will accept them. One of the parameters chip makers need to know is your existing diff. Would I need a Diablo or Autologic or Speedchip chip if I replace the 3.27's with 3.73's.

You do not need to burn a new chip after installing gears. If you don't mind being 10-15MPH for a while, then go for it. The speedo tooth gear will fix the MPH problem, no chip burn is necessary.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-16-2002, 08:05 AM

I put in 3.73's and used a Dallas SpeedCal to correct the speedometer. The speedometer works fine but I later found out the car wouldn't reach redline in 3rd gear. I talked to a chip person and he said since I changed the gears the car was hitting a speed limiter in third. I am now in the process of getting a chip burned to eliminate the speed limiters. If I would have known this I wouldn't have had to spend the extra $100 on the SpeedCal since I have to get a chip anyway.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-16-2002, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary01GT
I put in 3.73's and used a Dallas SpeedCal to correct the speedometer. The speedometer works fine but I later found out the car wouldn't reach redline in 3rd gear. I talked to a chip person and he said since I changed the gears the car was hitting a speed limiter in third. I am now in the process of getting a chip burned to eliminate the speed limiters. If I would have known this I wouldn't have had to spend the extra $100 on the SpeedCal since I have to get a chip anyway.
Sorry, but thats just bad information. With a manual tranny on a 99+ car the electronic adapter is just fine for recomping the speedo. The speed limiter is driven by the measured MPH, and the electronic adapter should have rescaled that. And having a chip burned just to remove speed limiters is a bigger waste of money. I hope you at least have some mods and are going to bump the fuel/air curves and timing also.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-16-2002, 04:08 PM

gears

i have a 97 gt and i have 373 gears in it headers and nos x pipe and msd. i dont have a chip in it and it runs great. it mit be the msd helping but i ran 373 gears in my car for 5mouth and had no problems with it runing so i dont thing u need a chip but every pice help it cant hurt you to put on in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement